|Attack|| : Average (10) |
: Average (10)
Blue Pikmin (青ピクミン?), as their name implies, are a blue species of Pikmin that reside on PNF-404. This type of Pikmin is present in all three Pikmin games, and in all of them, it is the last type to be discovered. Besides coloration, these Pikmin are distinguishable from other Pikmin species by their pink mouths, a trait seen in no other Pikmin species. These mouths are used to take in water, which filters oxygen through the gills located on their cheeks. This gives them the astonishing ability to live their lives completely underwater. Producing more Blue Pikmin can be easily done by dragging nutrients or animal carcasses to the blue Onion or by throwing other species into a Lapis Lazuli Candypop Bud. As with the other main types of Pikmin, their buds and flowers are white.
Traits and abilities
Only the Blue Pikmin and Bulbmin can safely traverse watery areas; any other type will simply flail around in panic before drowning. Winged Pikmin may move and carry objects above the surface of the water, but if thrown onto a pool, they will not be able to swim. While in water, the Blue Pikmin behave almost the same as they do on land. If they are idle and see a nearby Pikmin drowning in water, they will quickly run to them, pick them up, and throw them to shore. However, they will not rescue Pikmin if they are a certain distance away, so they can't always be relied on. In Pikmin 3, this feature was removed, and Blue Pikmin now also have the ability to swim freely while in pursuit, something necessary to reach some enemies that lie above the ground level.
Blue Pikmin seem to be the most balanced Pikmin species; they have average attack power, durability, mobility and throw distance. Blue Pikmin have very little utility outside of water, as most enemies that pose water hazards can easily be defeated without Blues.
Blue Pikmin are the last species of Pikmin encountered by the player. In Pikmin, Olimar finds the dormant blue Onion in The Forest Navel, which proves to be a big help in the aquatic area, The Distant Spring. Their Onion is found near the massive stump holding the Automatic Gear, and is located inside a small pond.
In Pikmin 2, 5 Blue Pikmin are found in the Awakening Wood. This is first hinted at when the Onion stops spitting out seeds, but there are only a reported 95 out 100 Pikmin on the field. They are found chasing a few Wogpoles beyond an electric gate guarded by a Cloaking Burrow-nit at the north of the map. To obtain them, Olimar and Louie break down the gate with the Yellow Pikmin, and proceed to take them under their command.
In Pikmin 3, the blue Onion is found in the Garden of Hope, but can only be found after Louie has absconded from the Koppaites. The explorers chase after him, but instead find an Onion trapped under a Flukeweed. From this, the blue Onion is found, and the explorers discover the Blue Pikmin, which prove to be essential in finding Louie.
Blue Pikmin are needed to recover the following objects, and to kill the following enemies.
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by
- Ship parts
- Positron Generator: The ship is on a Pearly Clamclamp on a beach. Although by using small islands on the beach, it is possible to attack the Pearly Clamclamp using Red or Yellow Pikmin, and the ship part can then be pushed out of the water with the lying down glitch.
- Radiation Canopy: The path that Olimar needs to cross is blocked by a gate on a body of water. However, with precise throws, it's possible to throw bomb-rock Yellow Pikmin to the top of the gate, and destroy it without needing Blues.
- Geiger Counter: In order to reach the Burrowing Snagret that holds the ship part, a cardboard box must be pushed out of the way, and Blue Pikmin need to be guided from a puddle to the backside of the box. Although it is possible to use other Pikmin to throw the box, either with long throws or by throwing them to the top of the box and guiding them to the back.
- Sagittarius: Two bridges must be built to reach the part, but one of them can only be reached by tossing Pikmin while in a large pond. Luckily, there is a small protrusion on the island that allows non-Blue Pikmin to shore on, and from there, they can be thrown at the bridge. To reach the bit of land, the Pikmin can just swim towards it from the mainland.
- Analog Computer: This ship part is submerged in water, although it can be taken out using the lying down glitch.
- Number 1 Ionium Jet: Same as the Analog Computer.
- Libra: Blue Pikmin are needed to activate the geyser that gives Olimar access to the first high ledge. Although it is possible to have other Pikmin types open the geyser: if they are guided towards it, they might land one or two hits before starting their drowning sequence. They can just be called back, and the process can be repeated until the geyser is enabled.
- Anti-Dioxin Filter: The part is on a large pool of water, but with the lying down glitch, it is possible to take it out without Blues.
- Secret Safe: The island with the bridges is in the middle of the lake, meaning Blue Pikmin must traverse it to reach it. That said, it is not too hard to guide Red or Yellow Pikmin to the island, by whistling them to it while they're drowning.
- Goolix: No other Pikmin type can touch its body.
- Air Brake: Only Blue Pikmin can use the seesaw blocks that are underwater. With long throws and/or the high ledge glitch, Yellow or Purple Pikmin can access the ledge the treasure is on and carry it back safely.
- Decorative Goo: The path to carry the treasure back to the ship goes through water.
- Onion Replica: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Optical Illustration (US) / Abstract Masterpiece (Europe): Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Massage Girdle: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- The first clog on the Valley of Repose must be destroyed by Blue Pikmin in order to drain the lake and continue to the second half of the area.
- In order to access the southern part of the Wistful Wild, an underwater clog must be taken down. The only way to bring things back to the landing site is to build the bridge on the other side of a lake; provided the player has destroyed the clog, they can go around and build it with any Pikmin type, but if not, Blues will have to cross the lake and build it.
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by.
Olimar's Voyage Log“
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Blue Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U as kinds of Pikmin that Olimar can pull from the ground via Pikmin Pluck, his standard special move, as well as trophies. They are the only Pikmin that don't drown in water, are more durable than other types of Pikmin (besides Purple Pikmin). They also throw opponents the farthest with Olimar's grab attack. They can withstand water moves like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. or Squirtle's water gun. Olimar is most likely to pull up a Blue Pikmin if he is on a water-based surface, such as a cloud or ice.
Blue Pikmin also have a sticker of them in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Smash 4 trophy
- Wii U
The stages of Blue Pikmin.
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin being plucked by Captain Olimar.
A Blue Pikmin and a Yellow Pikmin carrying a raspberry.
Pikmin 3 concept art depicting a Blue Pikmin riding atop an Iridescent Flint Beetle.
Names in other languages
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Pikmin Azul||Blue "Pikmin"||Translation taken from the Pikmin instruction manual.|
| Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin • Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Bulbmin|
Mushroom Pikmin • Olimar as Pikmin