This article or section needs to be cleaned up, either its format or general style.
Scientific name: Oculus kageyamii
The Bulborb is a species of the Grub-dog family which consists of three subspecies. They are some of the most dangerous enemies in the Pikmin games, but also some of the most common, appearing in almost every area in both games. Bulborbs are nocturnal and sleep during most of the day, preferring to hunt at night. Dwarf Bulborbs were thought to be juvenile Bulborbs up until the end of Pikmin, and were correctly classified as members of the Breadbug family in Pikmin 2. Captain Olimar noted that Bulborbs looked similar to his dog, Bulbie, which is how they got their name.
The Bulborbs are generally the same physically, usually having minor differences such as color or size. All Bulborbs are bipedal, have fangs, a rounded colored backside, two stalk eyes and large snouts coupled with their large mouths. They will usually let out a loud yawn before falling asleep which is then followed by loud snoring.
Bulborbs are apex predators of the Pikmin world. They have high vitality and enormous appetites, being able to chomp as many as five Pikmin with one bite. However, this also means that they have no natural enemies, and often leave themselves completely exposed while sleeping. Take advantage of this by sneaking up behind a sleeping Bulborb and mobbing it with Pikmin for a fast and easy kill, or toss Pikmin onto its back to ensure minimal loss. Bulborbs can vary in terms of strength and aggression.
There are three known subspecies of Bulborb, each having unique coloration and characteristics which better suit them to different environments. They are:
- The Red Bulborb - Oculus kageyamii russus
- The Hairy Bulborb - Oculus kageyamii folliculus
- The Orange Bulborb - Oculus kageyamii orangium
While not proven to be of the same species of the other 3 Bulborbs, the Whiptongue Bulborb in Pikmin 3 is a clear member of the Grub-dog family.
- In Pikmin, the best way to deal with the Red Bulborb is to have 100 pikmin [any color] with you and go behind it and throw as many pikmin as you can at its rear. it takes a long time for the Red Bulborb to turn around so it should be dead before any pikmin die.
- In Pikmin 2, the creature is known as the Red Bulborb, but the battle strategy stays the same. The other way to fight them in this game is by simply throwing Purple Pikmin on to one's back before it wakes up. The creature will easily be stunned before it can react, and the Pikmin with be able to defeat it before it can recover. This strategy works for Hairy Bulborbs as well, and if pulled off correctly, it should work on Orange Bulborbs with minimal death.
- In Pikmin 3, Purple Pikmin no longer have the ability to stun enemies, so the best way to go about defeating the Bulborbs is the same as it was in Pikmin, but the player may also take advantage of the Bulborb's new sensitive eyes in the game, and defeat one by approaching it from the front with an army of 15 or more Rock Pikmin, and continuosly throwing them at the eyes. The Bulborb will constantly be stunned by this, and will have little time to eat any of the Pikmin
- Bulborbs are the most common enemy found in the Pikmin series.
- Though they act exactly the same, Olimar's Notes suggest that Spotty Bulborbs and Red Bulborbs are quite different creatures.
- Olimar names the Bulborbs after his dog, Bulbie.