Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|North American boxart|
|Developer||Sora and HAL Laboratory|
|Players||1 to 4 players (depends on the mode)|
|Saved game size||128 blocks|
|Japan||January 31st, 2008|
|North America||March 9th, 2008|
|Europe||June 27th, 2008|
|Australia||June 26th, 2008|
|Predecessor||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Sequel||Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U|
This article or section is a short summary on Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX?) is the third installment in Nintendo's cross-series 3D fighting game. It is the first game in the series where Pikmin elements have exceeded a couple of trophies, most notably for the inclusion of Olimar as a playable character.
Olimar & Pikmin
Olimar is featured as one of the playable characters in this game, and is on the starting roster (as opposed to being a secret character that needs to be unlocked). Nearly all of his moves involve the Pikmin, making him dependent on them. Even the simple "grab", in which the player holds an opponent, requires Pikmin. Up to six of these can be plucked from the ground, their type randomly determined. The range of Pikmin covers all of those that are found in Pikmin 2 except Bulbmin. The Pikmin are not affected by attacks when they are with Olimar, but if they are away from him they can be killed rather easily. Olimar does not take damage when this happens, and each dead one allows one more to be pulled from the ground.
Olimar's Pikmin are immune to the same elemental hazards as in the Pikmin games. For example, Blue Pikmin will not drown like other Pikmin when Olimar falls in water (they can also swim if thrown in), Yellow Pikmin can survive going through electrical currents, like those created by Pikachu and various enemies in story mode (even though the electrocution noise is still made), and Red Pikmin are immune to fire attacks, like the flames of Bowser or Charizard. White Pikmin, however, are not immune to Wario's down special attack (which is a heavy flatulence) or any other move which might be considered poison-based. Purple Pikmin have more stamina when attacked (sometimes taking several hits before being killed).
Statistically, Olimar holds the spot as the 3rd best character (behind Meta Knight at Ice Climbers) in the game and the best character in the A+ tier. He is placed there because of his fast and powerful attacks, great match-ups, damage racking abilities, and a good camping game. Many of his moves are unpunishable, and with his variety of Pikmin, unpredictable.
Olimar's moves differ in damage, knockback and range depending on the type and number of Pikmin he has following him.
- Neutral special attack – Pikmin Pluck
- This move allows Olimar to pluck a Pikmin, of which there can exist up to six for one player. The type of Pikmin plucked is random (though based on the terrain Olimar's standing on), with the only exception being in the Home Run Contest, in which case Purple Pikmin can only be plucked. This move can only be performed on the ground, and using it while running with five or fewer Pikmin stops Olimar instantly. It is one of the fastest special moves in the game.
- Side special attack – Pikmin Throw
- Olimar throws the next Pikmin in the line, which sticks to the opponent and does damage, much as it would to enemies in the Pikmin games. Purple Pikmin, however deliver knockback to the foe instead of clinging to the opponent. White Pikmin are particularly effective in this attack because they do three times the damage of any other Pikmin. It should be noted that the high-angled throw of Yellow Pikmin is preserved from the Pikmin games, but that their motion is also slow. White Pikmin move quickly and horizontally when thrown, and Purple Pikmin land short. If hit by a reflector, the confused Pikmin will begin attacking Olimar.
- Down special attack – Pikmin Order
- Olimar calls any idle Pikmin to him with his whistle, which are then organized by type. If this is already the case, the move cycles through the Pikmin, and the order is the same as in Pikmin 2. During the few frames before blowing his whistle, Olimar is invulnerable to knockback, though he can still take damage and be grabbed. The benefit, then, is that a counter attack can be made more quickly than if Olimar had shielded.
- Up special attack – Pikmin Chain
- Olimar throws his Pikmin all together upward, in a chain, at an angle that can be somewhat varied. The move has a high range, proportional to the number of Pikmin at Olimar's side, and fair knockback. Its speed suits the purpose of a surprise attack. Its main purpose is as a form of recovery from off the stage, but it cannot grab an edge that an opponent is hanging onto (unless a Purple is at the tip). This special move is the 2nd longest tether recovery in the game. If this attack hits an enemy, it will shock them, causing around 10-15% of damage.
- Final Smash – End of Day
- Olimar takes off in his spaceship (which traps and hurts enemies if they are next to Olimar, doing about 27% damage from entering to take-off), leaving his opponents alone for Bulborbs to attack them during the sunset. The opponents receive about 47% damage from the Bulborbs' attacks. Afterwards, the ship crash lands back onto the stage, hurting (34%) anyone in its path. Despite being left behind, Olimar's Pikmin are unharmed.
There is a stage based on the Planet of the Pikmin (mostly the Awakening Wood), named the Distant Planet. A Red Bulborb appears on occasion, which can eat players, and some human-made objects are visible, such as an empty drink can. Pellet Posies are seen too, and can produce pellets that, when thrown into Onions, produce items. There is another Bulborb and a Cloaking Burrow-nit in the background, but neither of these two do anything. The music in this stage is taken from several points in the first two games, either directly ripped or remixed. The exceptions are a track consisted entirely of ambience noises, the only one of its kind in the game, and the title theme for Big Brain Academy.
Some parts of the stage are very out of proportion compared to their appearance in the Pikmin series. For example, The Bulborb is way more massive than it is the games. The Onions are also really small and their legs are at a steeper angle than they are in the games.
The Subspace Emissary
This article or section features non-canonical information.
In the Subspace Emissary, Olimar is first found fighting a giant R.O.B. without success, from which he is saved by Captain Falcon (who massacres more Pikmin than the R.O.B. on his landing). The game pairs him with Olimar in his following playable sections. Upon reaching the edge of the Island of the Ancients, they witness Diddy Kong attacking Primids and rescuing Donkey Kong; Falcon and Olimar then join forces with the Kongs.
Following, Olimar and his crew are taken inside the Subspace Bomb Factory. They eventually find the Ancient Minister, along with Pikachu and Samus Aran. Ganondorf suddenly appears and commands the R.O.B.s in the room to detonate the Subspace Bombs nearby, so he can create a large enough hole in space to fit a Subspace Gunship through. The Ancient Minister reveals himself to be the leader of the R.O.B.s and, along with Olimar and the rest, escapes from the island before it is sucked into Subspace. All characters then enter the Subspace, with Olimar flying the Ship alongside other characters' aircraft.
List of Pikmin elements
A number of music tracks from Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are included and are played in various levels, stages and cutscenes.
- Main Theme – title screen from Pikmin
- World Map (Pikmin 2) – remix between the area selection screen theme of Pikmin and Pikmin 2
- Stage Clear (Pikmin) – remix between the sunset cutscene theme and the title screen from Pikmin
- Forest of Hope
- Ai no Uta
- Ai no Uta (French)
- Tane no Uta
- Environmental Noises
Brawl features a number of trophies to collect, some of which are Pikmin-related, the majority being various beasts; each has a description or information about the Pikmin series in general.
|How to obtain: Found in a cube in the level "Outside the Ancient Ruins".||Type: Fighter Related|
|How to obtain: Random appearance.||Type: Fighter Related|
Stickers are further collectible items in Brawl; the following are the Pikmin-themed ones:
|Name and Game||Picture||Effect||Characters|
Blue Pellet (Pikmin 2)
|Pikmin Attack +6||Olimar|
|Blue Pikmin (Pikmin)||Pikmin Attack +16||Olimar|
|Bulborb (Pikmin 2)||Pikmin Attack +34||Olimar|
|Crimson Candypop Bud
|Pikmin Attack +12||Olimar|
|Louie (Pikmin 2)||Explosive Attack +10||All|
|Olimar and Louie's Ship
|Pikmin Attack +40||Olimar|
|Pikmin Attack +7||Olimar|
|Onion (Pikmin 2)||Launch Resistance +15||All|
|Flinch Resistance +35||All|
|Reclining Red Pikmin
|Fire Attack +6||All|
|Red Pellet Flower
|Pikmin Attack +5||Olimar|
|Red Pikmin (Pikmin)||Pikmin Attack +11||Olimar|
|Trophy Stand Drops +7||All|
|White Pikmin (Pikmin 2)||Pikmin Attack +10||Olimar|
|Yellow Pellet (Pikmin 2)||Pikmin Attack +22||Olimar|
|Yellow Pikmin (Pikmin)||Slash Resistance +10||All|
There is a glitch that can be done with Pikmin & Olimar. The more Olimars there are on the battlefield, the bigger the glitch will be. The "Green Greens" stage is necessary, and each of the Olimars may only have Red, White, or Blue Pikmin. These need to be thrown against the yellow blocks on either side. The Pikmin will continue to circle in mid-air, and large amounts of damage can be dealt by moving an opponent into it. This glitch could result in a crash if too many Pikmin are thrown.
- One of Olimar's color schemes resembles Louie's spacesuit. Another color scheme represents a real-world astronaut's suit.
- Pikmin stickers are the only stickers (aside from the Mach Rider sticker) to use a colored background instead of a white, gray, or black background.
- Wikipedia's article on Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- NintendoWiki's article on Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Bulbapedia's article on Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Mario Wiki's article on Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Zelda Wiki's article on Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- The Smash Bros. DOJO!!
This article was a featured article from May 13th to June 10th, 2008.
|Pikmin (NPC!) • Pikmin 2 (NPC!) • Pikmin 3|
|Pikmin Adventure (Nintendo Land) • Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U|
|Adam and Eve • Stage Debut|