Like Captain Olimar, Louie takes notes too, but his notes are about how to cook enemies. To read them, the player must enter the Piklopedia and press / while on the desired entry. While Captain Olimar's notes would be useful to a scientist or biologist, Louie's would be useful to a chef. Interestingly, Louie references ingredients found on Earth (cultivated in oxygen). These ingredients could not possibly be known by Louie, as Hocotate has a severely different climate. This is most likely because Hocotatian plants often have a similar appearance to those found on Earth so Louie uses the names he is familiar with for a completely different plant. Some of his notes say that the creature is inedible, like the clover. In these cases, he states a humorous side effect of eating one.
Louie's notes are not available if there is no saved game data for Pikmin 2. When the player defeats the Titan Dweevil and brings the King of Bugs back to the Hocotate ship in any saved game slot, a global flag is set on Pikmin 2's save data that enables Louie's notes. This means that from that point on, on any saved game slot, Louie's notes will be available to the player, even if the slot used to unlock this feature is deleted. It can also be noted that when an enemy is added to the Piklopedia, it comes with Louie's notes (although they can still be temporarily inaccessible as per the rule written previously), regardless of whether Louie is with the player's crew or not, in that saved game slot.
The following notes conflict with the way enemies die in-game in some way, most often because the beast in question leaves no corpse.
- The Fiery Bulblax extinguishes itself upon defeat, but Louie's notes use the beast's flames as a cooking aid.
- Puffy Blowhog
- Withering Blowhog
- The Careening Dirigibug's air sacs pop upon defeat, but Louie suggests them as a garnish to the dish.
- Lesser Spotted Jellyfloat
- Greater Spotted Jellyfloat
- Beady Long Legs
- Raging Long Legs
- The Waterwraith is notable for not only not leaving any corpse, but its physical form being anchored to another dimension.
- Titan Dweevil
The following creatures are said to be inedible in any capacity by Louie.
- The Doodlebug has no cooking tips and is suggested to be inedible, but is not outright stated as such.
- Caustic Dweevil
- Munge Dweevil
- Volatile Dweevil
- Crimson Candypop Bud
- Golden Candypop Bud
- The Ivory Candypop Bud is not suggested to be inedible, but spoils upon seconds of picking.
- Queen Candypop Bud
- Beady Long Legs
- The Raging Long Legs, like the Doodlebug, is not outright claimed as inedible, but Louie's suggestions imply that it probably shouldn't be eaten anyway.
Musings of a Sidekick
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by.
On June 18th, 2009, Nintendo of Europe released an article titled "Louie's Notes: Musings of a Sidekick" at its website. It is essentially a humorous commentary written from the point of view of Louie, comparing himself and Olimar to other famous Nintendo duos (Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, Link and Navi, Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer), as an attempt to promote the New Play Control! edition of Pikmin 2. The website can be found here.
Names in other languages
|French||Notes de Louie||Louie's Notes|
|Pikmin||Olimar's monologs • Olimar's voyage log|
|Pikmin 2||Ship's dialogs • Mail • Olimar's notes • Louie's notes • Olimar's journal • Sales pitch • Series announcements|
|Pikmin 3||Brittany's notes • Check in • Voyage log|