The Pikmin games consist of areas, which are locations in which the ship is able to land. In Pikmin 2, each area contains three or four entrances to caves. In each game, there is initially a single area available, and others are unlocked throughout the progression of the game by completing certain objectives. For instance, to access to the Perplexing Pool in Pikmin 2, a specific treasure, Geographic Projection, must be collected. The following is a list of areas in the Pikmin series:
Though not thoroughly confirmed, it's been heavily implied that some areas in Pikmin 2 are in fact from Pikmin, albeit changed. The Awakening Wood has the same layout as the Forest of Hope. It has been implied by Olimar that these are the same location, as read on his journal about the Geographic Projection: "I explored this forest the last time I was here, but it's clear that it has undergone some dramatic changes. The plants and animals have also evolved significantly. I've given this forest a new name... The Awakening Wood. I must begin to form a hypothesis to explain why the forest changed so rapidly."
Likewise, the Perplexing Pool shares the same layout as the Distant Spring.
The Wistful Wild is a bit different. It consists of both the Impact Site and the Final Trial. However, the 'Impact Site' part could just be a coincidence, and more of a reference on part of the level designers; the Wistful Wild seems to be the Final Trial, with an area similar to the Impact Site attached to it. This, however, is still just conjecture.
Above ground, terrain varies in both Pikmin games. It has no real impact on the gameplay, but it does change the atmosphere and the different types of enemies that may be encountered.
Most areas in Pikmin have natural surfaces such as sand, soil and wood.
- Found in most areas, except for the Forest Navel (because it is underground).
- This is what the captain and his Pikmin will be walking on for a majority of the time. Soil is found in every area in the game.
- Usually, when there is water, there is sand, especially in The Distant Spring. In it, about half the amount of land is submerged in water, and that amount of land is sand. It can also be found in the small pond area in the Impact Site and the large lake in the Forest Navel.
- Various tree stumps can be found in the game. They can be found in the Impact Site, Forest of Hope and the Distant Spring.
- The Cardboard boxes in the Impact Site and the Final Trial can be walked upon by using a nearby rock as a platform.
- Rusted metal
- In The Final Trial, large slabs of rusted metal are used to cross the body of water separating the landing site, from the area where the player battles against the Emperor Bulblax, which actually takes place in a large metal 'bowl' like arena.
In Pikmin 2, the player will find a vast array of different terrain.
- In some caverns, one may find the area to be covered in a blanket of snow. This terrain can be found in the Valley of Repose and its respective caverns.
- A common terrain, mostly found in above ground areas, with the Awakening Wood being a common example. Grass-like terrain can be found in the Perplexing Pool; however, considering the area's aquatic nature, it's possible that it's actually moss.
- As in the first game, tree stumps can be found, most notably in the Perplexing Pool.
- The Perplexing Pool has sand surrounding its lakes.
- Can be found in a few areas, most of the Valley of Repose is formed from concrete. This is due to it being believed to be a crosswalk of sorts.
- This style consists of simple turquoise-colored tile filled floors and walls, which have sand filled in between each tile. Areas with this style usually have water, which is typically found in in small descents of ground. The tiles may be interrupted by sand or a metallic floor.
- Stone formations
- Inside the Perplexing Pool, there are odd stones formations that are mysteriously shaped, some of which are walk-able. These odd formations do not appear to be natural, ranging from simple pathways to maze-like structures.
- In several areas, there are sets of scales. They can be used to lift Pikmin and the Captains to higher areas, and several sets of these scales must be navigated to obtain treasure.
- Rusted metal
- The landing area of the Wistful Wild is actually an old road sign.
- When the final area is unlocked in Pikmin and Pikmin 2, some shooting stars appear in the area selection screen, for a few seconds.
Click on an area
Click on an area
|route | animtest / codetest | E3play_3/play_3 | map_06 | newtest | play_4 | shapetst | testmap | tuto1 | tuto2|