|Olimar, as he appears on the Pikmin Short Movies.|
|Known related characters||Wife, son, daughter, Bulbie (pet)|
|Height||1.9 cm (0.75 inches)|
|Latest game||Pikmin 3|
Captain Olimar (キャプテン・オリマー?), also referred to as just Olimar,, is the main protagonist of the Pikmin series, although only the main character in the first two games. He discovered PNF-404 and all types of Pikmin so far. He works at Hocotate Freight and, in the first Pikmin game, owns and captains his ship, the S.S. Dolphin.
Olimar has a family on Hocotate, his home planet, and the currently known main members include his wife, son and daughter. In-game, Olimar monologues some notes in Pikmin; in the second game, they are replaced by the Ship's notes.
- 1 Personality and appearance
- 2 Traits and abilities
- 3 Biography
- 4 In the Super Smash Bros. series
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Names in other languages
- 8 See also
- 9 References
Personality and appearance
Physically, Olimar has three short brown tufts of hair and wears a beige spacesuit, decorated with red lines and red gloves. He measures 1.9cm tall, and 3.9cm tall with his space suit on, from the feet to the top of the antenna.
He is quite intellectual, judging from his writings, and has an interest in science and presumably biology, taking notes and commenting on every treasure and enemy he discovers. In addition, he might also have a nack for engineering, as he was once a mechanic and the one who designed the Bowsprit.
He loves his family, but they often ask a lot of him when it comes to financial matters. This is one of the reasons he enjoys time to himself. Normally, Olimar is a calm and caring individual, and was not portrayed as overly greedy in Pikmin 2, but his journal entries in US version of Pikmin 3 reveal that he has developed a fixating interest in treasure.
According to his journal entry on the Impenetrable Cookie, he has a short temper towards incidents of little importance. He also mentions that he has always "had a way with animals", which can be seen with his fairly extensive Piklopedia journal entries on the various creatures on the planet.
Traits and abilities
- Olimar is able to control Pikmin, using his whistle as a means of command. The Pikmin quite possibly see him as a leader and a hero.
- He can pluck or pull out Pikmin sprouts.
- Olimar can launch a punch attack to weaken enemies (or a three punch combo after obtaining the Rocket Fist).
Plot of Pikmin
The Dolphin lost 30 pieces, and the accident rendered Olimar unconscious. When he regained consciousness, he found the planet's atmosphere contained high amounts of oxygen, which is extremely poisonous to his species. Fortunately, Olimar landed next to the still barely functioning skeletal hull of the Dolphin. While wandering around an area he called The Impact Site, Olimar met odd creatures that he called Pikmin at what could be considered their nest, an Onion. Both Pikmin and the Onions are named after famous foods Olimar often ate on Hocotate.
These Red Pikmin that he discovered were able to reproduce more Pikmin with Olimar's help. Olimar directed them to carry his ship's Main Engine back to The Dolphin's remains, which auto-repaired itself with the parts that Olimar and the Pikmin brought. This allowed the S.S. Dolphin at least lift off for the night and avoid the hostile nocturnal creatures that reside on PNF-404.
As he was looking for more parts, he discovered additional Pikmin types, including Yellow Pikmin and Blue Pikmin in two different areas. Luckily for Olimar, he was able to find and recover all of the ship parts on the planet and restore his ship's damage. Before he left, he took a bottle cap from the planet as a souvenir and took notes on the wildlife.
Although that is the canonical ending, it is possible for players to reach alternate endings.
Return to Hocotate
After Olimar's success on PNF-404, he was able to blast off the planet to return to Hocotate, see his family and return to his normal life. After arriving at Hocotate Freight, he met up with the President and a new employee named Louie. After landing his ship, he learned that the company was in debt, having to pay at least × 10,100 for the loss of a golden Pikpik carrot shipment. Learning that the Dolphin was sold to help pay the debt, Olimar was so shocked he dropped the souvenir for his son. As the bottle cap rolled past Louie, an old ship was able to suck up the rusty bottle cap. Its pod analyzed the piece of salvage to be worth × 100, which lowered the debt to × 10,000. The President commanded Olimar and Louie to return to the Pikmin Planet and collect more treasure as a result.
Paying off Hocotate Freight's debt
As Olimar and Louie were heading to the Valley of Repose, the ship collided with a tree branch, and the resulting impact jolted Louie out of the cockpit, leaving Olimar to search for him. Luckily for Olimar, he found a group of Red Pikmin fighting a lone Dwarf Red Bulborb. He was able to unite with Louie by using the Pikmin to squash the barriers. Before, Louie had discovered a treasure, and with the help of Olimar, they were able to forage it. They then discovered a series of caves, areas and new Pikmin types.
In the end, Olimar and Louie were able to pay the debt. Olimar blasted off the planet, but noticed that he somehow left Louie behind, but at too late a time to go back and rescue Louie immediately.
The search for Louie
After repaying the debt, Captain Olimar blasted off the planet, but noticed that he somehow left Louie behind. Alas, it was too late, as he was going too fast to turn around and get him. After meeting the President once again to present him with all the treasures he and Louie found, the debt was fully paid.
Olimar then told the President that there was more treasure on the planet. The President, looking to increase Hocotate Freight's fortune, then decided to send Olimar and Louie back to the planet. Only then did he realize that Louie was missing. The President decided that he would join Olimar to search for Louie and to make their company even wealthier. The two went to the Wistful Wild to start their search and eventually found Louie in the Dream Den.
Due to to the President's excessive spending and failure of a new business venture, Olimar is sent back to PNF-404 with Louie in search of even more treasure to buy back the S.S. Dolphin and repay Hocotate Freight's newly acquired second debt. However, the Ship lands near a massive creature known as a Quaggled Mireclops, which destroys it, leaving Olimar and Louie stranded. As they explore the planet, they inadvertently pick up the Koppaites' Cosmic Drive Key.
After a while, Olimar starts to enjoy the search for treasure, and even becomes tempted by it. He at one point writes in his diary that he is sick of the President getting everything, and how easy it would be to take just one piece of gold. Olimar eventually discovers the Formidable Oak, seeing something glittering at the top of it. Thinking it must be valuable gold, he climbs to the top, only to find it is actually a living creature, the Plasm Wraith. The creature eventually obsesses over Olimar, preventing him from leaving, yet doesn't harm him. Because of the wraith, each time Olimar attempts to escape, his suit's auto-sleep feature prevents him from going through with it.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Olimar as a fighter.
Olimar is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. He commands his Pikmin in battle, and is almost entirely dependent on them. Olimar is able to pluck new Pikmin from the ground at any time, and he can have up to six or three with him at once (depending on the game).
The Pikmin, as in the original series, are fragile and can be defeated easily, but each of the five types have special unique properties (for example, the Red Pikmin are stronger than average and have fire-based attacks, as well as resistance to flame). The Pikmin Olimar plucks are chosen at random in Brawl and appear in a set order in Smash 4.
Olimar's Final Smash is called End of Day, during which he leaves the arena via his spaceship as night falls. The players left behind are attacked by feeding Bulborbs, and can be further damaged when Olimar's ship returns and explodes on impact. Although Olimar's Pikmin are left behind too, they go unharmed.
Captain Olimar also appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee, but only as a trophy.
|How to obtain: Have a Pikmin save file on your memory card.||Type: Other|
Smash 4 trophy
Normal, Wii U
Alt, Wii U
On the April 1st, 2015 Nintendo Direct, Olimar was confirmed to be a part of wave 6 (7 in Europe) of Super Smash Bros. amiibo, launching alongside Zero Suit Samus, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario in September of 2015 in America, and launching with Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario in July for Europe. Like other fighters, his amiibo consists of his artwork from the game, minus the Yellow Pikmin behind him due to limited space. The Red and Blue Pikmin are also closer, again, due to space limitations. As of yet, the only game (aside from Smash 4) to have the Olimar amiibo compatible with it is Mario Kart 8. By tapping the amiibo on the main menu screen of the game, the player will get access to the Olimar racing suit for their Mii. The body of the costume resembles Olimar's spacesuit, and the helmet is designed to look like a space helmet. On the back of the helmet is a Red Pikmin hanging on.
Olimar pulling out a Blue Pikmin sprout.
Olimar throwing a Blue Pikmin.
Official artwork of Olimar from Pikmin.
Captain Olimar, as seen in the ending of Pikmin 3, including the new whistle which is built into the helmet.
Olimar's color schemes in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Captain Olimar in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.
- Olimar's name is derived from Mario, as "Louie" is from Luigi. In Japanese, Olimar (オリマー Orima) is an anagram of Mario (マリオ Mario). Olimar also shares Mario's red color scheme and nose size.
- It is referred to that Olimar used to be a repairman before his current job, and has had conflicts with space pirates.
- Olimar was supposed to make a cameo appearance in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. The captain was to come in and taste the player's coffee. However, this never occurred, as the scene was canceled. He was also planned to call Mario "Marlio" (an anagram of "Olimar") and somehow mistake Luigi for a beast.
- In Yoshi's Island DS, a baby similar in appearance to Olimar is present in a few scenes.
- One of the key items in Super Paper Mario, the Helmet has a large resemblance to Olimar's helmet. It even includes an antenna with a red light beacon.
- Although not seen, the player can get a message from Olimar in the Wii game Animal Crossing: City Folk, which reads: "I found this odd little hat on my travels. It looks just like one of those cute little creatures I've met in outer space! Have fun wearing it! – From Captain Olimar.". When the player finishes reading the letter, they get an item called the "Red Pikmin Hat", which looks like a Red Pikmin's stem with a leaf. A "life size" model of his ship has also been released.
- Olimar's carrying weight seems to vary in each game. He weighs 4 units in Pikmin, 1 unit in Pikmin 2, and 5 units in Pikmin 3.
- The bad ending in Pikmin is possibly referenced in Pikmin 3, as one of Olimar's ship logs in a Data File states that he had a nightmare that the Pikmin dragged him into their Onion after being injured by a creature.
- In Pikmin 2, Olimar is voiced by Kazumi Totaka – the music composer that added his song as a secret in the game.
- Although Olimar is just 2cm tall in the Pikmin games, he is much bigger in the Super Smash Bros. games, for the sake of balance.
- The trophy for Olimar in Super Smash Bros. Brawl serves as a trophy for the Pikmin and Olimar, as they fight together as a single fighter. The trophy mistakenly calls them "veteran spacefarers", even though that does not apply to the Pikmin, only to Olimar.
Names in other languages
|An anagram of "Mario".|
- "Gradually, my repairs to the Dolphin continue. This ship is like a part of me. One could even say that it is tied to my very essence. Yes, it was a long – one might say epic – journey, going from mere repairman to captain of my own ship... but now I'm rambling." – Olimar on his voyage log
- "The Guard Satellite!
Deep space is filled with dangers. This automated satellite does its part to help guard both me and my spaceship. I'll sleep better at night once this little satellite is back on duty.
This has protected me from space pirates many, many times." – Olimar on the Guard Satellite.
|Main||Captain Olimar • Louie • The President • Hocotate ship • Alph • Brittany • Charlie • S.S. Drake|
|Minor||Olimar's wife • Olimar's son • Olimar's daughter • Bulbie • Louie's grandmother • Louie's father • Louie's aunt • The President's wife • Spammers • Drake • Alph's siblings • Auntie Bea • Charlie's pet|
|Other||Olimar as Pikmin • Character D|