To do: Add some more sources.
Hocotate Freight (ホコタテ運送?) is a "long-haul, deep-space shipping company" that Captain Olimar works for, based on the planet Hocotate. It's located in a remote countryside somewhere in the southern hemisphere of Hocotate. The President and his wife lead the company, and its only known employees are Olimar and Louie. The company also owns two ships, the S.S. Dolphin and the Hocotate ship.
Hocotate Freight had no known financial difficulties until Louie lost his cargo of golden Pikpik carrots, reportedly to a space bunny, while Olimar was on vacation, forcing Hocotate Freight to sell most of its possessions and take out a huge loan. Hocotate Freight sells Olimar's S.S. Dolphin to pay for the debt while he is away, but this still leaves them with a debt of 10,100 Pokos to repay.
As soon as Olimar returns from the planet of the Pikmin, he is informed of the situation by the President of Hocotate Freight, and of his ship, the S.S. Dolphin, being sold; it is confiscated as he arrives. In shock, Olimar drops the bottle cap he has been holding, which was meant as a souvenir for his son. It rolls to the ground, causing the sensors of an old ship behind the President to go wild. The Hocotate ship proceeds to announce that the bottle cap is worth 100 Pokos, after which the President orders Olimar to go back to the Pikmin planet with Louie to find enough treasure to cover the now 10,000-Poko debt.
With the debt repaid, the Hocotate ship is painted in a gold-colored material, and the President replaces Louie on the adventure to find the remaining treasures. Over time, the company starts turning around thanks to the President's wife, until it eventually opens for business once more when all treasures are collected.
After Pikmin 2, Hocotate Freight goes into debt once more following a failed business venture by the President, forcing Olimar and Louie to return to PNF-404 and gather even more treasure during Pikmin 3. The duo goes missing, and Alph, Britanny and Captain Charlie on an unrelated mission later find the Hocotate ship wrecked and lacking its gold paint near the Quaggled Mireclops' arena.
The Koppaite trio succeeds in rescuing Olimar and Louie, but upon their return to Hocotate, the President chastises his employees for leaving the company's ship behind. This leads to Olimar's Comeback, in which the duo goes on a fourth trip to the planet to repair the Hocotate ship.
A closer look at the company's building (and the President).
Texture used on Captain Olimar's shoulder in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Names in other languages
|Hocotate, S. L.
|Hocotate, Limited Society (Sociedad Limitada)
- “Your notification report was wrong again. How many times do I have to correct you? It's because of behavior like this that I, the REAL boss, have to work so hard.” – The President's wife in a letter
- “Hey, you think you can loaf because I can't see you? The ship has been reporting everything to me! Are you surprised? That machine knows who the real boss is.” – The President's wife in a letter
- “It may interest you to know I've somehow been able to begin turning the company around in your absence. So, you just go on doing what you like for a bit longer, OK?” – The President's wife in a letter
- “All of the treasures on the list have been found! I see you in a new light, honey. Hocotate Freight is open for business once again! Get right back to work tomorrow!” – The President's wife in a letter
- “Hocotate Freight is drowning in debt again. I'm not saying it's our company president's fault...because this is an official log.” – Captain Olimar in a video log in Flower Garden
- “The company's new venture went down in flames, and it's dragged our yearly earnings down with it.” – Captain Olimar in a video log in Tundra