|Age||Adulthood (age unknown)|
|Known related characters||Elizabeth (pet), Don Bergman (former treasure hunting partner)|
|Height||~1.9 cm (0.77 inches)|
|First game||Pikmin 3|
|Latest game||Pikmin 3 Deluxe|
Captain Charlie (キャプテン・チャーリー?), also commonly referred to as Charlie (チャーリー?), is one of the three playable leaders in Pikmin 3. He wears a spacesuit with a green lapel and a star-shaped badge on its left side. He has an average-sized nose, a dark brown mohawk and a tiny mustache, and like Alph, has eyes that are wide open at all times. His skin is also the most tan out of the three explorers. He, along with Brittany and Alph, come from the planet Koppai in search of a new food source for their planet, and serves as the captain of their space-faring vessel, the S.S. Drake. He also takes a rubber ducky with him on every mission for good luck. Charlie is revered as a hero on Koppai, being described by Alph as "one of Koppai's greatest legends".
Charlie is the first character to be played as, and starts the farthest away from the ship. After encountering Yellow Pikmin and introducing all the controls, he goes into a cave where he encounters the offspring of the Vehemoth Phosbat and defeats them, thereby angering the mother. Shortly after this encounter, he is attacked after a strange shadow is seen flying around him. Later, when Alph and Brittany defeat the Phosbat in the Distant Tundra, he comes out of the Phosbat's mouth and becomes playable again. His crash site is found later in the game by Olimar, as suggested by a data file found in the area.
In game, Charlie plays the same as Alph and Brittany.
Charlie is shown as a very capable, level-headed leader and shows a lot of care and a sense of protection towards the people he loves and respects. In some reports it's revealed that he prefers to stay vigilant near the S.S. Drakes door to protect his crewmates and greatly appreciates their presence, since he was often alone in space during his youth as a ranger. Charlie also shows great interest in the natural landscapes of PNF-404, as he considers the beauty of the plants and flowers to have moved him in a way that's difficult to describe. Charlie also seems to have a really keen interest towards ducks, demonstrating a lot of knowledge about them, owning a rubber ducky as a lucky charm and having a pet duck named Elizabeth whom he describes as his soulmate. His Piklopedia notes suggest he is a tenacious fighter and proud of his "steely fists".
There are many parts in the game's story where Charlie tries to show his deep affection towards Brittany, only to be interrupted by some other, pressing matter. His crush on Brittany is further accentuated in several reports where he plans to collect a few flowers as a present for Brittany and where he describes that, if he has to throw a crew member, he would always choose Alph first.
This article or section needs to be updated.
Captain Charlie, Brittany and Alph, three astronauts from the planet Koppai, are tasked with saving their home planet after their planet's food supplies become nearly depleted. When data collected reveals that a distant planet is rich with a variety of fruits whose seeds can be cultivated on Koppai to end the food shortage, the crew of three travel to the planet in the S.S. Drake.
However, their ship malfunctions and they become separated just before landing, with the cosmic-drive key also being lost, which is mandatory for leaving the planet. The three eventually reunite and begin collecting fruit, harvesting their seeds and using their juice for sustenance while on the planet, and eventually meets up with Louie and later on Olimar, who they rescue from the Plasm Wraith. He then gives them their lost cosmic-drive key, allowing them to return to Koppai safely with their findings.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Charlie appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. One of Alph's alternate customs also sports a green color scheme, reminiscent of Charlie. This alternate custom is present in the 3DS version too.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Spirit info||Augmented Fighter info|
|Charlie||Neutral||Alph (×3)||1,200||Garden of Hope (Battlefield Form)||Stage Select - Pikmin 2||
Pikmin 3 Deluxe official website bio
“The seasoned captain of the crew, Charlie carries a rubber ducky for good luck.”
“Charlie serves as the captain of the S.S. Drake. He is considered a hero on Koppai and is greatly respected by Alph. However, it seems the praise he's received may have inflated his ego. While exploring the planet on his own after the crash, he is attacked by a mysterious creature and loses contact with the team.”
Pikmin 3 official Japanese website bio
- Text: “「ドレイク号」のキャプテンとして隊員たちをまとめている。ブリトニーに好意を寄せているようだが……。”
- Translation: “As captain of the S.S. Drake, he keeps the crew together. He seems to have a liking for Brittany, but…”
Pikmin 3 Deluxe official Japanese website bio
- Text: “ブリトニーに好意を寄せているようだが……。”
- Translation: “He seems to have a liking for Brittany, but…”
Pikmin Garden bio
趣味 アヒルちゃん夢 コッパイ星の人々を救うこと”
“Captain of the S.S. Drake
Home planet: Koppai
The captain of the S.S. Drake, sent to save the planet Koppai from a food crisis. He is a legendary ranger who has saved many ducks in the past.
Related persons: Elizabeth (pet duck)
Hobbies: ducksDreams: saving the people of Koppai”
Charlie's name is derived from the term used for the letter C in the phonetic alphabet. This makes sense as Alph (Alpha) is also used for A in the phonetic alphabet; the initial of his name is also the same letter of his prototype name (Character C), just like Alph and Brittany.
Names in other languages
|French||Capitaine Charlie||Captain Charlie|
|German||Captain Charlie||Captain Charlie|
|Italian||Capitano Charlie||Captain Charlie|
|Spanish||Capitán Charlie||Captain Charlie|
|Charlie||Used in official media|
|Charlie||Used in official media|
Charlie waking up in the Distant Tundra, post-crash.
- Due to the fact that Charlie and Alph land in separate areas, Charlie meets Yellow Pikmin rather than red ones like Alph. However, he does not discover their Onion, so they are not formally introduced until later on.
- Captain Charlie has longer arms than the other leaders in Pikmin 3, making various out of bounds tricks easier to perform with Charlie.
- Captain Charlie led three missions prior to Pikmin 3, named Operation: Rubber Ducky Up A Tree, Operation: Beached Rubber Ducky, and Operation: Rubber Ducky Stucky.
- There is a voyage log entry where Charlie breaks the fourth wall.
- Captain Charlie is one of two leaders with facial hair, the other one being the President.
- “Ah...missions like this remind me of my old days as a ranger. I was brash, young, and bedecked in medals! I learned how to be a real ranger in those days...in outer space... all alone. Still, it's nice to have comrades—our engineer, Alph, and our botanist, Brittany. Especially Brittany...” – Captain Charlie in a Pikmin 3 Voyage Log
- “Well, we could all learn a lot from you, Captain! Your understanding of ducks is clearly second-to-none!” – Alph in a check in conversation
- “The seasoned captain of the crew, Charlie carries a rubber ducky for good luck.” – Official Pikmin 3 Deluxe Site in https://pikmin3.nintendo.com/story/
- “GEESE ARE FILTHY CREATURES! ...Elizabeth is a duck.” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “THAT'S MY BUSINESS! I'm sorry, Alph, I didn't mean to yell. Elizabeth is my soul mate. Leave it at that.” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “(But this is also an opportunity to gain Brittany's respect.)” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “Worry not, Brittany! I would never let that—” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “What a coincidence, Brittany! Have I ever told you what a big impression you've made on m—” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “I've been thinking of plucking one to give to a certain someone.” – Captain Charlie in a check in conversation
- “The terrain of this planet is wonderfully varied. A couple of times already, I thought we were at a dead end, only to find a way forward by throwing a crew member! It's almost like the planet is testing my ability to solve problems creatively! I know it doesn't really matter who I throw, but I always choose Alph. You should never throw away the things that you love...” – Captain Charlie in a voyage log in the European version
- Twitter post on Twitter
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe on nintendo.il
- “When sunset approaches, time gets short! When you feel the crunch, you can pile on layers of Pikmin into ongoing tasks to speed them up. Or you can spread 'em out and try to broaden your operations. You have options, and by "you," I guess I mean "me." Not sure why I'm referring to myself in the second person. Space is a funny place...” – Captain Charlie in a voyage log entry
|Leaders||Captain Olimar • Louie • The President • Alph • Brittany • Charlie • Pikmin 4 player character|
|Rescue Corps||Oatchi • Collin • Shepherd • Russ • Dingo • Yonny • Bernard|
|Ships||S.S. Dolphin • Hocotate ship • S.S. Drake • S.S. Dolphin II • SPERO • S.S. Beagle • S.S. Shepherd|
|Other||Castaway • Leafling • Minor characters • Moss • Pikmin|