42 Pikmin challenge
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by
A 42 Pikmin challenge is a full playthrough challenge run of Pikmin 3 with only 42 Pikmin, the minimum possible number. The game can either be minimally finished or completed to 100% with this amount. Although the heaviest object, the Wayward Moon, requires 20 Pikmin to carry and no obstacle requires more than 20 Pikmin to pass, more than 20 are necessary to finish the game. This is because the player is limited to how many of a type are initially obtained or are needed to get out of a situation in which no other types can be reached (usually in places where that type is first found). Use of Candypop Buds makes growing more Pikmin unnecessary in many cases though they are not readily available in others. A 7 day run of this challenge can be done, but collecting all the fruit requires 11 days. A 10 day run is possible with 46 Pikmin, as extra Blue Pikmin must be grown to obtain all submerged fruit in Garden of Hope. Otherwise, the player will need an extra day in Garden of Hope after using a Lapis Lazuli Candypop Bud in Tropical Wilds.
- 20 Red Pikmin to move the cardboard box in Tropical Wilds at the beginning.
- 6 Rock Pikmin obtained from a Medusal Slurker in Garden of Hope. Any number of Rock Pikmin can be used to break crystals and crystal walls.
- 5 Yellow Pikmin. The iron ball in the Distant Tundra cave does not need to be pushed, as it is possible to go out of bounds and escape the cave. Golden Candypop Buds can be found in the level to gain more Pikmin to complete electrodes with. Yellow Pikmin (up to 30) obtained with Charlie at the beginning do not count and are never seen again after he is captured.
- 10 Winged Pikmin to lift the flukeweeds on the stick blocking the lilypads in Twilight River. No Pink Candypop Bud is found until Formidable Oak, so 10 must be grown. This amount is sufficient for lifting any bamboo gates and clipboards also.
- 1 Blue Pikmin found at its Onion. The heaviest fruit that requires Blue Pikmin is the Crunchy Deluge in Twilight River which is submerged, and needs 10 to carry. However, other Pikmin can be thrown into Lapis Lazuli Candypop Buds in Tropical Wilds to obtain this amount.
- Playthrough of the challenge, on YouTube
- A 42 Pikmin 100% completion speedrun in 11 days, on YouTube