|Attack||: Above average (15) |
: Above average (15)
|Digging speed||: Above average (≈1.5× the norm) |
: Above average (≈1.5× the norm)
|Size||Body length: 33mm|
Red Pikmin (赤ピクミン?) are the first variety of Pikmin discovered by the leaders in all games. They are usually considered the "main" type of Pikmin due to their relatively simple traits and early discovery. Aside from their color, the distinguishing features of Red Pikmin are their pointed noses, resistance to fire, and high attack power. Same as most other types of Pikmin, their buds and flowers are white, and they are cultivated via the Red Onion (or the Master Onion). These Pikmin are present in all games of the series, and make an appearance in all game modes. In 2-Player Battle, they belong to player 1's army, although their strength is reduced for the sake of fairness.
- 1 Traits and abilities
- 2 Discovery
- 3 Uses
- 4 Notes
- 5 In the Super Smash Bros. series
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Names in other languages
- 9 See also
Traits and abilities
Red Pikmin have spiked noses, and above average attack power, at 1.5× that of normal Pikmin. This gives them the highest attack stat of any "normal" Pikmin type, when latched onto an enemy, making them especially useful in battle.
Red Pikmin also exhibit an immunity to fire, in that they ignore the heat whereas other Pikmin (besides Bulbmin) would have their leaf, bud, or flower catch on fire and run off in a panic. No explanation to their immunity is ever revealed. This invulnerability is most useful in Pikmin and Pikmin 3, mostly because of the Fiery Blowhogs and the fact that fire geysers are indestructible. Their ability is less useful in Pikmin 2, where the geysers can be destroyed by any Pikmin, and Fiery Blowhogs can easily be defeated with Purple Pikmin. Their main use in the second game is for taking care of Fiery Bulblaxes, though this task doesn't always require them. In Hey! Pikmin, they act just like in all other games, except they also have the ability to stomp out small fires, allowing Olimar or other Pikmin safe passage.
In Pikmin, Red Pikmin are the first type of Pikmin ever discovered, and they keep this trait in the sequel. They are discovered in The Impact Site, along with their Onion, just a small walk away from the landing zone. When the dormant Onion wakes up and ejects a seed, and Olimar plucks said seed, it marks the first time Olimar ever sees a Pikmin. Here, at least 20 Red Pikmin must be grown in order to carry back the Main Engine, so that Olimar can exit the planet's surface during the night. However, it's possible to grow up to 25 Red Pikmin on the first day.
In Pikmin 2, the first Red Pikmin, and indeed, the first Pikmin in this trip, are found by Captain Olimar. There are 5 Pikmin fighting a Dwarf Red Bulborb in the Valley of Repose right next to where Olimar lands. Whistling them gives Olimar control over them, which he uses to defeat the beast. After the battle, once Louie has regained consciousness, he walks a short distance and finds the Red Onion. From there, Louie builds up the population in order to crush a paper bag separating him from Olimar, reunite with him, and collect the Courage Reactor.
In Pikmin 3, the story begins with Charlie discovering Yellow Pikmin and ending up captured by the Vehemoth Phosbat. After this prologue, Alph wakes up in a small puddle at the Tropical Wilds. He walks a short distance before seeing a Red Pikmin, which surprises both of them. After walking a bit more, he finds three wild Red Pikmin trying to free their Onion from a branch. Alph throws the Pikmin at it and succeeds in freeing it. He then proceeds to grow his army up to 20 (21 if the one sitting on the pot is obtained), so that he can push the cardboard box and get back to the S.S. Drake, as well as try to rescue Brittany. Although Yellow Pikmin are seen first, Red Pikmin are the first type to have their Onion discovered, and thus, formally introduced.
In Hey! Pikmin, after Captain Olimar crash-lands on the planet and comes to, he explores the area he's in for a bit until he stumbles upon a lone Red Pikmin. After he and the S.S. Dolphin II's pod stare at it for a bit, it runs away. After moving forward some more, Olimar and his ship find the Pikmin's hiding spot, a bush. After using the whistle here, the Pikmin that was hiding behind, along with three of his friends, pop out of the bush and join him. These Pikmin are used shortly after to bring down some Sparklium Seeds that are out of reach. Eventually, Olimar finishes exploring this starting area, and leaves the Pikmin he found behind. The adventure proper then starts, with the area First Expedition, where he once again meets the Red Pikmin, again, hiding behind a bush. This time, and from here on out, he takes any Red Pikmin he finds and salvages at the end of the area with him, and leaves them in the Pikmin Park.
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Hey! Pikmin.
There is no task in any game that can only be completed with Red Pikmin in particular. However, as the first type of Pikmin discovered in all three games, they are by default required until a second Pikmin type can be obtained.
Red Pikmin are important, but not required, for the completion of the following tasks. Although for some tasks, Red Pikmin are optional on purpose, others rely on exploits.
- Ship parts
- Libra: They are needed to carry the piece through fire geysers, unless careful timing, whistles, and a large number of carriers are used.
- Analog Computer: Same as the Libra.
- Omega Stabilizer: Same as the Libra.
- Bowsprit: Same as the Libra, but if a nearby bridge is extended and the gate that is out of the path of any other ship part is destroyed, the Pikmin will carry it that way instead, and avoid the geysers.
- Secret Safe: Red Pikmin are the only ones that can cross the path of fire geysers, but with accurate aiming and a long throw, one can throw Yellow Pikmin from the northern bridge onto the end of the geyser path.
- Gyroid Bust: They are needed to carry the piece through fire geysers, unless careful timing, whistles, and fast carrying strategies are used.
- Essence of Despair: There is no water around to defeat the Fiery Bulblax with other Pikmin, so Red Pikmin are needed. But it can be killed using the alternative methods listed below.
- Frosty Bauble: Same as the Essence of Despair.
- Gemstar Wife: Same as the Essence of Despair.
- Dimensional Slicer (US) / Patience Tester (Europe): Same as the Essence of Despair.
- Insect Condo: Same as the Essence of Despair.
- Fiery Bulblax: Only Red Pikmin can withstand its flames. However, if the enemy is submerged, its fire goes out. Even with the fire active, Purple Pikmin can damage it with their impact damage, and White Pikmin can be ingested to poison it. In certain caves, it can be lured into walking into the abyss as well.
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by.
- Pyroclasmic Slooch: The Pyroclasmic Slooch is a slug that is cloaked in flames. By luring one into water, however, its flames temporarily go out while it remains in the water, and can be attacked by any Pikmin type. Other than that, Rock Pikmin deal impact damage to Slooches even if they are cloaked in fire, although the player should whistle them right afterwards to save them. There is also a glitch that allows other types of Pikmin to attack a Slooch without catching fire.
Hey! Pikmin logs
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Red Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as a trophy and a type of Pikmin Olimar can pull from the ground via Pikmin Pluck. Red Pikmin, like in the games, deal a high amount of damage in most attacks; Purple Pikmin only have higher knockback, but do less damage to foes than Red Pikmin. Also, Red Pikmin have fire effects on their attacks, and are immune to fire attacks such as Bowser's Fire Breath or Mario's Fireballs. In Brawl, two stickers exist with Red Pikmin on them, one with a reclining Pikmin, and one with a posing Pikmin.
Smash 4 trophy
- Red Pikmin
- Wii U
A Red Pikmin seed with a bud, possible due to a glitch.
The data file on Red Pikmin's fire-proof nature.
Super Smash Bros. series
A Red Pikmin in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
The Pikmin's e-card, #00 (1st red card).
- The first piece of downloadable content in Animal Crossing: City Folk was a hat item called "Red Pikmin". The item covers all of the character's head except the face, and stems out into a leaf. It could be sent to other regions through befriending Japanese players. The same item was later made available in Europe and then North America (March 25th, 2009 as the second DLC item). It is worth 360 Bells.
- A rectangular pot with a red, blue, and Yellow Pikmin planted in it is a piece of furniture in Animal Crossing: City Folk. It can only be obtained by hacking, however.
- A Red Pikmin Hat can be found in Streetpass Mii Plaza by playing Find Mii.
- Red Pikmin become obsolete early in Pikmin 2, as all manner of fire hazards in the game can be easily destroyed without the use of Red Pikmin. Their greater attack strength also becomes negligible, as Purple Pikmin can also be brought to any area that Red Pikmin can go to.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Rood Pikmin||Red Pikmin|
|French||Pikmin rouge||Red Pikmin|
|German||Rotes Pikmin||Red Pikmin|
|Italian||Pikmin rosso||Red Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin rojo||Red Pikmin|
|Portuguese (NoE)||Pikmin vermelho||Red Pikmin||Used in various Portuguese language material|
|Red Pikmin||Name taken from the Super Smash Bros. series|
|Czech||Červený Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Hey! Pikmin launch trailer|
|Danish||Rød Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Finnish||Punainen Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Hungarian||Píros Pikmin||Dark Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Norwegian||Rød Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Polish||Czerwony Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Swedish||Röd Pikmin||Red Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin|
Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Bulbmin
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Maturity • Onion (Pellet, Enemies) • Pikmin extinction • Spirit|
|Abilities||Carrying • Digging • Dodge • Hiding|
|Controlling||Dismiss • Group move • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Mushroom Pikmin • Olimar as Pikmin|