|Attack strength||: Average (10) |
: Average (10)
|Digging speed||: Average (≈1× the norm) |
: Fast (≈2× the norm) when digging an object; average (≈1×) otherwise
|Size||Body length: 33mm|
|Voice actor||Hajime Wakai|
Yellow Pikmin (黄ピクミン?) are a yellow species of Pikmin, with the special abilities of increased throw height, bomb-rock carrying (in Pikmin), and electricity resistance. They are the second type discovered by Captain Olimar in Pikmin, the fourth type identified in Pikmin 2, and they're first found with Charlie in Pikmin 3. These Pikmin have what would appear to be large ears; these are the means by which they are primarily identifiable. It is not known, however, whether or not this actually aids their hearing. Yellow Pikmin can be thrown higher – an ability that is needed to retrieve certain elevated ship parts, treasures and fruits – and are immune to electricity. Additionally, Yellow Pikmin appear to like being in elevated places, such as trees – this can be concluded from the places they are first found in Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 3. Their main method of production is through the Yellow Onion (or the Master Onion), and like Red Pikmin, Blue Pikmin, and Bulbmin, their buds and flowers are white. Like Red Pikmin and Blue Pikmin, they appear in all games of the series, and in all game modes.
Traits and abilities
Yellow Pikmin seem to have varying abilities that either change or get discovered as time goes on. In all three games, they have large ears, and can be thrown higher than other Pikmin, which is used at times throughout the games. In Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin are the only ones able to wield bomb-rocks, for whatever reason. Digging into the game's files has revealed that all Pikmin were originally supposed to be able to wield bomb-rocks. Because of the rare circumstances in which these Pikmin are needed, they are arguably the least useful type in the first game.
In Pikmin 2, the electrical hazards surface, with Yellow Pikmin now being immune to them (alongside Bulbmin). Additionally, when Olimar discovers the Yellow Pikmin, the Hocotate ship states that the static electricity readings are high. The explanation for this is never revealed, either. Although bomb-rocks appear in the same game, Yellow Pikmin are unable to use them, possibly due to the objects being much larger. Their immunity to electric hazards is very helpful, as electricity is an otherwise instant-death hazard.
In Pikmin 3, Yellow Pikmin once again exhibit their immunity to electricity and their ability to be thrown high. Technically, Yellow Pikmin are able to use bomb rocks again, but this isn't anything notable since all types of Pikmin can do so in this installment. Yellow Pikmin also show a new ability – they can dig faster than other Pikmin (although Rock Pikmin can dig tunnels even faster). This is never explained, though it could be because the ears act as a sort of shovel. This ability is rather helpful, since a number of objects in the game are buried. They also can now conduct electricity. If a circuit is incomplete, enough Yellow Pikmin can continue the flow of electricity and complete it. The Yellow Pikmin also get flowered in the process, somehow. Their immunity to electricity is less useful now, as electricity only stuns other Pikmin, as opposed to instantly killing them.
Interestingly, in New Play Control! Pikmin and New Play Control! Pikmin 2, if Yellow Pikmin are thrown from a piece of chiyogami, a plant, or a fire geyser, they will ascend higher and fall more slowly. This does not work on the GameCube versions.
In Pikmin, a single Yellow Pikmin can be found in The Forest of Hope inside a dormant Yellow Onion. The Onion is located near a few Spotty Bulborbs and yellow pellets. It can be seen from the landing site, and is at the west of the map, beyond the area with the Eternal Fuel Dynamo. When the Onion awakens, it spits out the seed it has. Olimar uses this to grow more, eventually discovers their ability to handle bomb-rocks from the explosives nearby, and uses them to clear the path to various other ship parts.
There is no task in the game that mandatorily requires Yellow Pikmin. Although only their bomb-rocks can be used to take down reinforced walls, all of the walls in the way of ship parts can be circumvented in other ways. Those, and other ship parts that would normally require Yellow Pikmin, are explained in the recommended uses section below.
Although not mandatory, Yellow Pikmin are important in the collection of the following ship parts.
- Positron Generator: Yellow Pikmin are needed to take down the reinforced wall with bomb-rocks, although by throwing some Pikmin out of bounds on the stump with the three large pellets, and then having Olimar lie down next to the pellet on top of the trunk-like structure at the south, he can squeeze through and go out of bounds, and then use the Pikmin that got thrown to enter the beach area without taking down the reinforced wall.
- Whimsical Radar: The area it is in is behind reinforced walls. But by using a pellet dropped by a Dwarf Bulborb near the Yellow Onion, it is possible to clip out of bounds and onto the ledge with the ship part. From there, the player can push the part past the reinforced wall and have it recovered from there. Using the nearby Red Bulborb to push the part helps.
- Extraordinary Bolt: This part is inside a room, blocked by a reinforced wall, but by going out of bounds with the same method as the Whimsical Radar, the player can lie down and push the part to the corner of the room. After doing so, the part will reappear outside the room the next day. From there, it can be pushed through the Yellow Onion gate by the nearby Red Bulborb, like with the Whimsical Radar.
- Radiation Canopy: Like the Whimsical Radar, the section this part is in is behind reinforced walls. But by throwing Pikmin at the ledge surrounding where the Yellow Onion is found, and by going out of bounds with the same method used to get the Whimsical Radar without Yellow Pikmin, the player can guide the Pikmin to the ship part, and take it to the part of the area north of the landing site. From there, they can follow the same procedure as the Whimsical Radar to get the part on the other side of the Yellow Onion gate.
- Nova Blaster: Same as the Radiation Canopy.
- Geiger Counter: The path to the section of the area with this ship part is blocked by a reinforced wall. However, by throwing the Pikmin to the ledge with the Snagrets, and then using a pellet obtained through a Dwarf Red Bulborb near the gate, it is possible to clip through the wall and go to the upper ledge, and bypass the reinforced wall entirely. After the Snagrets are fought and defeated, the Geiger Counter can be pushed over to the lower level and carried to the ship.
- Guard Satellite: The reinforced wall before the Beady Long Legs needs to be destroyed with bomb-rocks. However, by leaving Red Pikmin on the ledge to the side of the gate, and having a nearby Wollywog push Olimar through the gate, it is possible to defeat the Beady Long Legs without using Yellow Pikmin. After that, the same Wollywog can be used to push the ship part close enough to the gate, such that after the day ends, the Guard Satellite appears on the other side of the gate at the next day.
- Libra: The part is on two platforms too high up for other Pikmin to reach. However, with high ledge throws, it should possible to bring Reds or Blues to the Libra. Alternatively, one can get a pellet near the railing wall thanks to a Shearwig, get between the two, lie down to pop up on the railing, and from there walk up to the ship part, where it can then be pushed down.
- UV Lamp[source needed]: The part is on top of a ledge that is too high for Pikmin to be thrown normally.
- Chronos Reactor: The part is on top of a ledge that is too high for Pikmin to be thrown normally. Normally the player must convert Blue Pikmin into Yellow Pikmin, bring the part down, and then convert Yellow Pikmin back into Blue Pikmin to carry across the water. But by throwing Blue Pikmin to ledge by the Spotty Bulbear, and using said enemy to push Olimar into the wall, he will pop up on top of the ledge, and will be able to escort the Blue Pikmin directly to the ship part.
- Secret Safe: If a bomb rock spawns below the ledge where they normally spawn, Captain Olimar can lie down between it and the wall to pop up on the platform where the bombs usually spawn. From there, the player can meet up with Pikmin thrown at a high ledge on the other side of the area. To recover the ship part, it has to be pushed into the opening after the second bridge by lying down, then pushed into the water, and then all the way until after the first gate.
In Pikmin 2
In Pikmin 2, a group of five Yellow Pikmin are found in the Perplexing Pool near the center of the map, at the end of a long and twisted path; White Pikmin are necessary just to reach them, and a Fiery Bulblax guards the entrance to their Onion. They are found relaxing on top of a tree, and exhibit static electricity flowing from their bodies on their discovery cutscene, which is triggered after they are whistled down from their spot. The Hocotate ship states that the static electricity readings are "unusually high".
There is no task in Pikmin 2 that requires Yellow Pikmin exclusively. Even if Yellow Pikmin are required to destroy electric gates, none need to be taken down for a full completion. All treasures can be collected with other Pikmin types with the use of exploits, detailed in the recommended uses section below.
Although not mandatory, Yellow Pikmin are important in the completion of the following tasks.
- Healing Cask (US) / Hypnotic Platter (Europe): It is on a high ledge, though with exploits, other Pikmin can reach it as well.
- Decorative Goo: To reach the treasure, the electric gate blocking the northern section of the map needs to be cleared. But by using the carrying charge glitch, the treasure can be sped up behind the gate, and carried over the wall next to the gate.
- Gherkin Gate: The treasure is on top of a high ledge, requiring Yellow Pikmin to reach it. The high ledge trick can also be used to get it with any other Pikmin type.
- Impediment Scourge: Same as the Gherkin Gate.
- Optical Illustration (US) / Abstract Masterpiece (Europe): The treasure is in a room closed by an electric gate. By using the carrying charge glitch, it can be carried past the gate, though.
- Conifer Spire: There is an electric gate blocking the path towards this treasure. The player can charge the treasure and make it go past the electric gate. Alternatively, the player can reach the Conifer Spire in the same way they can reach Hole of Heroes (see below). Then, they can move the treasure up the bamboo chute towards Hole of Heroes by exploiting a strange treasure mechanic. At some point, the treasure must clip through the floor, which happens for unknown reasons. Then, once the treasure is located by Hole of Heroes, the Pikmin will carry Conifer Spire in a path that does not go through the electric gate..
- Anode Beetle: Anode Beetles can shock other types of Pikmin if there are at least two, which will instantly kill them. However, it is possible to kill them even with no Yellow Pikmin.
- Bulblax Kingdom: The entrance to the cave is blocked off by an electric gate. It is, however, possible to access the cave without destroying it, by exploiting a carrying path oversight.
- Shower Room: The access to the Shower Room is blocked off by an electric gate. With the seesaw block glitch, it's possible to enter the tile section of the map where the cave is without destroying the gate.
- Glutton's Kitchen: The cave is blocked by an electric gate, but with a carrying path oversight, it's possible to have a Pikmin carry a leader over the wall, leading to the entrance of the cave.
- Hole of Heroes: The path towards Hole of Heroes is obstructed by an electric gate, but the player can go around it while out of bounds. To get out of bounds, the player can utilize the knockback from a Fiery Blowhog, a Creeping Chrysanthemum, or a Gatling Groink.
In Pikmin 3
In Pikmin 3, Yellow Pikmin are first encountered by Captain Charlie on day 1, at the Distant Tundra, with some of them idling atop some tree branches. However, they are not officially introduced as Yellow Pikmin yet. After helping him for a bit, they flee when he faces the Vehemoth Phosbat. Later on, when going to the Distant Tundra for the first time with Alph and Brittany, Brittany falls out of the ship and into a cave (which consequently separates her from Alph). She finds two Yellow Pikmin trying to complete a circuit in the cave. The player must pluck three buried Yellow Pikmin nearby to complete the circuit; upon doing so, a light-bulb is activated, causing the Yellow Onion to fly up out of the ground. Brittany then uses the newly discovered Pikmin type to reunite with Alph.
Yellow Pikmin must be used in order to collect the following fruits and defeat the following enemies, and there are no glitches or exploits that allow other Pikmin types to do so.
- Astringent Clump (Distant Tundra): An electric gate blocks the path this fruit takes to get back to the ship.
- Citrus Lump (Distant Tundra, in the cave): This fruit can only be collected if the Bloominous Stemples are first expanded. While Winged Pikmin can reach it, they will simply drop into the maze of stems below, and be unable to carry the Citrus Lump anywhere meaningful.
- Cupid's Grenade (Distant Tundra, near the iron ball): This fruit is in a section of the area blocked by an electric gate.
- Pocked Airhead (Garden of Hope): This fruit is in a room closed off by an electric gate.
- Velvety Dreamdrop (Distant Tundra): This fruit is in a section of the area blocked by an electric gate.
- Anti-Electrifier: This upgrade is in a section of the area blocked by an electric gate.
- Electric gate: Electric gates can only be destroyed by Yellow Pikmin.
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Pikmin 3.
Yellow Pikmin are intended to be used to complete these tasks, but through the use of glitches, exploits, or tricks, the tasks can be completed without Yellow Pikmin.
- Access the Distant Tundra: At least 20 Yellow Pikmin must be grown upon first landing in the Distant Tundra with Brittany to be able to exit the cave to access the rest of the area and continue the game, but it is possible to exit the cave by going out of bounds, and it is still possible to rescue Charlie with further glitches. This makes Yellow Pikmin skippable, though many fruits become inaccessible if this is done.
- Get Winged Pikmin: To rescue the Winged Onion and unlock Winged Pikmin, an electrode must be used to access fragments required to build a bridge to the new Onion. But by clipping through the wall in the river, it is possible to get to the Winged Onion without building the bridge.
- Astringent Clump (Garden of Hope): This fruit is in an area closed off by an electric gate. One can throw a leader onto the lower row of bricks near the gate, and then use Winged Pikmin with the charge command to retrieve the fruit without the need to destroy the barrier.
- Dusk Pustules (Distant Tundra): This fruit is in a cave blocked by an electric gate far away. But by going out of bounds to get to the Vehemoth Phosbat's arena without Yellow Pikmin, it is possible to collect this fruit.
- Dusk Pustules (Garden of Hope): This fruit is in a cave blocked by an electric gate. However, there is a glitch that allows the gate to be bypassed.
- Heroine's Tear: This fruit is in a cave blocked by an electric gate far away. But by going out of bounds to get to the Vehemoth Phosbat's arena without Yellow Pikmin, it is possible to collect this fruit.
- Juicy Gaggle (Tropical Wilds): A Bouncy Mushroom that can only be reached with Yellow Pikmin must be used to access the cave with this fruit by normal means, however, an exploit can also be used.
- Stellar Extrusion (Garden of Hope): Same method as the Dusk Pustules in the Garden of Hope.
- Vehemoth Phosbat: This boss can only be harmed normally by lighting up the room, which can only be done with Yellow Pikmin. However, with perseverance, it's possible to defeat it with any Pikmin type, given that it becomes temporarily vulnerable when it uses its sucking attack.
Although not mandatory, Yellow Pikmin are important in the completion of the following tasks.
- Citrus Lump (Distant Tundra, buried): This fruit is near a Bearded Amprat, and defeating the enemy first is recommended; plus Yellow Pikmin dig faster.
- Disguised Delicacy (Tropical Wilds): This fruit is inside a Shaggy Long Legs, and half of its arena is closed off by an electric gate. While it is possible to defeat it while staying in the second half, it is much faster to use both halves.
- Stellar Extrusion (Tropical Wilds): This fruit is so high up that Pikmin must be thrown at it from a ledge that requires a Yellow Pikmin seesaw block puzzle to get to. Alternatively, it can be accessed by manipulating the camera and sending Winged Pikmin to charge at it.
- Tremendous Sniffer: This fruit is blocked by a reinforced wall, and the bomb rocks in this area are easiest to get with Yellow Pikmin.
- Bearded Amprat: This creature can emit electricity and stun all non-Yellow Pikmin.
In Hey! Pikmin
To do: Describe the first encounter with Yellow Pikmin, and write a list of treasures requiring Yellow Pikmin to collect.
- Electric Cottonade: Yellow Pikmin are the only Pikmin able to defeat it.
- Electric Spectralid: Though they have electric bodies, meaning only Yellow Pikmin can fight them, they don't appear in any area where other Pikmin types appear.
- Electripede: Even though this enemy can only be activated, not defeated, Yellow Pikmin are the only ones able to activate it.
- Widemouthed Anode Beetle: It is covered in electricity, so only Yellow Pikmin can defeat it.
In Pikmin Bloom
In Pikmin Bloom, Yellow Pikmin are the second type obtained, and are unlocked at level 4. They have no special features, being a standard type that can carry 1 weight unit and deals 4 base damage in mushroom challenges. Their seedlings take the strength of 1 Pikmin to carry and 1000 steps to grow.
Hey! Pikmin logs
Pikmin Bloom description
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Yellow Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as a trophy, and a kind of Pikmin Olimar can pull from the ground using his Pikmin Pluck special move. Yellow Pikmin, like in Pikmin 2, are immune to electrical moves like Pikachu's Thunder or forward smash, and can attack with electric properties. They are also thrown higher and longer than other Pikmin. In Brawl, a sticker for a Yellow Pikmin also exists.
Smash 4 trophy
- Wii U
A Yellow Pikmin with a bomb rock.
The three stages of a Yellow Pikmin in Pikmin 2.
Artwork of a Yellow Pikmin next to a crystallized Sunseed Berry.
A screenshot of Pikmin 3 featuring some Yellow Pikmin sitting on a rock, along with a few White Spectralids.
Captain Charlie finds some Yellow Pikmin on top of a can in Pikmin 3.
The Pikmin's e-card, #00 (1st yellow card).
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Gele Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin|
|French||Pikmin jaune||Yellow Pikmin|
|German||Gelbes Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin|
|Italian||Pikmin giallo||Yellow Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin amarillo||Yellow Pikmin|
|Portuguese (NoE)||Pikmin amarelo||Yellow Pikmin|
|Czech||Žlutý Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Hey! Pikmin launch trailer|
|Danish||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Finnish||Keltainen Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Yellow Pikmin||Used in official media|
|Hungarian||Sárga Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Norwegian||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Polish||Żółty Pikmin||Yellow Piikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Swedish||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
- YouTube video of the sound test in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (at 23:33)
- Pikmin on The Cutting Room Floor
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher from a piece of chiyogami
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher from a plant
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher thanks to a fire geyser
- YouTube video showing the Positron Generator being collected using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Whimsical Radar and the Geiger Counter without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Extraordinary Bolt, Nova Blaster, and Radiation Canopy without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to get the Guard Satellite with Red Pikmin only, published on July 3rd, 2018, retrieved on July 3rd, 2018
- YouTube video showing how, in theory, it is possible to obtain the Libra using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to get Captain Olimar up to the Libra's platform
- YouTube video explaining how the Secret Safe can be collected with Red Pikmin only, published on August 10th, 2018, retrieved on August 11th, 2018
- YouTube video of the Awakening Wood being completed in a single day, with the Decorative Goo carried over the wall
- Niconico video on Niconico, published on September 15th, 2018, retrieved on October 6th, 2018
- YouTube video of the Conifer Spire being carried beyond the electric gate with the carrying charge glitch, published on September 21st, 2018, retrieved on September 23rd, 2018
- YouTube video of how treasures can move without being carried
- YouTube video Part 1 of collecting Conifer Spire without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video Part 2 of collecting Conifer Spire without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video of a player getting out of bounds in Wistful Wild from a Fiery Blowhog
- YouTube video of a player getting out of bounds in Wistful Wild from a Chrysanthemum
- YouTube video of a player getting out of bounds in Wistful Wild from a Gatling Groink
- YouTube video of a method to bypass destruction of the electric gates (at 01:44), published on December 21st, 2020, retrieved on July 4th, 2022
- YouTube video of the trick used to obtain the Gaggle without use of Yellow Pikmin (at 03:25), published on June 8th, 2022, retrieved on July 4th, 2022
- פיקמין 3 דלוקס - טריילר בעברית on Nintendo Israel's official YouTube account
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin|
Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Bulbmin
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Idle • Maturity • Onion (Pellet, Enemy)|
Pikmin extinction • Trip • Seed • Seedling • Soul • Squad
|Abilities||Carry • Dig • Dodge • Fight • Hide|
|Controls||Charge • Dismiss • Swarm • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Decor Pikmin • Mushroom Pikmin • Pikpik carrot|