|Attack|| : Average (10) |
: Average (10)
|Digging speed|| : Average (≈1× the norm) |
: Fast (≈2× the norm) when digging an object; average (≈1×) otherwise
|Size||Body length: 33mm|
Yellow Pikmin (黄ピクミン?) are the second type of Pikmin discovered by Captain Olimar, and their first discovery is in Pikmin. They are the fourth type identified in Pikmin 2, and they're first found with Charlie in Pikmin 3. These Pikmin have what would appear to be large ears; these are the means by which they are primarily identifiable. It is not known, however, whether or not this actually aids their hearing. Yellow Pikmin can be thrown higher – an ability that is needed to retrieve certain elevated ship parts, treasures and fruits – and are immune to electricity. Additionally, Yellow Pikmin appear to like being in elevated places, such as trees – this can be concluded from the places they are found in in Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 3. Like all other main types of Pikmin, their buds and flowers are white, and their main method of production is through the Onion. Like Red Pikmin and Blue Pikmin, they appear in all games of the series, and in all game modes.
Traits and abilities
Yellow Pikmin seem to have varying abilities that either change or get discovered as time goes on. In all three games, they have large ears, and can be thrown higher than other Pikmin, which is used at times throughout the games. In Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin are the only ones able to wield bomb-rocks, for whatever reason. Digging into the game's files has revealed that all Pikmin were originally supposed to be able to wield bomb-rocks. Because of the rare circumstances in which these Pikmin are needed, they are arguably the least useful type in the first game.
In Pikmin 2, the electrical hazards surface, with Yellow Pikmin now being immune to them (alongside Bulbmin). Additionally, when Olimar discovers the Yellow Pikmin, the Hocotate ship states that the static electricity readings are high. The explanation for this is never revealed, either. Although bomb-rocks appear in the same game, Yellow Pikmin are unable to use them, possibly due to the objects being much larger. Their immunity to electric hazards is very helpful, as electricity is an otherwise instant-death hazard.
In Pikmin 3, Yellow Pikmin once again exhibit their immunity to electricity and their ability to be thrown high. Technically, Yellow Pikmin are able to use bomb rocks again, but this isn't anything notable since all types of Pikmin can do so in this installment. Yellow Pikmin also show a new ability – they can dig faster than other Pikmin (although Rock Pikmin can dig tunnels even faster). This is never explained, though it could be because the ears act as a sort of shovel. This ability is rather helpful, since a number of objects in the game are buried. They also can now conduct electricity. If a circuit is incomplete, enough Yellow Pikmin can continue the flow of electricity and complete it. The Yellow Pikmin also get flowered in the process, somehow. Their immunity to electricity is less useful now, as electricity only stuns other Pikmin, as opposed to instantly killing them.
Interestingly, in New Play Control! Pikmin and New Play Control! Pikmin 2, if Yellow Pikmin are thrown from a piece of chiyogami, a plant, or a fire geyser, they will ascend higher and fall more slowly. This does not work on the GameCube versions.
In Pikmin, a single Yellow Pikmin can be found in The Forest of Hope inside a dormant yellow Onion. The Onion is located near a few Spotty Bulborbs and yellow pellets. It can be seen from the landing site, and is at the west of the map, beyond the area with the Eternal Fuel Dynamo. When the Onion awakens, it spits out the seed it has. Olimar uses this to grow more, eventually discovers their ability to handle bomb-rocks from the explosives nearby, and uses them to clear the path to various other ship parts.
In Pikmin 2, one can find a group of five in the Perplexing Pool near the center of the map, at the end of a long and twisted path; White Pikmin are necessary just to reach them, and a Fiery Bulblax guards the entrance to their Onion. They are found relaxing on top of a tree, and exhibit static electricity flowing from their bodies on their discovery cutscene, which is triggered after they are whistled down from their spot. The Hocotate ship states that the static electricity readings are "unusually high".
In Pikmin 3, Yellow Pikmin are first encountered by Captain Charlie on day 1, at the Distant Tundra, with some of them idling atop some tree branches. However, they are not officially introduced as Yellow Pikmin yet. After helping him for a bit, they flee when he faces the Vehemoth Phosbat. Later on, when going to the Distant Tundra for the first time with Alph and Brittany, Brittany falls out of the ship and into a cave (which consequently separates her from Alph). She finds two Yellow Pikmin trying to complete a circuit in the cave. The player must pluck three buried Yellow Pikmin nearby to complete the circuit; upon doing so, a light-bulb is activated, causing the yellow Onion to fly up out of the ground. Brittany then uses the newly discovered Pikmin type to reunite with Alph.
Yellow Pikmin must be used in order to obtain the following objects and defeat the following enemies. No other Pikmin type can be used, not even with exploits.
- Ship parts
- Hole of Heroes: The only way to access the cave is through a path that's blocked by an electric gate.
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by.
- Disguised Delicacy: The one in the Distant Tundra is in a crystal in the room where Yellow Pikmin are discovered, meaning the room must first be opened.
- Pocked Airhead: The one in the Garden of Hope is in a room closed off by an electric gate.
- Astringent Clump: The one in the Garden of Hope is in an area closed off by an electric gate. Although one could throw a leader to the bricks above the gate via the first set of elevator platforms, and then using Winged Pikmin with the charge command, the gate still needs to be taken down.
- Stellar Extrusion: The one in the Garden of Hope requires an electric gate to be destroyed.
- Citrus Lump: One in the Distant Tundra can only be collected if the Bloominous Stemples are first expanded. While Winged Pikmin can reach it, they will simply drop into the maze of stems below, and be unable to carry the Citrus Lump anywhere meaningful.
- Electric gate: Electric gates can only be destroyed by Yellow Pikmin.
Although not mandatory, Yellow Pikmin are important in the completion of the following tasks.
- Ship parts
- Positron Generator: Yellow Pikmin are needed to take down the reinforced wall with bomb-rocks, although by throwing some Pikmin out of bounds on the stump with the three large pellets, and then having Olimar lie down next to the pellet on top of the trunk-like structure at the south, he can squeeze through and go out of bounds, and then use the Pikmin that got thrown to enter the beach area without taking down the reinforced wall.
- Whimsical Radar: The area it is in is behind reinforced walls. But by using a pellet dropped by a Dwarf Red Bulborb near the Yellow Onion, it is possible to clip out of bounds and onto the ledge with the ship part. From there, the player can push the part past the reinforced wall and have it recovered from there. Using the nearby Red Bulborb to push the part helps.
- Extraordinary Bolt: This part is inside a room, blocked by a reinforced wall, but by going out of bounds with the same method as the Whimsical Radar, the player can lie down and push the part to the corner of the room. After doing so, the part will reappear outside the room the next day. From there, it can be pushed through the yellow Onion gate by the nearby Red Bulborb, like with the Whimsical Radar.
- Radiation Canopy: Like the Whimsical Radar, the section this part is in is behind reinforced walls. But by throwing Pikmin at the ledge surrounding where the yellow Onion is found, and by going out of bounds with the same method used to get the Whimsical Radar without Yellow Pikmin, the player can guide the Pikmin to the ship part, and take it to the part of the area north of the landing site. From there, they can follow the same procedure as the Whimsical Radar to get the part on the other side of the yellow Onion gate.
- Nova Blaster: Same as the Radiation Canopy.
- Geiger Counter: The path to the section of the area with this ship part is blocked by a reinforced wall. However, by throwing the Pikmin to the ledge with the Snagrets, and then using a pellet obtained through a Dwarf Red Bulborb near the gate, it is possible to clip through the wall and go to the upper ledge, and bypass the reinforced wall entirely. After the Snagrets are fought and defeated, the Geiger Counter can be pushed over to the lower level and carried to the ship.
- Libra: The part is on two platforms too high up for other Pikmin to reach. However, with high ledge throws, it should possible to bring Reds or Blues to the Libra. Alternatively, one can get a pellet near the railing wall thanks to a Shearwig, get between the two, lie down to pop up on the railing, and from there walk up to the ship part, where it can then be pushed down.
- UV Lamp[source needed]: The part is on top of a ledge that is too high for Pikmin to be thrown normally.
- Healing Cask (US) / Hypnotic Platter (Europe): It is on a high ledge, though with exploits, other Pikmin can reach it as well.
- Decorative Goo: To reach the treasure, the electric gate blocking the northern section of the map needs to be cleared. But by using the carrying charge glitch, the treasure can be sped up behind the gate, and carried over the wall next to the gate.
- Gherkin Gate: The treasure is on top of a high ledge, requiring Yellow Pikmin to reach it. The high ledge trick can also be used to get it with any other Pikmin type.
- Impediment Scourge: Same as the Gherkin Gate.
- Anode Beetle: Anode Beetles can shock other types of Pikmin if there are at least two, which will instantly kill them. However, it is possible to kill them even with no Yellow Pikmin.
- Bulblax Kingdom: The entrance to the cave is blocked off by an electric gate. It is, however, possible to access the cave without destroying it, by exploiting a carrying path oversight.
- Shower Room: The access to the Shower Room is blocked off by an electric gate. With the seesaw block glitch, it's possible to enter the tile section of the map where the cave is without destroying the gate.
- Glutton's Kitchen: The cave is blocked by an electric gate, but with a carrying path oversight, it's possible to have a Pikmin carry a leader over the wall, leading to the entrance of the cave.
- Blue Onion: The electric gate the blocks the path to the blue Onion can only be destroyed by Yellows. Despite that, one can reach the Onion by using the seesaw block glitch.
This article or section is a stub. You can help Pikipedia by.
- Disguised Delicacy: The one in the Tropical Wilds is inside a Shaggy Long Legs, and its arena is closed off by an electric gate. The player can also summon it from the other entrance as well.
- Stellar Extrusion: In the Tropical Wilds, the branch it is on is attached to a high area that requires a Yellow Pikmin seesaw block puzzle. Alternatively, it can be accessed by manipulating the camera and sending Winged Pikmin to charge at it.
- Dusk Pustules: For the one in the Garden of Hope, by normal means, an electric gate must be destroyed; however, there is a glitch that allows them to be accessed without destroying the gate.[source needed]
- Juicy Gaggle: For the one in the Tropical Wilds, normally, a Bouncy Mushroom must be used that can only be reached with Yellow Pikmin. A glitch can also be used, though.[source needed]
- Vehemoth Phosbat: This boss can only be harmed normally by lighting up the room, which can only be done with Yellow Pikmin. Although with perseverance, it's possible to defeat it with any Pikmin type, given that it becomes temporarily vulnerable when it is using its sucking attack.
- Bearded Amprat: This creature can emit electricity and stun all non-Yellow Pikmin.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Yellow Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U as a trophy, and a kind of Pikmin Olimar can pull from the ground using his Pikmin Pluck special move. Yellow Pikmin, like in Pikmin 2, are immune to electrical moves like Pikachu's Thunder or forward smash, and can attack with electric properties. They are also thrown higher and longer than other Pikmin. In Brawl, a sticker for a Yellow Pikmin also exists.
Smash 4 trophy
- Wii U
A screenshot of Pikmin 3 featuring some Yellow Pikmin sitting on a rock, along with a few White Spectralids.
A Yellow Pikmin with a bomb-rock.
The three stages of Yellow Pikmin.
Artwork of a Yellow Pikmin next to a crystallized Sunseed Berry.
The Pikmin's e-card, #00 (1st yellow card).
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Geel Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin|
|French||Pikmin jaune||Yellow Pikmin|
|German||Gelbe Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin|
|Italian||Pikmin giallo||Yellow Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin amarillo||Yellow Pikmin|
|Czech||Žlutý Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Hey! Pikmin launch trailer|
|Danish||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Finnish||Keltainen Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Hungarian||Sárga Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Norwegian||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Polish||Żółtymi Pikmin||Yellow Piikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Pikmin Amarelo||Yellow Pikmin||Translation taken from the Pikmin instruction manual|
|Russian||Желтый пикмин / Желтый Pikmin
Zheltyy pikmin / Zheltyy Pikmin
|Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Swedish||Gul Pikmin||Yellow Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
- Pikmin on The Cutting Room Floor
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher from a piece of chiyogami
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher from a plant
- YouTube video showing Yellow Pikmin being thrown higher thanks to a fire geyser
- YouTube video showing the Positron Generator being collected using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Whimsical Radar and the Geiger Counter without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Extraordinary Bolt, Nova Blaster, and Radiation Canopy without Yellow Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how, in theory, it is possible to obtain the Libra using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to get Captain Olimar up to the Libra's platform
- YouTube video of the Awakening Wood being completed in a single day, with the Decorative Goo carried over the wall
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin • Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Bulbmin|
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Maturity • Onion • Pikmin extinction • Spirit|
|Abilities||Carrying • Digging • Dodge • Hiding|
|Controlling||Dismiss • Group move • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Mushroom Pikmin • Olimar as Pikmin|