|Scientific name||Pikminidae caerula|
|Size||Body length: 33mm|
|Voice actor||Hajime Wakai|
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Pikmin 4.
Blue Pikmin (青ピクミン?) are a blue species of Pikmin that reside on PNF-404. They have the special ability of water resistance. This type of Pikmin is present in all game modes of all Pikmin games, and is the last type to be discovered in the Story mode of Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Pikmin 3, as well as the fourth type discovered in Pikmin 4. Besides their coloration, these Pikmin are distinguishable from other Pikmin species by their pink mouths, a trait seen in no other Pikmin species. These mouths are used to take in water, which filters oxygen through gills, giving them the ability to breathe both underwater and on dry land. Producing more Blue Pikmin can be done by carrying pellets or enemy carcasses to the Blue Onion (or the Master Onion), or by throwing other species into a Lapis Lazuli Candypop Bud or a Candypop Bud. As with Red Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin and Bulbmin, their buds and flowers are white.
The exact location of their gills is not consistently explained in the series, having been said to be on the cheeks, near the cheeks, on their mouths, and not even visible. Pikmin 4 consistently says that the mouth is the gills.
Traits and abilities
Blue Pikmin are the only permanent Pikmin type which can safely enter water and traverse the floor underneath, as the other types (barring Bulbmin and Glow Pikmin, which are immune to all hazards) will simply flail around in panic before drowning if they are immersed (Ice Pikmin can float on the surface and Winged Pikmin can fly over, but neither can go under or resist water attacks from enemies). While in water, the Blue Pikmin behave almost the same as they do on land. In the first two games, if they are idle and see a nearby Pikmin drowning in water, they will quickly run to them, pick them up, and throw them to shore. However, they will not rescue Pikmin if they are a certain distance away, so they can't always be relied on. At least in Pikmin 2, this throw aims at the nearest carrying path waypoint, and works the same as a normal leader throw, which means it can be used for things like crushing a Dwarf Bulborb. In Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 4, this rescuing feature was removed, and Blue Pikmin now also have the ability to swim freely while in pursuit, something necessary to reach some enemies that swim above the ground level.
Aside from their water resistance, Blue Pikmin have largely average attack power, durability, mobility, digging speed and throw distance. As such, they are not exceptional for most any activities outside of water, as most enemies that use water-based attacks can easily be defeated without Blue Pikmin. The only real exception to this is the addition of sprinkler hazards in Pikmin 4 which, while on, only Blue Pikmin can safely pass through. Interestingly, Blue Pikmin are more likely to die than other types in Pikmin 2, as noted here.
In Pikmin, Olimar finds the dormant Blue Onion in The Forest Navel, which proves to be a big help in the aquatic area, The Distant Spring. Their Onion is first found near the massive stump holding the Automatic Gear, and is located inside a small pond. Like with the red and yellow Onions, a seed pops out when the Onion wakes up, which Olimar then plucks. The Blue Pikmin's ability to live underwater is immediately demonstrated, since the Onion, the seed, and the new Pikmin appear underwater during this event.
There are glitches and exploits that make it so that Blue Pikmin are not required to collect any ship parts or defeat any enemies. There are two main ones: the object nudging glitch allows one to push ship parts out of the water, while the drowning reset glitch allows Pikmin to travel large bodies of water without drowning. Other minor exploits and glitches include ending the day to make a ship part appear on the closest carrying waypoint in the following day, which can place ship parts in unintended places, and the ability to place a lying Olimar between a treasure and a wall to make him pop up on top of the wall, and going out of bounds.
- Ship parts
- Positron Generator: The ship part is inside a Pearly Clamclamp on a beach, and defeating the enemy will drop the ship part in the water. But by using small islands on the beach, it is possible to attack the Pearly Clamclamp using Red or Yellow Pikmin, and the ship part can then be pushed out of the water with the object nudging glitch.
- Radiation Canopy: The path that Olimar needs to cross to reach this part is blocked by a gate inside a body of water. However, with precise throws, it's possible to throw bomb-rock Yellow Pikmin to the top of the gate, and destroy it without needing Blue Pikmin.
- Geiger Counter: In order to reach the Burrowing Snagret that holds the ship part, a cardboard box must be pushed out of the way, and Blue Pikmin need to be guided from a puddle to the backside of the box. However, it is possible to use other Pikmin to throw the box, either with long throws or by throwing them to the top of the box and guiding them to the back.
- Sagittarius: Two bridges must be built to reach the part, but one of them can only be reached by tossing Pikmin while in a large pond. Luckily, there is a small protrusion on the island that allows non-Blue Pikmin to shore on, and from there, they can be thrown at the bridge. To reach the bit of land, the Pikmin can just swim towards it from the mainland.
- Analog Computer: This ship part is submerged in water, although it can be taken out using the object nudging glitch.
- #1 Ionium Jet: This ship part is submerged in water. It can be pushed out with the object nudging glitch, but it is too resistant to the pushes to do so effectively. By luring a Male Sheargrub and using its corpse or a pellet, Olimar can push the pellet, which in turn pushes the ship part. By bringing it close to the bodies of water in the higher levels and ending the day, it is possible for the Ionium Jet to appear in the next body of water by the next day. Eventually, the ship part can be brought to land.
- Libra: Blue Pikmin are needed to activate the geyser that gives Olimar access to the first high ledge. However, it is possible to have other Pikmin types open the geyser; if they are guided towards it, they might land one or two hits before starting their drowning sequence. They can just be called back, and the process can be repeated until the geyser is enabled. Alternatively, one can use a pellet from a Shearwig to clip to the railing wall, and from there, walk up to the ship part and push it down.
- Anti-Dioxin Filter: The part is on a large pool of water, but with the object nudging glitch, it is possible to take it out without Blue Pikmin. Wollywog corpses can be used to help push the part, and a Breadbug dragging a Male Sheargrub corpse can be used to push the part mostly onto dry land.
- Interstellar Radio: The Puffy Blowhog containing this ship part is over water and the path to carry the ship part back to the ship goes through the large lake of water. By going out of bounds on the south using the Massage Machine, and attacking the Blowhog from dry land, and by nudging the ship part out of the water, it can be collected.
- Repair-type Bolt: This part is on top of a ledge. When it falls off, it will almost immediately land in the water. It can be nudged to dry land, however.
- Chronos Reactor: This part is located a long way across a pool of water. As part of the puzzle, the Blue Pikmin carrying this part must first become Yellow Pikmin. By using the Spotty Bulbear near the maze, Olimar can be pushed to the ledges out of bounds, and from there, lure a Swooping Snitchbug near where the Chronos Reactor is. Its corpse or pellets can be used to bring Olimar to the ship part's ledge, where it can then be pushed all the way out of the water section of the area and onto regular dry land.
- #2 Ionium Jet: This part is on top of a tall ledge that opens into water. By bringing Pikmin to the ship part's shore using the drowning reset glitch, it's possible to bring enough Pikmin to take the part out of the ledge. From there, it can be pushed to near the Pilot's Seat section, which will make it appear right next to the Pilot's Seat the next day. Since it takes too long to push normally, a Water Dumple corpse must be pushed instead, which in turn pushes the Ionium Jet.
- Gluon Drive: This part is opposite a wide river, and a bridge must be built from the other side. However, Pikmin can be tossed from the Zirconium Rotor's location.
- Zirconium Rotor: This part is behind a gate that is difficult to destroy without Blue Pikmin, but it can be done without them.
- Massage Machine: This part is across a large lake, with the bridge that must be built located on the opposite shore. However, by throwing Red Pikmin or Yellow Pikmin to the water and whistling them to the other shore, it is possible to have them build the bridge.
- Secret Safe: The island with the bridges is in the middle of the lake, meaning Blue Pikmin must traverse it to reach it. That said, it is not too hard to guide Red or Yellow Pikmin to the island, by whistling them to it while they're drowning.
- Goolix: Only Blue Pikmin can touch its body, but it's still possible to defeat the creature without them by throwing Pikmin when it stretches.
In Pikmin 2
In Pikmin 2, 5 Blue Pikmin are found in the Awakening Wood. This is first hinted at when the Onion stops spitting out seeds, but there are only a reported 95 out 100 Pikmin on the field. They are found chasing a few Wolpoles beyond an electric gate guarded by a Cloaking Burrow-nit at the north of the map. To obtain them, Olimar and Louie break down the gate with the Yellow Pikmin, and proceed to whistle them to take them under their command. Once again, their underwater prowesses are instantly noticeable, since they are found in a large lake.
Blue Pikmin are required to collect these treasures or enter these caves, and there are no glitches or exploits that allow other Pikmin types to do so.
- Valley of Repose, second half: to access the parts of the Valley of Repose not accessible on day 1 and 2, Blue Pikmin must be used to destroy a white bramble gate and a clog just past the Emergence Cave. This makes Blue Pikmin required to access the following caves and treasures:
Blue Pikmin are recommended for these treasures, caves, or enemies, though these tasks can be done without the type by using glitches or exploits.
- Air Brake: Only Blue Pikmin can use the seesaw blocks that are underwater. With long throws and/or the high ledge glitch, Yellow or Purple Pikmin can access the ledge the treasure is on and carry it back safely.
- Spiny Alien Treat: Despite being near a lake that can only be drained with the help of Blue Pikmin, the carrying path taken by the Pikmin carrying the Spiny Alien Treat just skims the side of the lake and only some of the Pikmin carrying it will touch the water. Alternatively, the Decorative Goo method can be used so no Pikmin start drowning.
- Decorative Goo: The path to carry the treasure back to the ship goes through water, but by using a certain glitch, it's possible for treasures to be carried in water with non-Blue Pikmin during cutscenes. Another glitch called charging also helps minimize how long the treasure is underwater for, meaning the treasure can be carried through the water in the duration of just one cutscene.
- Pink Menace: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Onion Replica: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Optical Illustration (US) / Abstract Masterpiece (Europe): Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Massage Girdle: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Wolpole: Although this aquatic enemy can jump onto land and become vulnerable, the chances of this happening are quite slim.
- The clog near the landing site of the Awakening Wood can be destroyed with any type of Pikmin by throwing them at a specific spot near the center of the clog. They will be able to damage it before slipping off and entering the water, which means they can slowly but surely destroy it.
- In order to access the southern part of the Wistful Wild, an underwater clog must be taken down. The only way to bring things back to the landing site is to build the bridge on the other side of a lake; provided the player has destroyed the clog, they can go around and build it with any Pikmin type, but if not, Blue Pikmin will have to cross the lake and build it.
In Pikmin 3
In Pikmin 3, the Blue Onion is found in the Garden of Hope, but can only be found after Louie has ran away from the Koppaites after being rescued in the Twilight River. The explorers chase after him, but instead find an Onion trapped under a Flukeweed. From this, the Blue Onion is found, and after it ejects a seed that is then plucked, the explorers discover the Blue Pikmin, which prove to be essential in finding Louie again. As with the previous games, the Blue Pikmin are instantly shown to be able to withstand being underwater, since the Onion, seed, and newly-plucked Pikmin are underwater.
Blue Pikmin are meant to be used to obtain numerous different fruits and defeat many enemies, but as a result of Pikmin 3's many glitches and exploits, they are only needed for one objective:
- Wayward Moon: A pot-shaped bridge with some of its fragments underwater must be built to access the boss that contains the fruit normally, but sequence-breaking techniques can be used to bypass the building of this bridge and collect the fruit with Winged Pikmin. However, an invisible wall will block off the path to the arena until at least one Blue Pikmin has been plucked. Once this Pikmin is plucked, the entire game can be completed without any further need of Blue Pikmin.
Blue Pikmin are intended to be used to collect these fruits and defeat these enemies, but through the use of glitches, exploits, or tricks, these tasks can be completed without them.
- Citrus Lump (Garden of Hope): The fruit is fully submerged in water next to the metal box, but can be retrieved by employing the invincible Pikmin glitch with a Fiery Blowhog.
- Citrus Lump (Twilight River): The fruit is fully submerged in water near the landing site. However, using the invincible Pikmin glitch with a Skeeterskate, it is possible to collect it with Winged Pikmin.
- Crunchy Deluge: Like the previous Citrus Lump, this fruit is located underwater at the far end of the Twilight River, and can be collected in the same way, though it notably takes 10 Pikmin to carry, the most out of any fruit that requires the invincible Pikmin glitch to retrieve without Blues.
- Portable Sunset (Distant Tundra): This fruit is on a low branch above a pool of water. Upon throwing 8 Pikmin on it, it will fall into the water. Winged Pikmin can also be used to detach the fruit, but it'll land in the water regardless. It can then be retrieved by using the invincible Pikmin glitch with a fire geyser, Fiery Blowhog, Pyroclasmic Slooch, or Skeeterskate.
- Scaly Custard (Garden of Hope): The fruit is within a Peckish Aristocrab on an area of land that can only be reached by building a pot-shaped bridge with some of its fragments underwater. However, using a sequence break, it is possible to bypass the building of this bridge and collect the fruit with Winged Pikmin.
- Searing Acidshock (Garden of Hope, inside the crystal): Normally, a bridge must be built using fragments, some of which are underwater, but it is possible to build half the bridge and throw Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin across the gap, allowing the crystal to be broken and the fruit to be carried back.
- Searing Acidshock (Tropical Wilds): The fruit is held by a Calcified Crushblat, and to access the enemy, an underwater dirt wall must be destroyed. This can be done with any type of Pikmin by using the invincible Pikmin glitch.
- Sunseed Berry (Garden of Hope, near the Blue Onion): This fruit is fully underwater next to a dirt wall, but can be collected by using Winged Pikmin via the invincible Pikmin glitch with any of the area’s fire hazards.
- Puckering Blinnow: These enemies usually remain underwater, but can be harmed if they jump out to snatch a Winged Pikmin or onto land.
- Sputtlefish: These enemies are also underwater enemies, and can only be defeated without Blue Pikmin by employing the invincible Pikmin glitch.
- Toady Bloyster: These enemies are always found underwater in Story Mode, but can be slowly taken out with a leader’s punches.
Blue Pikmin are recommended to collect these fruits or defeat these enemies, though these tasks can be done with other types.
- Cupid's Grenade (Tropical Wilds): The fruit is on a small island surrounded by water. It is possible to charge a Winged Pikmin towards the fruit, but it is easier to throw a Blue Pikmin onto it.
- Face Wrinkler (Distant Tundra): This fruit can be collected with Blue Pikmin or Winged Pikmin, and there is not much difference between the 2 in collecting this fruit.
- Juicy Gaggle (Twilight River, group of 3): It is possible to get the fruits with Winged Pikmin, but using Blue Pikmin will not require defeating the Arachnode.
- Mock Bottom: This fruit is intended to be carried with Blue Pikmin into a pool of water. It is possible to charge Winged Pikmin onto it, but this can be difficult.
- Searing Acidshock (Garden of Hope, inside the Bug-Eyed Crawmad): Blue Pikmin and Winged Pikmin are the only types capable of accessing this mini-boss on an island, and while it can be defeated with just Winged Pikmin, Blue Pikmin are better for combat.
- Slapstick Crescent: Only Blue Pikmin and Winged Pikmin can dig out and carry this fruit, and Blue Pikmin are faster at digging. Alternatively, a bomb rock can be used to unearth the fruit.
- Stellar Extrusion (Distant Tundra): The fruit is held by a Shaggy Long Legs which frequently steps over water. Rock Pikmin or Winged Pikmin are far more efficient and safe attackers, but having 10 Blue Pikmin on standby is recommended in case the fruit falls into the water after defeating the beast.
- Zest Bomb (Tropical Wilds): This fruit is held by a Peckish Aristocrab that normally walks in a pool of water. It is possible to defeat the enemy such that it drops the fruit over land, however.
- Bug-Eyed Crawmad: Both instances of this miniboss in Story mode appear near water, so Blue Pikmin are useful to avoid Pikmin deaths.
- Plasm Wraith: Some of this boss's Elemental Plasms are made of water, and these are the only elemental plasms that can only be destroyed with their intended Pikmin type. It is possible to ignore them though.
- Quaggled Mireclops: When it stomps its feet, it makes puddles of water. Using Blue Pikmin to attack the feet is recommended, as they cannot drown in the puddles of water.
- Skeeterskate: Skeeterskates can be killed by any Pikmin type, but non-Blue Pikmin will fall in the water and start to drown right after.
- Water Dumple: Although this underwater enemy can go onto land, the chances of this happening are quite low.
- Wogpole: Although this underwater enemy can jump onto land and become vulnerable, the chances of this happening are quite slim.
- Watery Blowhog: This enemy shoots bubbles of a water-like liquid that only Blue Pikmin are immune to, but can be defeated by any type of Pikmin.
In Hey! Pikmin
In Hey! Pikmin, Blue Pikmin are first found in Foaming Lake, in the second sector, Verdant Waterfront. Whilst Olimar is swimming in the lake a group of Blue Pikmin are chased into a pile of moss by a Puckering Blinnow. Upon whistling at them the Blue Pikmin join Olimar and are used for the majority of each water area from then on, breaking underwater walls and allowing him to progress. After the area is complete they join the Pikmin Park like any other Pikmin type.
Hey! Pikmin does not let players choose which types to bring to a task, and while many treasures require Blue Pikmin to collect, Blue Pikmin will always be present when this is the case.
In the Pikmin Park, plant-type clutter can only be destroyed by Blue Pikmin.
- Treasures in areas with Blue Pikmin only
- Giga Whistle
- Rocket Polish
- Berserker Brush
- Attitude Adjuster
- Unstrung Racket
- Work-Life Imbalancer
- Twisty Pick
- Conformity Enhancers
- Unexamined Nest
- Everyday Cell
- Giant Rodent Skull
- Inspiration Signal
- Quid Pro Quo-Yo
- Missed Connection
- Personal Odor Shield
- Nostalgic Buckler
- Menacing Crusher
- Beneficial Intelligence
- Treasures in areas with multiple Pikmin types
Note that indirect uses (using Blue Pikmin to access a later part of the area that contains a treasure that doesn't require Blue Pikmin) are not counted here.
- Almighty Ruiner: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Bond Impressor: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Scoot-Over Bench: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Fond-o-Sphere: Blue Pikmin are the only Pikmin the player has to defeat the Stuffed Bellbloom.
In Pikmin Bloom
In Pikmin Bloom, Blue Pikmin are the third Pikmin type unlocked, at level 4. Their seedlings require a minimum of 1 carrying strength to be retrieved, along with 1000 steps to grow. In expeditions, they have a carrying strength of 1 and have a time modifier of 1. In mushroom battles, they have a base attack power of 3 and are the only Pikmin that can battle Water Mushrooms.
In Pikmin 4
In Pikmin 4, Blue Pikmin can first be found hidden away in Sun-Speckled Terrace, however they can also be discovered for the first time in Blossoming Arcadia, with their Onion in Serene Shores. Once the Blue Onion is brought to the Master Onion for the first time, it will be absorbed and will fuse with the Onion, and spit out a single blue seed.
Due to one of Oatchi's skills allowing him to swim and dive in water, Blue Pikmin are not really required to collect all treasures or Castaways as well as defeat any enemies. Oatchi's Doggy Paddle ability at level 3 allows him to dive underwater to collect objects negating the use of Blue Pikmin. However, they are given as the starting Pikmin for certain Dandori Challenges which are near impossible to beat without the use of them.
Blue Pikmin are recommended to collect these treasures/castaways or defeat these enemies, though these tasks can be done with other Pikmin types.
- Astringent Clump (Doppelgänger's Den): The treasure is fully submerged in water near the center of sublevel 1 of the Doppelgänger's Den. It is guarded by two Skeeterskates.
- Astringent Clump (Secluded Courtyard): The treasure is hanging from a cobweb near the central north point of sublevel 3 of the Secluded Courtyard. There is a water geyser underneath it.
- Birdy Bed: It is located near a body of water on a ledge. 7 Blue Pikmin can be used to carry the treasure if they can drain the pool of water allowing all Pikmin types to carry back the treasure.
- Blonde Impostor (Cavern for a King, sublevel 19): Located in a body of water which Blue Pikmin can be used to carry it out.
- Bright Sword × 2 (Cavern for a King, sublevel 9): The two swords are found inside the Man-at-Legs. The arena for the fight is surrounded by water.
- Chance Totem × 2 (Serene Shores): The treasures are found inside some jars. To carry the treasures back, they need to go through a small body of water which is guarded by a Skeeterskate.
- Crew-Cut Gourd (Giant's Hearth): It is located half submerged in a pool of water near a Bug-Eyed Crawmad at the south part of the map.
- Cupid's Grenade × 3 (Cavern for a King, sublevel 19): The 3 treasures are all found in the large body of water.
- Dapper Blob (Seafloor Resort): The treasure is found in the small body of water near the Peckish Aristocrab.
- Dapper Rubber Cutie: Found on a ledge inside a hydro jelly surrounded by a body of water and two Pricklepuffs. Blue Pikmin can drain the body of water allowing any Pikmin type to carry it or they can just carry it from the start.
- Dawn Pustules (Serene Shores): Located submerged near the Zest Bomb treasure guarded by a Pricklepuff and 4 Puckering Blinnows.
- Don't-See-It Specs: The treasure is located inside the Sovereign Bulblax. The arena is surrounded by water.
- False Lollipop: It is located on a small island surrounded by water. You need 5 Pikmin to pull it from the fishing rope.
- Fish-Bed Snack (Giant's Hearth): Located in the Bug-Eyes Crawmad near the Crew-Cut Gourd. The enemy is in a body of water.
- Giant's Fossil: Located across the Clay bridge at the east of the map, where Blue Pikmin can carry it during high tide/first half of the day. Otherwise all Pikmin can carry it at low tide.
- Gold Nugget: (See Gold Nugget Locations)
- Greed-Inducement Device: Located inside the Masterhop, which the arena for the fight is surrounded by water. Additionally, the Masterhop's jumps will sink and submerge the ground once it lands.
- Heroic Sword × 2 (Cavern for a King): Like the Bright Swords, these 2 treasures are found in the Man-at-Legs with the arena being full of water.
- Ice Sword (Engulfed Castle): Found in a pool of water next to a Juicy Gaggle and a Pyroclasmic Slooch.
- Juicy Gaggle (Engulfed Castle): See above.
- Maestro of Flavor × 2: These two treasures are on the same island the False Lollipop is located. They are also guarded by 2 Fiery Blowhogs.
- Mama Doll Head: Located on a high ledge which is surrounded by water.
- Maternal Sculpture: The treasure is found hanging from a cobweb above a small platform surrounded by bodies of water.
- Mock Bottom (Serene Shores): It is found on a low ledge surrounded by a body of water as well as a Pricklepuff and 2 Skeeterskates.
- Monster Teeth: The path to carry this treasure back takes it through a body of water, as well as both members of the Onionshell family.
- Mystery Squish Fish (Serene Shores): The path to the treasure takes you through water, but the path to carry back the treasure doesn't.
- Mystery Squish Fish × 3 (Seafloor Resort): All 3 are found submerged underwater.
- Newtolite Shell: It is found submerged underwater and buried under a sand mound in the northeastern corner of the Serene Shores.
- Octoplus × 2 (Seafloor Resort): They are both found at the northwestern most wall of the sub level.
- Orb of Destruction (Serene Shores): Access to the treasure during high tide is blocked by water. It is accessible during low tide however.
- Planetary Rubber Cutie × 2 (Seafloor Resort): They are both being worn by Fiery Dweevils on a small island surrounded by water.
- Princess Pearl: Located inside of a Pearly Clamclamp and is surrounded by water during high tide.
- Ring-of-Return Shield: Located inside of a different Pearly Clamclamp and is surrounded by water during high tide.
- Seed Hive: It is inside of the Bug-Eyed Crawmad which is near the sprinkler which is spraying water. You can deactivate the sprinkler by building the Clay valve.
- Slapstick Crescent (Serene Shores): The treasure is found on a ledge at the easternmost lake of the overworld, a bit to the northeast of the lake's center. It is submerged during high tide and exposed during low tide, but is always surrounded by water.
- Spirit Sword × 3: They are all located underwater, hidden in the blades of grass.
- Stately Rubber Cutie × 2 (Serene Shores): They are completely submerged in the center of the area, to the east of the entrance to the sand castle. They become exposed when the tide is low.
- Sunseed Berry (Seafloor Resort): Found on a ledge which blocks non-Blue Pikmin from reaching due to the sprinkler.
- Trap Lid (Seafloor Resort): It is submerged in the corner of the sublevel.
- Trap Lid × 10 (Cavern for a King): They are all found inside of the Baldy Long Legs, which is walking over a body of water.
- Unfloatable Boat: Located half submerged in a body of water guarded by a Yellow Wollyhop.
- Universal Rubber Cutie (Giant's Hearth): Stuck in an Arachnode's web which is above a small body of water.
- Zest Bomb (Serene Shores): Located near the Dawn Pustules.
- Zest Bomb (Cavern for a King): Located in the pool of water alongside the 3 Cupid's Grenades and the Blond Impostor.
- Baldy Long Legs: One instance of this enemy appearing is in an area flooded with water.
- Bug-Eyed Crawmad: Just like Pikmin 3, both instances of this Miniboss in Story mode appear near water, so Blue Pikmin are useful to avoid Pikmin deaths.
- Hydro Dweevil: This enemy sprays a watery liquid to attack, which is lethal to most Pikmin types, minus Blue Pikmin.
- Man-at-Legs: This Arachnode appears once in a sublevel covered in water, which Pikmin can drown in except Blue Pikmin.
- Masterhop: This enemy can jump on sandy floors to create puddles of water. Using Blue Pikmin to attack is recommended as they won’t drown in those water puddles.
- Pearly Clamclamp: All instances of this enemy appear in close proximity to bodies of water.
- Pricklepuff: These enemies are underwater enemies so Blue Pikmin are recommended.
- Puckering Blinnow: These are also underwater enemies.
- Skeeterskate: These enemies can be killed by any Pikmin type, but non-Blue Pikmin will fall in the water and start to drown right after.
- Sovereign Bulblax: Just like the Masterhop, the Bulblax's jumps can create watery puddles.
- Watery Blowhog: This enemy sprays water at Pikmin which is lethal to all minus Blue Pikmin.
- Wolpole: This creature generally resides submerged but does jump up onto land for a bit.
Olimar's voyage log
“The accepted theory is that Pikmin evolved from terrestrial root vegetables, and so would unable to breathe underwater and subsequently drown. Yet the Blue Pikmin possess a gill resembling a mouth on their head, which enables them to be active underwater. While on land, they leaf and flower like other Pikmin species, and they breathe through the stomata on their skin, indicating they must be naturally amphibious.Pigment proteins on the surface of their body essentially perform the same photosynthetic process as cyanobacteria. for example, which is what gives them their striking color.”
Hey! Pikmin logs
Pikmin Bloom description
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Blue Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as kinds of Pikmin that Olimar can pull from the ground via Pikmin Pluck – his standard special move – as well as trophies. They are the only Pikmin that don't drown in water, and are more durable than other types of Pikmin (besides Purple Pikmin). They also throw opponents the farthest with Olimar's grab attack (a possible reference to their lifeguarding ability), but otherwise have below average attack power. They can withstand water moves like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. or Squirtle's water gun. In Brawl, Olimar is most likely to pull up a Blue Pikmin if he is on a water-based surface, such as a cloud or ice. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Blue Pikmin do not have higher health than other types, but keep their water immunity. Their attacks now have the water element, and they deal standard damage compared to the previous entries.
Blue Pikmin also have a sticker of them in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They have a trophy in all games that trophies appear in, although, in Super Smash Bros. Melee, they are part of the Pikmin trophy. They also have a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where their spirit battle consists of 10, weak and tiny Squirtles with water and ice resistance, as well as increased water attack power. They can also be obtained from the Spirit Board or by scanning the Pikmin amiibo. Equipping the spirit increases the distance and power of thrown items.
Smash 4 trophy
- Wii U
|Spirit info||Augmented Fighter info|
|Blue Pikmin||Shield||★★||1||Tiny Squirtle Team (×12)||Distant Planet||Main Theme - Pikmin (Original)||N/A||• The enemy's ice and water attacks have increased power
• Timed stamina battle
• Water and ice attacks aren't as effective against the enemy
|Pikmin technical information (?)|
|Attack strength||1× the norm|
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Running speed||120 leaf, 140 bud, 170 flower|
|Digging speed||1× the norm|
|Pikmin 3 technical information (?)|
|Digging speed||1× the norm|
|Pikmin 4 technical information (?)|
|Running speed||140 leaf, 170 bud, 200 flower, 220 spicy|
|Digging speed||≈1× the norm|
|Hey! Pikmin technical information (?)|
|Attack strength||1× the norm (exact value unknown)|
|Pikmin Bloom technical information (?)|
|Base attack strength||3|
|Expedition time modifier||1|
- See more: Pikmin family#Naming.
- Common name: Blue Pikmin.
- Japanese nickname: 青ピクミン?, lit.: "Blue Pikmin".
- Japanese name: ミズアオイピクミン?, lit.: "Water Blue Pikmin". ミズアオイ? is also the Japanese name of Monochoria korsakowii, a plant with blue flowers that lives near water.
- Scientific name: Pikminidae caerula. Caerula is Latin for "blue".
- Internal names: Unknown.
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Blauwe Pikmin||Blue Pikmin|
|French||Pikmin bleu||Blue Pikmin|
Blaue Pikmin (Pikmin 4)
|Italian||Pikmin blu||Blue Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin azul||Blue Pikmin|
|Portuguese||Pikmin azul||Blue Pikmin|
|Dark Blue Pikmin|
|Czech||Modrý Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Hey! Pikmin launch trailer|
|Danish||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Finnish||Sininen Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Blue Pikmin||Used in official media|
|Hungarian||Kék Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Norwegian||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Polish||Niebieski Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Swedish||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
A Blue Pikmin carrying a blue 1 pellet.
A Blue Pikmin e-card pack.
The Pikmin's e-card, #00 (1st blue card).
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin riding atop an Iridescent Flint Beetle.
The data file explaining Blue Pikmin's breathing underwater.
A Blue Pikmin constellation on the day selection screen.
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin holding a bomb rock.
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin on top of the Private Castle.
- YouTube video of the sound test in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- “Deep in the cave I discovered in the forest, I encountered blue Pikmin. These blue fellows have something resembling gills on their cheeks, and they appear to be amphibious, surviving both in water and on land. The wonders of nature never cease to stun me, even in this alien land!” – Olimar in the voyage log entry about Blue Pikmin
- “At last, you have encountered them! They seem to have gill-like ducts on their cheeks. They must be blue Pikmin! Like the other types, they look to you for direction. While they are indeed surviving naturally, they still seem to long for a valiant leader.” – The Hocotate ship in a dialog after Blue Pikmin are discovered
- “Careful observation of the Blue Pikmin has revealed that they have the ability to swim as well as attack in the water! The way they open their mouths is so cute, but I think that is their way of extracting oxygen from the water. There appear to be openings on their cheeks that resemble gills.” – Brittany in a voyage log entry about Blue Pikmin, in the US version of Pikmin 3
- “It is a Pikmin of yet another color. Near this one's cheeks is what appears to be a set of gills. This trait suggests to me that this blue type of Pikmin can enter the water without any trouble whatsoever. There's only one way to find out...” – Olimar in monolog after finding a Blue Pikmin
- “Unlike other Pikmin, Blue Pikmin have mouths. Did you notice that? / Those are gills, actually. Not mouths. / That's ridiculous! I saw those Blue Pikmin laughing underwater. / Right, well, they must have found it very funny that they were able to extract oxygen from the water.” – Alph, Brittany, and Charlie in a check-in conversation about Blue Pikmin, in the US version of Pikmin 3
- “Unlike other Pikmin, Blue Pikmin have mouths. Did you notice that? / Those are gills, actually. Not mouths. / What? They're not mouths? But I thought they were laughing. / Well, whatever you want to call them, those are the organs that allow them to breathe underwater.” – Alph, Brittany, and Charlie in a check-in conversation about Blue Pikmin, in the European version of Pikmin 3
- “This variety of Pikmin thrives in the water. I can't see gills on them, but they must be there. (Probably?) My suit ensures I can get by in the water too, but that's not true of the rest of the Pikmin, so I need to be careful.” – Olimar in the Pikmin Log entry for Blue Pikmin
- Video of Blue Pikmin throwing drowning Pikmin to the nearest waypoint, on dry land where the player has not gone yet on Twitch, published on September 15th, 2023, retrieved on September 23rd, 2023
- Twitch clip on Twitch, published on June 21st, 2019, retrieved on June 21st, 2019
- YouTube video showing the Positron Generator being recovered using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the #1 Ionium Jet using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how the Libra can be obtained using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to get Captain Olimar up to the Libra
- YouTube video of the Anti-Dioxin Filter being collected with Red Pikmin only, published on July 6th, 2018, retrieved on July 10th, 2018
- YouTube video showing how to collect the Interstellar Radio, Repair-type Bolt, and Massage Machine using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Chronos Reactor with Red Pikmin only
- YouTube video showing how to collect the #2 Ionium Jet using Red Pikmin only
- YouTube video with attempts to bring non-Blue Pikmin into the Submerged Castle
- YouTube video demonstrating how to retrieve treasures without Blue Pikmin
- YouTube video of Purple Pikmin destroying the clog in the Awakening Wood, published on April 25th, 2020, retrieved on April 28th, 2020
- YouTube video a Pikmin 3 Deluxe trailer by Nintendo Israel, published on October 7th, 2020, retrieved on June 1st, 2021
This article was a featured article from June 1st, 2021 to August 1st, 2021.
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin|
Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Ice Pikmin • Bulbmin • Glow Pikmin
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Idle • Maturity • Onion • Flarlic • Pellet|
Pikmin extinction • Trip • Sprout • Seedling • Soul • Squad
|Abilities||Carry • Dig • Dodge • Fight • Hide|
|Controls||Charge • Dismiss • Swarm • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Decor Pikmin • Leafling • Mushroom Pikmin • Pikpik carrot|