|Size||Body length: 33mm|
|Voice actor||Hajime Wakai|
Blue Pikmin (青ピクミン?) are a blue species of Pikmin that reside on PNF-404. They have the special ability of water resistance. This type of Pikmin is present in all game modes of all Pikmin games, and is the last type to be discovered in the Story mode of Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Pikmin 3. Besides their coloration, these Pikmin are distinguishable from other Pikmin species by their pink mouths, a trait seen in no other Pikmin species. These mouths are used to take in water, which filters oxygen through gills, giving them the ability to breathe both underwater and on dry land. Producing more Blue Pikmin can be done by carrying pellets or enemy carcasses to the Blue Onion (or the Master Onion), or by throwing other species into a Lapis Lazuli Candypop Bud. As with Red Pikmin, Yellow Pikmin and Bulbmin, their buds and flowers are white.
Traits and abilities
Only Blue Pikmin and Bulbmin can safely traverse watery areas, as any other type will simply flail around in panic before drowning. Winged Pikmin may move and carry objects above the surface of water bodies, but if thrown into water or if hit by droplets fired by enemies, such as the Skeeterskate, they will not be able to swim. While in water, the Blue Pikmin behave almost the same as they do on land. If they are idle and see a nearby Pikmin drowning in water, they will quickly run to them, pick them up, and throw them to shore. However, they will not rescue Pikmin if they are a certain distance away, so they can't always be relied on. At least in Pikmin 2, this throw works the same as a normal leader throw, which means it can be used for things like crushing a Dwarf Bulborb. In Pikmin 3, this rescuing feature was removed, and Blue Pikmin now also have the ability to swim freely while in pursuit, something necessary to reach some enemies that swim above the ground level.
Blue Pikmin seem to be the most balanced Pikmin species; they have average attack power, durability, mobility, digging speed and throw distance. Blue Pikmin have very little utility outside of water, as most enemies that pose water hazards can easily be defeated without Blue Pikmin. Interestingly, Blue Pikmin are more likely to die than other types in Pikmin 2, as noted here.
In Pikmin, Olimar finds the dormant Blue Onion in The Forest Navel, which proves to be a big help in the aquatic area, The Distant Spring. Their Onion is first found near the massive stump holding the Automatic Gear, and is located inside a small pond. Like with the red and yellow Onions, a seed pops out when the Onion wakes up, which Olimar then plucks. The Blue Pikmin's ability to live underwater is immediately demonstrated, since the Onion, the seed, and the new Pikmin appear underwater during this event.
There are glitches and exploits that make it so that Blue Pikmin are not required to collect any ship parts or defeat any enemies. There are two main ones: the object nudging glitch allows one to push ship parts out of the water, while the drowning reset glitch allows Pikmin to travel large bodies of water without drowning. Other minor exploits and glitches include ending the day to make a ship part appear on the closest carrying waypoint in the following day, which can place ship parts in unintended places, and the ability to place a lying Olimar between a treasure and a wall to make him pop up on top of the wall, and going out of bounds.
- Ship parts
- Positron Generator: The ship part is inside a Pearly Clamclamp on a beach, and defeating the enemy will drop the ship part in the water. But by using small islands on the beach, it is possible to attack the Pearly Clamclamp using Red or Yellow Pikmin, and the ship part can then be pushed out of the water with the object nudging glitch.
- Radiation Canopy: The path that Olimar needs to cross to reach this part is blocked by a gate inside a body of water. However, with precise throws, it's possible to throw bomb-rock Yellow Pikmin to the top of the gate, and destroy it without needing Blue Pikmin.
- Geiger Counter: In order to reach the Burrowing Snagret that holds the ship part, a cardboard box must be pushed out of the way, and Blue Pikmin need to be guided from a puddle to the backside of the box. However, it is possible to use other Pikmin to throw the box, either with long throws or by throwing them to the top of the box and guiding them to the back.
- Sagittarius: Two bridges must be built to reach the part, but one of them can only be reached by tossing Pikmin while in a large pond. Luckily, there is a small protrusion on the island that allows non-Blue Pikmin to shore on, and from there, they can be thrown at the bridge. To reach the bit of land, the Pikmin can just swim towards it from the mainland.
- Analog Computer: This ship part is submerged in water, although it can be taken out using the object nudging glitch.
- Number 1 Ionium Jet: This ship part is submerged in water. It can be pushed out with the object nudging glitch, but it is too resistant to the pushes to do so effectively. By luring a Male Sheargrub and using its corpse or a pellet, Olimar can push the pellet, which in turn pushes the ship part. By bringing it close to the bodies of water in the higher levels and ending the day, it is possible for the Ionium Jet to appear in the next body of water by the next day. Eventually, the ship part can be brought to land.
- Libra: Blue Pikmin are needed to activate the geyser that gives Olimar access to the first high ledge. However, it is possible to have other Pikmin types open the geyser; if they are guided towards it, they might land one or two hits before starting their drowning sequence. They can just be called back, and the process can be repeated until the geyser is enabled. Alternatively, one can use a pellet from a Shearwig to clip to the railing wall, and from there, walk up to the ship part and push it down.
- Anti-Dioxin Filter: The part is on a large pool of water, but with the object nudging glitch, it is possible to take it out without Blue Pikmin. Wollywog corpses can be used to help push the part, and a Breadbug dragging a Male Sheargrub corpse can be used to push the part mostly onto dry land.
- Interstellar Radio: The Puffy Blowhog containing this ship part is over water and the path to carry the ship part back to the ship goes through the large lake of water. By going out of bounds on the south using the Massage Machine, and attacking the Blowhog from dry land, and by nudging the ship part out of the water, it can be collected.
- Repair-type Bolt: This part is on top of a ledge. When it falls off, it will almost immediately land in the water. It can be nudged to dry land, however.
- Chronos Reactor: This part is located a long way across a pool of water. As part of the puzzle, the Blue Pikmin carrying this part must first become Yellow Pikmin. By using the Spotty Bulbear near the maze, Olimar can be pushed to the ledges out of bounds, and from there, lure a Swooping Snitchbug near where the Chronos Reactor is. Its corpse or pellets can be used to bring Olimar to the ship part's ledge, where it can then be pushed all the way out of the water section of the area and onto regular dry land.
- Number 2 Ionium Jet: This part is on top of a tall ledge that opens into water. By bringing Pikmin to the ship part's shore using the drowning reset glitch, it's possible to bring enough Pikmin to take the part out of the ledge. From there, it can be pushed to near the Pilot's Seat section, which will make it appear right next to the Pilot's Seat the next day. Since it takes too long to push normally, a Water Dumple corpse must be pushed instead, which in turn pushes the Ionium Jet.
- Gluon Drive: This part is opposite a wide river, and a bridge must be built from the other side. However, Pikmin can be tossed from the Zirconium Rotor's location.
- Zirconium Rotor: This part is behind a gate that is difficult to destroy without Blue Pikmin, but it can be done without them.
- Massage Machine: This part is across a large lake, with the bridge that must be built located on the opposite shore. However, by throwing Red Pikmin or Yellow Pikmin to the water and whistling them to the other shore, it is possible to have them build the bridge.
- Secret Safe: The island with the bridges is in the middle of the lake, meaning Blue Pikmin must traverse it to reach it. That said, it is not too hard to guide Red or Yellow Pikmin to the island, by whistling them to it while they're drowning.
- Goolix: Only Blue Pikmin can touch its body, but it's still possible to defeat the creature without them by throwing Pikmin when it stretches.
In Pikmin 2
In Pikmin 2, 5 Blue Pikmin are found in the Awakening Wood. This is first hinted at when the Onion stops spitting out seeds, but there are only a reported 95 out 100 Pikmin on the field. They are found chasing a few Wogpoles beyond an electric gate guarded by a Cloaking Burrow-nit at the north of the map. To obtain them, Olimar and Louie break down the gate with the Yellow Pikmin, and proceed to whistle them to take them under their command. Once again, their underwater prowesses are instantly noticeable, since they are found in a large lake.
Blue Pikmin are required to collect these treasures or enter these caves, and there are no glitches or exploits that allow other Pikmin types to do so.
- Valley of Repose, second half: to access the parts of the Valley of Repose not accessible on day 1 and 2, Blue Pikmin must be used to destroy a white bramble gate and a clog just past the Emergence Cave. This makes Blue Pikmin required to access the following caves and treasures:
Blue Pikmin are recommended for these treasures, caves, or enemies, though these tasks can be done without the type by using glitches or exploits.
- Air Brake: Only Blue Pikmin can use the seesaw blocks that are underwater. With long throws and/or the high ledge glitch, Yellow or Purple Pikmin can access the ledge the treasure is on and carry it back safely.
- Decorative Goo: The path to carry the treasure back to the ship goes through water, but by using a certain glitch, it's possible for treasures to be carried in water with non-Blue Pikmin during cutscenes. Another glitch called charging also helps minimize how long the treasure is underwater for, meaning the treasure can be carried through the water in the duration of just one cutscene.
- Onion Replica: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Optical Illustration (US) / Abstract Masterpiece (Europe): Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Massage Girdle: Same as the Decorative Goo.
- Wogpole: Although this aquatic enemy can jump onto land and become vulnerable, the chances of this happening are quite slim.
- The clog near the landing site of the Awakening Wood can be destroyed with any type of Pikmin by throwing them at a specific spot near the center of the clog. They will be able to damage it before slipping off and entering the water, which means they can slowly but surely destroy it.
- In order to access the southern part of the Wistful Wild, an underwater clog must be taken down. The only way to bring things back to the landing site is to build the bridge on the other side of a lake; provided the player has destroyed the clog, they can go around and build it with any Pikmin type, but if not, Blue Pikmin will have to cross the lake and build it.
In Pikmin 3
In Pikmin 3, the Blue Onion is found in the Garden of Hope, but can only be found after Louie has ran away from the Koppaites after being rescued in the Twilight River. The explorers chase after him, but instead find an Onion trapped under a Flukeweed. From this, the Blue Onion is found, and after it ejects a seed that is then plucked, the explorers discover the Blue Pikmin, which prove to be essential in finding Louie again. As with the previous games, the Blue Pikmin are instantly shown to be able to withstand being underwater, since the Onion, seed, and newly-plucked Pikmin are underwater.
Blue Pikmin are meant to be used to obtain numerous different fruits and defeat many enemies, but as a result of Pikmin 3's many glitches and exploits, they are only needed for one objective:
- Wayward Moon: A pot-shaped bridge with some of its fragments underwater must be built to access the boss that contains the fruit normally, but sequence-breaking techniques can be used to bypass the building of this bridge and collect the fruit with Winged Pikmin. However, an invisible wall will block off the path to the arena until at least one Blue Pikmin has been plucked. Once this Pikmin is plucked, the entire game can be completed without any further need of Blue Pikmin.
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Pikmin 3.
Blue Pikmin are intended to be used to collect these fruits and defeat these enemies, but through the use of glitches, exploits, or tricks, these tasks can be completed without them.
- Citrus Lump (Garden of Hope): The fruit is fully submerged in water next to the metal box, but can be retrieved by employing the invincible Pikmin glitch with a Fiery Blowhog.
- Citrus Lump (Twilight River): The fruit is fully submerged in water near the landing site. However, using the invincible Pikmin glitch with a Skeeterskate, it is possible to collect it with Winged Pikmin.
- Crunchy Deluge: Like the previous Citrus Lump, this fruit is located underwater at the far end of the Twilight River, and can be collected in the same way, though it notably takes 10 Pikmin to carry, the most out of any fruit that requires the invincible Pikmin glitch to retrieve without Blues.
- Portable Sunset (Distant Tundra): This fruit is on a low branch above a pool of water. Upon throwing 8 Pikmin on it, it will fall into the water. Winged Pikmin can also be used to detach the fruit, but it'll land in the water regardless. It can then be retrieved by using the invincible Pikmin glitch with a fire geyser, Fiery Blowhog, Pyroclasmic Slooch, or Skeeterskate.
- Scaly Custard (Garden of Hope): The fruit is within a Peckish Aristocrab on an area of land that can only be reached by building a pot-shaped bridge with some of its fragments underwater. However, using a sequence break, it is possible to bypass the building of this bridge and collect the fruit with Winged Pikmin.
- Searing Acidshock (Garden of Hope, inside the crystal): Normally, a bridge must be built using fragments, some of which are underwater, but it is possible to build half the bridge and throw Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin across the gap, allowing the crystal to be broken and the fruit to be carried back.
- Searing Acidshock (Tropical Wilds): The fruit is held by a Calcified Crushblat, and to access the enemy, an underwater dirt wall must be destroyed. This can be done with any type of Pikmin by using the invincible Pikmin glitch.
- Sunseed Berry (Garden of Hope, near the Blue Onion): This fruit is fully underwater next to a dirt wall, but can be collected by using Winged Pikmin via the invincible Pikmin glitch with any of the area’s fire hazards.
- Puckering Blinnow: These enemies usually remain underwater, but can briefly harmed if they jump out to snatch a Winged Pikmin.
- Sputtlefish: These enemies are also underwater enemies, and can only be defeated without Blue Pikmin by employing the invincible Pikmin glitch.
- Toady Bloyster: These enemies are always found underwater in Story Mode, but can be slowly taken out with a leader’s punches.
Blue Pikmin are recommended to collect these fruits or defeat these enemies, though these tasks can be done with other types.
- Cupid's Grenade (Tropical Wilds): The fruit is on a small island surrounded by water. It is possible to charge a Winged Pikmin towards the fruit, but it is easier to throw a Blue Pikmin onto it.
- Face Wrinkler (Distant Tundra): This fruit can be collected with Blue Pikmin or Winged Pikmin, and there is not much difference between the 2 in collecting this fruit.
- Juicy Gaggle (Twilight River, group of 3): It is possible to get the fruits with Winged Pikmin, but using Blue Pikmin will not require defeating the Arachnode.
- Mock Bottom: This fruit is intended to be carried with Blue Pikmin into a pool of water. It is possible to charge Winged Pikmin onto it, but this can be difficult.
- Searing Acidshock (Garden of Hope, inside the Bug-Eyed Crawmad): Blue Pikmin and Winged Pikmin are the only types capable of accessing this mini-boss on an island, and while it can be defeated with just Winged Pikmin, Blue Pikmin are better for combat.
- Slapstick Crescent: Only Blue Pikmin and Winged Pikmin can dig out and carry this fruit, and Blue Pikmin are faster at digging. Alternatively, a bomb rock can be used to unearth the fruit.
- Stellar Extrusion (Distant Tundra): The fruit is held by a Shaggy Long Legs which frequently steps over water. Rock Pikmin or Winged Pikmin are far more efficient and safe attackers, but having 10 Blue Pikmin on standby is recommended in case the fruit falls into the water after defeating the beast.
- Zest Bomb (Tropical Wilds): This fruit is held by a Peckish Aristocrab that normally walks in a pool of water. It is possible to defeat the enemy such that it drops the fruit over land, however.
- Bug-Eyed Crawmad: Both instances of this miniboss in Story mode appear near water, so Blue Pikmin are useful to avoid Pikmin deaths.
- Plasm Wraith: Some of this boss's Elemental Plasms are made of water, and these are the only elemental plasms that can only be destroyed with their intended Pikmin type. It is possible to ignore them though.
- Quaggled Mireclops: When it stomps its feet, it makes puddles of water. Using Blue Pikmin to attack the feet is recommended, as they cannot drown in the puddles of water.
- Skeeterskate: Skeeterskates can be killed by any Pikmin type, but non-Blue Pikmin will fall in the water and start to drown right after.
- Water Dumple: Although this underwater enemy can go onto land, the chances of this happening are quite low.
- Wogpole: Although this underwater enemy can jump onto land and become vulnerable, the chances of this happening are quite slim.
- Watery Blowhog: This enemy shoots bubbles of a water-like liquid that only Blue Pikmin are immune to, but can be defeated by any type of Pikmin.
In Hey! Pikmin
In Hey! Pikmin, Blue Pikmin are first found in Foaming Lake, in the second sector, Verdant Waterfront. Whilst Olimar is swimming in the lake a group of Blue Pikmin are chased into a pile of moss by a Puckering Blinnow. Upon whistling at them the Blue Pikmin join Olimar and are used for the majority of each water area from then on, breaking underwater walls and allowing him to progress. After the area is complete they join the Pikmin Park like any other Pikmin type.
Hey! Pikmin does not let players choose which types to bring to a task, and while many treasures require Blue Pikmin to collect, Blue Pikmin will always be present when this is the case.
In the Pikmin Park, plant-type clutter can only be destroyed by Blue Pikmin.
- Treasures in areas with Blue Pikmin only
- Giga Whistle
- Rocket Polish
- Berserker Brush
- Attitude Adjuster
- Unstrung Racket
- Work-Life Imbalancer
- Twisty Pick
- Conformity Enhancers
- Unexamined Nest
- Everyday Cell
- Giant Rodent Skull
- Inspiration Signal
- Quid Pro Quo-Yo
- Missed Connection
- Personal Odor Shield
- Nostalgic Buckler
- Menacing Crusher
- Beneficial Intelligence
- Treasures in areas with multiple Pikmin types
Note that indirect uses (using Blue Pikmin to access a later part of the area that contains a treasure that doesn't require Blue Pikmin) are not counted here.
- Almighty Ruiner: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Bond Impressor: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Scoot-Over Bench: This treasure is behind an underwater dirt block.
- Fond-o-Sphere: Blue Pikmin are the only Pikmin the player has to defeat the Stuffed Bellbloom.
In Pikmin Bloom
In Pikmin Bloom, Blue Pikmin are the third type obtained, and are unlocked at level 7. They have no special features, being a standard type that can carry 1 weight unit and deals 3 base damage in mushroom challenges. Their seedlings take the strength of 1 Pikmin to carry and 1000 steps to grow.
Olimar's voyage log
Hey! Pikmin logs
Pikmin Bloom description
In the Super Smash Bros. series
This article or section is a short summary on Pikmin as fighters.
Blue Pikmin appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as kinds of Pikmin that Olimar can pull from the ground via Pikmin Pluck – his standard special move – as well as trophies. They are the only Pikmin that don't drown in water, and are more durable than other types of Pikmin (besides Purple Pikmin). They also throw opponents the farthest with Olimar's grab attack. They can withstand water moves like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. or Squirtle's water gun. In Brawl, Olimar is most likely to pull up a Blue Pikmin if he is on a water-based surface, such as a cloud or ice.
Blue Pikmin also have a sticker of them in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Smash 4 trophy
- Wii U
|Pikmin technical information (?)|
|Attack strength||1× the norm|
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Running speed||120 leaf, 140 bud, 170 flower|
|Digging speed||1× the norm|
|Pikmin 3 technical information (?)|
|Digging speed||1× the norm|
|Hey! Pikmin technical information (?)|
|Attack strength||1× the norm (exact value unknown)|
|Pikmin Bloom technical information (?)|
|Base attack strength||3|
|Expedition time modifier||1|
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin riding atop an Iridescent Flint Beetle.
The data file explaining Blue Pikmin's breathing underwater.
A Blue Pikmin constellation on the day selection screen.
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin holding a bomb rock.
Artwork of a Blue Pikmin on top of the Private Castle.
The Pikmin's e-card, #00 (1st blue card).
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Blauwe Pikmin||Blue Pikmin|
|French||Pikmin bleu||Blue Pikmin|
|German||Blaues Pikmin||Blue Pikmin|
|Italian||Pikmin blu||Blue Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin azul||Blue Pikmin|
|Portuguese (NoE)||Pikmin azul||Blue Pikmin|
|Dark Blue Pikmin|
|Czech||Modrý Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Hey! Pikmin launch trailer|
|Danish||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Finnish||Sininen Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Blue Pikmin||Used in official media|
|Hungarian||Kék Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Norwegian||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Polish||Niebieski Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
|Swedish||Blå Pikmin||Blue Pikmin||Name taken from Nintendo's official website|
- YouTube video of the sound test in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (at 23:33)
- “Deep in the cave I discovered in the forest, I encountered blue Pikmin. These blue fellows have something resembling gills on their cheeks, and they appear to be amphibious, surviving both in water and on land. The wonders of nature never cease to stun me, even in this alien land!” – Olimar in the voyage log entry about Blue Pikmin
- “At last, you have encountered them! They seem to have gill-like ducts on their cheeks. They must be blue Pikmin! Like the other types, they look to you for direction. While they are indeed surviving naturally, they still seem to long for a valiant leader.” – The Hocotate ship in a dialog after Blue Pikmin are discovered
- “Careful observation of the Blue Pikmin has revealed that they have the ability to swim as well as attack in the water! The way they open their mouths is so cute, but I think that is their way of extracting oxygen from the water. There appear to be openings on their cheeks that resemble gills.” – Brittany in a voyage log entry about Blue Pikmin, in the US version of Pikmin 3
- “It is a Pikmin of yet another color. Near this one's cheeks is what appears to be a set of gills. This trait suggests to me that this blue type of Pikmin can enter the water without any trouble whatsoever. There's only one way to find out...” – Olimar in monolog after finding a Blue Pikmin
- “Unlike other Pikmin, Blue Pikmin have mouths. Did you notice that? / Those are gills, actually. Not mouths. / That's ridiculous! I saw those Blue Pikmin laughing underwater. / Right, well, they must have found it very funny that they were able to extract oxygen from the water.” – Alph, Brittany, and Charlie in a check-in conversation about Blue Pikmin, in the US version of Pikmin 3
- “Unlike other Pikmin, Blue Pikmin have mouths. Did you notice that? / Those are gills, actually. Not mouths. / What? They're not mouths? But I thought they were laughing. / Well, whatever you want to call them, those are the organs that allow them to breathe underwater.” – Alph, Brittany, and Charlie in a check-in conversation about Blue Pikmin, in the European version of Pikmin 3
- “This variety of Pikmin thrives in the water. I can't see gills on them, but they must be there. (Probably?) My suit ensures I can get by in the water too, but that's not true of the rest of the Pikmin, so I need to be careful.” – Olimar in the Pikmin Log entry for Blue Pikmin
- Twitch clip on Twitch, published on June 21st, 2019, retrieved on June 21st, 2019
- YouTube video showing the Positron Generator being recovered using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the #1 Ionium Jet using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how the Libra can be obtained using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to get Captain Olimar up to the Libra
- YouTube video of the Anti-Dioxin Filter being collected with Red Pikmin only, published on July 6th, 2018, retrieved on July 10th, 2018
- YouTube video showing how to collect the Interstellar Radio, Repair-type Bolt, and Massage Machine using only Red Pikmin
- YouTube video showing how to obtain the Chronos Reactor with Red Pikmin only
- YouTube video showing how to collect the #2 Ionium Jet using Red Pikmin only
- YouTube video with attempts to bring non-Blue Pikmin into the Submerged Castle
- YouTube video demonstrating how to retrieve treasures without Blue Pikmin
- YouTube video of Purple Pikmin destroying the clog in the Awakening Wood, published on April 25th, 2020, retrieved on April 28th, 2020
- YouTube video a Pikmin 3 Deluxe trailer by Nintendo Israel, published on October 7th, 2020, retrieved on June 1st, 2021
This article was a featured article from June 1st, 2021 to August 1st, 2021.
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin|
Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Bulbmin
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Idle • Maturity • Onion (Pellet, Enemy)|
Pikmin extinction • Trip • Seed • Seedling • Soul • Squad
|Abilities||Carry • Dig • Dodge • Fight • Hide|
|Controls||Charge • Dismiss • Swarm • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Decor Pikmin • Mushroom Pikmin • Pikpik carrot|