The Pikmin series is a video game series developed by Nintendo EAD that focuses on using Pikmin to perform various tasks. It currently consists of three games: Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and Pikmin 3. Pikmin and Pikmin 2 have counterparts in the New Play Control! range on Wii.
- Pikmin – Captain Olimar must gather thirty ship parts before his life-support system fails.
- Pikmin 2 – Olimar and Louie must gather treasures to repay Hocotate Freight's debt.
- Pikmin 3 – Alph, Brittany and Captain Charlie must gather fruits in order to solve Koppai's hunger problem.
- Hey! Pikmin – Olimar must collect Sparklium via treasures in order to power his ship.
- "Pikmin 4" – Upcoming title, with the only known info about it being the fact that its development was confirmed.
Three short movies have been made by Nintendo about the Pikmin series, but their canon is debatable. The Nintendo Land attraction called Pikmin Adventure is about the Pikmin franchise, but does not belong to the Pikmin canon.
- Captain Olimar – main character of the first two games, and original discoverer of the Pikmin.
- Louie – Olimar's partner during his voyage in Pikmin 2.
- The President – president of Hocotate Freight, the company Olimar works for, and alternate partner in Pikmin 2.
- Alph – one of the explorers in Pikmin 3, the ship's main engineer.
- Brittany – one of the explorers in Pikmin 3, a botanist.
- Captain Charlie – one of the explorers in Pikmin 3, the captain.
Reception and sales
All three games have been scored well by critics. Pikmin 2 scores generally higher than Pikmin (e.g. scores of 90 and 89 on review aggregator Metacritic, respectively). Pikmin 3 scores were closer to those of Pikmin 2. The total number of sales for the series is approximately 4.3 million as of September 2013.
In other games
Elements from the series also play parts in a number of other Nintendo games, most notably Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, in which Olimar is a playable character, as well as two Pikmin stages – Distant Planet and Garden of Hope. There are also multiple soundtracks and trophies.
Pikmin have made cameo appearances in games like WarioWare: Smooth Moves and the Nintendo DSi/3DS software transfer animation, while Pikmin-themed items have appeared in Nintendogs and the Animal Crossing series.