This article or section is about an upcoming or recently released game.
- For information on the game revealed on the 2016 Nintendo Direct, see Hey! Pikmin.
"Pikmin 4" is the tentative name for the next main game in the Pikmin series. Not much information is currently known about the project, other than it has been confirmed, and currently, it is "very close to completion". Nothing else is currently officially confirmed, not even the actual name, the console, or the release date.
Pikmin title possibility and potential
Smosh Games interview
On January 5th, 2015, Smosh Games uploaded an interview with Miyamoto, in which he confirmed that Pikmin 4 was being developed.
On September 7th, 2015, Eurogamer unveiled that, in an exclusive interview held in July of 2014, Shigeru Miyamoto once again confirmed the development of the game, and claimed that it was nearing completion. In the same article, Eurogamer also reveals that some Nintendo representatives also spoke to them, and said the following:
. It is not known if the "Pikmin 4" mentioned in that quote is the actual name for the game that Nintendo used, or if it is the result of the quote's English translation. The validity of the author of that quote is also not known, and it is possible that the name is only a placeholder.
Interestingly, the URL for the Eurogamer interview's page starts with "2014-07-20". Since the URLs of all news article pages on eurogamer.net begin with the article's publication date, this could possibly mean that the article was meant to be revealed shortly after the interview, but was held until September of 2015, presumably when Nintendo authorized the publication.
In an interview uploaded by YOGSCAST Kim, Takashi Tezuka states that
, hinting that the company's greatest focus for 2015 is Star Fox, and so, that Pikmin 4 might release at a later year.
On July 7th, 2016, Gamerant interviewed Miyamoto and asked him about the status of the game's development and why there haven't been any news in the past months. To this, he replies
In light of these news, along with the fact that Nintendo has begun allocating their resources towards their new gaming platform, the Nintendo Switch, it is now feasible that Pikmin 4's development has been moved from the Wii U to the Switch.
SoHo Apple Store event
During the December 2016 SoHo Apple Store event, Shigeru Miyamoto explained how Pikmin isn't as popular as he thinks it should be, and expressed how we wants to work harder on it, along with Star Fox:
Second Eurogamer interview
With the announcement of Hey! Pikmin for the Nintendo 3DS in September of 2016, it was unclear if the "Pikmin 4" Miyamoto previously mentioned was actually Hey! Pikmin all along, or a different project entirely. However, a second interview with Eurogamer was conducted at the E3 2017 showfloor, during which Miyamoto stated
- Miyamoto Hints That Pikmin 4 Could Be In Development on My Nintendo News, published on November 6th, 2014
- YouTube video of the interview with Smosh Games in which Shigeru Miyamoto reveals the development of Pikmin 4
- Pikmin 4 in development and "very close to completion" on Eurogamer, published on September 7th, 2015
- YouTube video of the interview with YOGSCAST Kim in which Takashi Tezuka hints at a post-2015 release for Pikmin 4 (at 11:55)
- Miyamoto Updates Fans On Status of Pikmin 4 on Gamerant
- Details from Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders on Nintendo Everything, published on June 28th, 2016
- Transition from Wii U to Nintendo NX Will Be Smooth: The Optimistic Nintendo on SegmentNext, published on June 25th, 2016
- Miyamoto Confirms Star Fox and Pikmin Will Continue on Gamer Splash!, published on December 11th, 2016
- Miyamoto: Pikmin 4 still "progressing" on Eurogamer, published on June 14th, 2017, retrieved on June 14th, 2017
|Pikmin series||Pikmin (NPC!) • Pikmin 2 (NPC!) • Pikmin 3 • Hey! Pikmin • Pikmin 4|
|Super Smash Bros. series||Brawl • for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U • Ultimate|
|Others||Adam and Eve • Pikmin Adventure (Nintendo Land) • Stage Debut|