Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|North American box art.|
|Players||1 to 8 (depends on the mode)|
|Japan||December 7th, 2018|
|North America||December 7th, 2018|
|Europe||December 7th, 2018|
|Australia||December 7th, 2018|
|Predecessor||Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U|
This article or section is a short summary on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
This article or section is about an upcoming or recently released game.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is an upcoming fighting game in the Super Smash Bros. series. Like all games in the franchise, it has fighters from several Nintendo franchises battle each other, and just like the previous entries, it features some Pikmin elements. The first Pikmin-related information about the game was revealed in the Nintendo Direct that took place on June 12th, 2018.
Known Pikmin information
Captain Olimar returns as a fighter. His moveset and appearance seem mostly identical to his Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U incarnation, meaning he can only have 3 Pikmin at a time, uses Winged Pikmin to recover, etc.
Some changes can be observed, however:
- When grabbing, Olimar issues all Pikmin to lunge forward and pin the opponent in place. Olimar himself can then deliver backhanded slaps to the opponent as a grab pummel.
- His Final Smash, End of Day seems the same, except Red Bulborbs cannot be seen at the bottom of the screen, only their chomping graphical effects.
- When Olimar is knocked back, his helmet can appear covered in cracks. The helmet returns to normal when the hitstun period is over, though. The helmet can also appear similarly cracked when he is Screen KO'd. This feature is only aesthetic.
As seen in Olimar's trailer, Alph also is also playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and given that there is no page for Alph as a fighter, it is likely he is simply one of Olimar's alternate costumes, like in the previous game.
The following Pikmin stages have been seen so far, whether in videos or screenshots:
- Distant Planet: The same stage that debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and returned in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. It looks like it has received a graphical update, since the Red Bulborb and Cloaking Burrow-nits that decorate the background are much more detailed and are now animated.
- Garden of Hope: The same stage that debuted in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, although it looks more detailed, particularly in the on-stage flower pot.
So far, the following Pikmin-themed songs are known.
|Forest of Hope||Original from Pikmin||Unknown||The theme that plays on The Forest of Hope. Plays the standard version first, and then the combat variant.|
|Fragment of Hope||Original from Hey! Pikmin||Unknown||The theme that plays in the third phase of the fight against the Berserk Leech Hydroe.|
|Garden of Hope||Remix created for Smash Ultimate||Unknown||Remix of Garden of Hope's theme and Bingo Battle's theme.|
|Main Theme||Original from Pikmin||Unknown||The theme that plays on the title screen in Pikmin.|
|Main Theme||Remix create for Smash Ultimate||Unknown||On September 12th, 2018, a part of a new track has been uploaded to the official website titled Main Theme. It is a remix of the title theme in Pikmin.|
|Stage Clear / Title (Pikmin)||Remix created for Brawl||Unknown||A remix with the sunset fanfare and the title screen in Pikmin.|
|The Keeper of the Lake||Original from Hey! Pikmin||Unknown||The theme that plays in The Keeper of the Lake.|
|World Map - Pikmin 2||Remix created for Brawl||Unknown||A remix of the theme that plays on the area selection menu in Pikmin and Pikmin 2.|
Some characters from the series show up as Spirits.
|Spirit info||Augmented Fighter info|
|Plasm Wraith||Neutral||☆☆☆ Ace||3||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Purple Pikmin||Shield||☆☆ Advanced||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Rock Pikmin||Grab||☆ Novice||1||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Red Bulborb||Shield||☆ Novice||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Fiery Blowhog||Attack||☆ Novice||1||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Spirit info||Augmented Fighter info|
|Winged Pikmin||☆ Novice||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Smoky Progg||☆☆ Advanced||Unknown||Mario||Distant Planet (Battlefield Form)||•Metal Shift||•The enemy will occasionally turn metal|
|Swooping Snitchbug||☆ Novice||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Emperor Bulblax||☆☆☆ Ace||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Brittany||Ace||Unknown||Alph||Garden of Hope (Battlefield Form)||Unknown||•Timed Battle •The enemy becomes more powerful after eating •Items will be pulled toward the enemy|
|Iridescent Glint Beetle||Unknown||Unknown||Gold Squirtle||Distant Planet||Unknown||•Timed Stamina Battle •The enemy tends to avoid conflict|
|Red Pikmin||Advanced||Unknown||Tiny Incineroar x12||Garden of Hope (Battlefield Form)||Unknown||•The floor is lava •The enemy's explosion and fire attacks have increased power •Stamina battle|
|White Pikmin||☆☆ Advanced||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
|Yellow Wollywog||☆☆ Advanced||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown||Unknown|
The Burrowing Snagret makes an appearance in this game as an Assist Trophy. When summoned, it will appear from the floor (even go-through platforms) near an opponent, and will idle for a second before unleashing three quick stabs towards the opponent. It can peck at the ground or the air. It will then bury back down and reemerge elsewhere, repeating the process. Like other Assist Trophies, it can be KO'd if it takes enough damage. It makes the Burrowing Snagret death sound from Pikmin when it emerges, and also when it is KO'd.
The Hocotate Bomb returns as an item, and acts and looks the same as before.
In World of Light, Captain Charlie's spirit can be found by going west, south, south, and south. When defeated, the caves become available to explore, and Captain Charlie is the one who takes the player's spirits on the expedition inside the cave.
The five types of Pikmin Olimar can once again pluck in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
The Burrowing Snagret Assist Trophy.
- The official website, put up right after the E3 Nintendo Direct, has a page for Olimar as a fighter, but his name started off misspelled as "Olimer", in the banner at the back of the page. This only happened in the desktop site, as the mobile site was fine. The problem was only fixed on June 19th, 2018.
- Captain Olimar's page on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate official website
- YouTube video of the E3 2018 Nintendo Direct (at 30:31)
- YouTube video of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate August 2018 Direct (at 09:15)
- YouTube video of gameplay in the Garden of Hope, with the new song playing
- Music on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Official Website
- YouTube video of the November 1st, 2018 Nintendo Direct (at 15:57)
- YouTube video of the November 1st, 2018 Nintendo Direct (at 15:08)
- Spirits on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch system
- YouTube video of the November 1st, 2018 Nintendo Direct (at 08:49)
- Official Smash Bros. Website misspelled Olimar's name on reddit, published on June 12th, 2018, retrieved on June 12th, 2018
|Pikmin series||Pikmin (NPC!) • Pikmin 2 (NPC!) • Pikmin 3 • Hey! Pikmin • Pikmin 4|
|Super Smash Bros. series||Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Others||Adam and Eve • Pikmin Adventure (Nintendo Land) • Stage Debut|