The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Hey! Pikmin.
Crushing is a non-elemental hazard in the Pikmin series. While soft-bodied Pikmin that get crushed die right away, Rock Pikmin can withstand the weight, although Winged Pikmin are also mostly immune to being crushed.
Pikmin have weak bodies that cannot resist most forms of crushing forces, except for Rock Pikmin. Once a Pikmin is crushed, it becomes flat in whatever direction it was crushed, then disappears with a soul, with no way to save it. However, Rock Pikmin merely become partially buried in the ground and unharmed, and must be left to unearth themselves automatically after some seconds. The time it takes for them to unearth does not depend on their maturity and is random between six and eleven seconds.
Leaders are not immune to crushing either. If a leader is crushed, they will become flat for a second, and slowly return to their original size. Being crushed normally causes considerable damage, and the prolonged damage animation may allow the leader to be hit by a different attack while they are unable to react.
Interestingly however, Winged Pikmin can't get crushed by anything but the Quaggled Mireclops and the crystal cubes from the Plasm Wraith: these attacks will just push Winged Pikmin away, even if they are grounded.
Pikmin standing below a lowered elevator platform or paper bag/tin box pushed off a ledge will not be crushed by it; instead they will just be pushed out of the way.
In Pikmin and Pikmin 2, crushing can be identified by the distinct sound Pikmin make when killed. In Pikmin 3, any attack that a Rock Pikmin can survive by becoming buried counts as a crushing attack.
Ways to get crushed
- Boulder – large rocks that fall from the sky, which can crush Pikmin.
- Iron ball – iron balls roll down slopes, and can crush things in their path.
- Iron block – these large blocks can crush Pikmin, enemies, and obstacles.
- Liftable rock – if these blocks stop being lifted, they fall and can crush Pikmin.
- Arachnorbs – members of this spider-like family that have large feet can stamp on Pikmin and leaders.
- Lithopods – lithopods can spit out rocks that crush everything in their path.
- Amphitubers – these frog-like enemies jump into the air and later fall down, crushing prey below them.
- Calcified Crushblat – an enemy that can jump up and crush Pikmin with its large body.
- Emperor Bulblax – the Emperor Bulblax's jumping attack can crush Pikmin below it.
- Empress Bulblax – the Empress Bulblax's main attack involves rolling around the arena, crushing prey.
- Segmented Crawbster – a boss with a rolling attack that can crush Pikmin.
- Skutterchuck – the crystal nodules that they fling damage Pikmin via crushing.
- Waterwraith – the Waterwraith travels around on rollers, which can crush creatures.
- Plasm Wraith – the final boss in Pikmin 3 can spit out Elemental Plasms that shape into crystal blocks, capable of crushing Pikmin.
Although the Mamuta crushes Pikmin into the ground with its hands, this does not count as a crushing hazard, as this is actually beneficial to the Pikmin. It's still harmful to leaders, however. In addition, the Quaggled Mireclops has some attacks that trample Pikmin, killing them in the process, but this is a fatal attack that Rock Pikmin are not immune to.
- Main article: Rock Pikmin.
The rough exterior of Rock Pikmin gives them the ability to survive crushing attacks, making them quite valuable when fighting enemies that pose a crushing hazard. However, Rock Pikmin won't completely ignore crushing attacks like other Pikmin types ignore attacks of the hazard they are invulnerable to: they become temporarily and partially buried.
- Main articles: Crushing glitch in Pikmin and Crushing glitch in Pikmin 2.
There is a glitch in the first two Pikmin games where an enemy or a certain object will crush a Pikmin abnormally, when it isn't even meant to crush in the first place. Very rarely, an object on top of a Pikmin will make said Pikmin vanish.
Yellow Wollywog corpse crushing
As seen in a trailer for Pikmin, it appears that in a development version of the game, Yellow Wollywogs could crush Captain Olimar's army during their death animation, where they tense up and fall to the side. In the final game, this does not happen, except unintentionally, with the aforementioned glitch.
This article or section is in need of more images. Particularly:
Names in other languages