|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Oculus matriarcha|
|Caves||Frontier Cavern, Hole of Beasts, Hole of Heroes|
|Challenge Mode levels||Emperor's Realm|
|2-Player Battle levels||None|
|Attacks||Crushes Pikmin, causes boulders to fall, births larvae|
The Empress Bulblax (クイーンチャッピー?, lit.: "Queen Chappy") is a boss in Pikmin 2. Its markings and general features are similar to those of the Red Bulborb, but its body is much larger and composed of five distinct segments; its comparatively tiny legs dangle above the ground. In the Piklopedia, this creature sleeps and cannot be woken up.
The Empress Bulblax makes a few appearances in the game: it is located on the last sublevel (5) of Hole of Beasts, sublevel 8 of Frontier Cavern, sublevel 11 of Hole of Heroes, and sublevel 4 of Emperor's Realm in Challenge Mode.
|20||30||30[note 1]||× 15||5000[note 2]||1.5[note 3]|
- This enemy cannot be delivered to Onions in-game. This information is obtained from the game files.
- In the Hole of Beasts, this enemy has 3300 HP instead.
- In the Hole of Beasts, this enemy regenerates 1 HP per second instead.
To defeat this enemy, throw (preferably Purple) Pikmin onto its face and call them back before it throws them off. After shaking Pikmin off, the boss rolls from side to side across the chamber in an attempt to crush its aggressors, smashing into walls, and making rocks fall from the ceiling in most encounters in the game. Although risky, the Bulblax can be petrified if the spray is released on the middle of its elongated torso.
The Empress Bulblax is one of the few bosses that can vary depending on where the player encounters it: for the Hole of Beasts fight, it is easier to throw the Pikmin on the Empress Bulblax's side to the left and retreat to the alcove in the wall between attacks. Here, it is also effective to swarm the body from the left at the start of the battle, before the boss wakes up. Doing this will deal heavy damage if many Pikmin manage to latch onto the Empress.
This is not as effective in the later two battles, as the Pikmin have less time to attack the enemy before she shakes the Pikmin off, and they have the Empress continuously giving birth to Bulborb Larvae. These are easily defeated by their own mother's rolling; alternatively, in the Frontier Cavern, since the number that can exist is finite, they can be lured away from the Empress with one leader while the other fights the boss, resulting in a fight that is about as easy as in the Hole of Beasts. For the Hole of Heroes fight, the player starts off behind the Empress, and she can make boulders fall after hitting the walls; these are most easily avoided by moving behind the exit hole, itself behind a gate. All rules apply here the same as the Frontier Cavern fight, but trapping the larvae is nearly impossible, and requires a decoy leader who is in good condition.
When defeated, four of the Empress Bulblax's front body segments explode, leaving only the segment attached to the head, which can be returned to the Research Pod and cashed in for 15 pokos.
During the fights with the Bulborb Larvae, it is suggested that a leader should distract the larvae, preferably at full health and with the Metal Suit Z obtained, as the larvae can deal a lot of damage otherwise.
In other games
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Empress Bulblax appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Global properties (List)|
|s001||wallReflection||Unknown (wall bounce speed multiplier?)||0.5|
|s004||bounceFactor||Unknown (bounce when it hits the ground?)||0.3|
|fp01||マップとの当り||Unknown (related to slopes)||90|
|fp02||ダメージスケールXZ||Horizontal damage scale||0|
|fp03||ダメージスケールY||Vertical damage scale||0.05|
|fp04||ダメージフレーム||Damage scale duration||0.35|
|fp14||探索距離||Unknown (exploration radius?)||50|
|fp15||探索角度||Unknown (exploration angle?)||120|
|fp16||振り払い率||Unknown (shake rate?)||1|
|fp20||攻撃可能範囲||Unknown (shock attack max range?)||150|
|fp21||攻撃可能角度||Unknown (shock attack max angle?)||25|
|fp22||攻撃ヒット範囲||Unknown (attack hit range?)||150|
|fp23||攻撃ヒット角度||Unknown (attack hit angle?)||25|
|fp25||視界高||Unknown (height visibility?)||50|
|fp26||探索高||Unknown (exploration height?)||50|
|fp27||ライフの高さ||HP wheel height||50|
|fp29||警戒時間||Unknown (warning time?)||15|
|fp34||ピクミンとのあたり||Pikmin damage radius||50|
|fp36||ヒップドロップダメージ||Purple Pikmin drop damage||50|
|fp37||地震気絶確立||Purple Pikmin stun chance||0 (0%)|
|fp38||地震気絶時間||Purple Pikmin stun time||10|
|fp01||ローリング時間||Unknown (rolling time?)||3.5|
|fp02||出産間隔 ( sec )||Birth interval||2|
|fp||Forest 1 Life||HP on the Hole of Beasts||3300|
|fp||出産数 ( Max )||Max births until it falls asleep||50|
|fp||出産数 ( Min )||Min number of Larvae on the cave with which it will wake up again||25|
- Size: Body length: 480mm, as per the e-card
- Piklopedia number: #70
- Musical theme: Common boss battle
The Empress Bulblax is the female counterpart to the Emperor Bulblax, and is indeed a large Bulborb. Its Japanese name is クイーンチャッピー?, which means "Queen Chappy". Its scientific name is Oculus matriarcha, with Oculus being used in the scientific name for all Bulborbs, and matriarcha being similar to the English word "matriarch", which is the female leader of a community. In the unused early English script inside the game's files, the species name is misspelled as matriarhca. Its internal name is simply
Names in other languages
|French||Reine Bulblax||Bulblax Queen|
|German||Fürstin Knollenauge||Lady Bulb-Eye|
The boss asleep, in the Piklopedia.
The Empress Bulblax being awakened in an earlier version of the game.
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays the Japanese version of Pikmin 2.
- The Empress Bulblax may shed its skin; on the last sublevel of the Hole of Beasts, right underneath the Research Pod, there appears to be an Empress Bulblax skin on the floor.
- It is impossible to wake up the Empress Bulblax in the Piklopedia, no matter how many Pikpik carrots are thrown at it. The only other enemies who will not attack in the Piklopedia are the Titan Dweevil and the Segmented Crawbster.
- The Empress Bulblax is the only member of the Grub-dog family that does not kill Pikmin by eating them.
- The creature resembles a real-life pregnant queen termite.
- The Empress Bulblax gives live birth to its larval-form offspring. This is not only unique to the Pikmin franchise, but also to Earth lifeforms.
- The Empress Bulblax's scientific name, Oculus matriarcha, indicates that it does not belong to the same genus as its descendants, the Bulborb Larvae (bambinii). How this difference between parent and offspring genus is possible is unknown.
- An unused prototype script for Louie's notes on the Empress Bulblax is consisted of using its ovaries instead of its liver. It was changed in the final product for obvious reasons.
- It does however, seem to be the recipe for the Japanese Version.