5 day run
A 5 day run is where a player completes Pikmin 2 in 5 days by collecting all 201 treasures. This is achieved by using various exploits and glitches to unlock most Pikmin types earlier than intended, and completing the Awakening Wood, Perplexing Pool, and Wistful Wild in a single day each.
A 5 day run is probably impossible on the New Play Control! version of Pikmin 2. Because the Blue Pikmin don't respond to the leader's whistle on day 2, getting Blue Pikmin early is a lot more time consuming, and since the player starts the day with few Pikmin, there's not enough time in the day to do all the required tasks.
The following article or section contains guides.
The following is a brief outline of a 5 day run. The order of some days can be moved around – for example, after the Awakening Wood, the player can either finish the Valley of Repose or tackle the Perplexing Pool. What matters is that the debt is repaid at the end of the third day.
Before the run can even start properly, some glitches must be performed. Start a new file and perform the day 1 extinction glitch to end the first day. Do not save the game. On day 2, use the Pikmin to kill the Dwarf Red Bulborb at the landing site, and while the enemy's soul is in the air, open the pause menu and end the day. Doing this will set up a glitch called cutscene timer storage, which is essential for the actual day 1. At the end of the day, select "Start over from last save" to start the game from day 1 again.
- When the cutscene for it activates, switch to Louie and grow Red Pikmin.
- Weigh down the paper bag without defeating the Dwarf Red Bulborb.
- Throw the Pikmin on top of the ledge near the ship, and use the Dwarf Red Bulborb to push a leader to the top of the ledge. This trick is incredibly precise and will likely take thousands of attempts.
- Enter the Emergence Cave and convert all your Red Pikmin to Purple Pikmin.
- Use the Purple Pikmin to open the path back to the cave.
- Go through the cave multiple times, converting your last Red Pikmin to a Purple Pikmin each time, in order to increase Pikmin numbers through Pikmin extinctions. Collect the cave's treasures and the Spherical Atlas on the same cave entry as a Pikmin extinction to stop the day from ending when you exit the cave.
- Increase Pikmin numbers as high as possible, then end the day by collecting the Courage Reactor.
- Complete the Hole of Beasts and White Flower Garden.
- Find the White Pikmin.
- Collect the Geographic Projection.
- Complete the remaining caves and get all remaining overground treasures.
- Use the seesaw block glitch to find and raise Blue Pikmin. Then, use the carrying charge glitch to carry the Decorative Goo over the gate.
Note: All overground treasures must be collected before completing the final caves so that you can clear out the area before the day ends. This is because the debt clearing cutscene (which can only happen while above-ground) instantly ends the day.
- Find the Yellow Pikmin.
- Collect all overground treasures.
- Complete all caves.
- Collect all overground treasures.
- Complete all caves.
To do: Add details about the New Play Control! version.
The first few recorded low day runs collect all treasures in 8 days. These runs have few major glitches, and simply go through all eight milestones in the order intended by the developers:
- The mandatory Valley of Repose tutorial. All players must do this on day 1.
- Purple Pikmin are obtained in the Valley of Repose, and used to unlock the Awakening Wood. Runners do this on day 2.
- White Pikmin are discovered in the Awakening Wood, and used to unlock the Perplexing Pool. Runners do this on day 3, as well as clear most parts of the area.
- Yellow Pikmin are obtained in the Perplexing Pool. Runners take one day to do this and clear dry parts of the area.
- Blue Pikmin are unlocked in the Awakening Wood with the help of Yellow Pikmin. Runners take one day to do this and collect all remaining treasure in the area.
- The parts of the Perplexing Pool that require Blue Pikmin are conquered. Runners take one day to do this.
- The Valley of Repose needs to be returned to and completed. Runners take one day to do this.
- The Wistful Wild needs to be completed. Runners take one day to do this.
Though smaller glitches and tricks were found in the meantime, the lowest number of days required to collect all treasures was kept at 8 for several years.
On June 30th, 2012, "Claris" discovered the seesaw block glitch (then called the "scale glitch"), which allowed for Blue Pikmin to be unlocked in the first visit to the Awakening Wood. This removed one day from the total, since players can use the Blue Pikmin to complete the Perplexing Pool in a single day. It was still necessary to return to the Awakening Wood in a different day, since one needed to use Yellow Pikmin to open up the electric gate and retrieve the Decorative Goo.
On July 2nd, 2012, the first 7 day run was completed, also by "Claris".
On March 24th, 2018, "muratsubo" discovered a glitch that allows Pikmin to carry an object at much faster speeds than normal. Over the next days, speedrunners attempted to find time-saving uses for the glitch, and the idea of using it to get the Decorative Goo over the gate was instantly brought up. Several experiments were made to get it to work. Eventually, it was proven to be possible to bring the Decorative Goo outside of the Blue Pikmin den without needing Yellow Pikmin, provided the treasure is "charged" with enough speed or luck.
On April 2nd, 2018, "HSS0136" used that same glitch and completed the entirety of the area in the same day. This knocked the day total from seven to six.
At this point, all areas took a single day to complete, except the Valley of Repose which took 3. Efforts shifted towards finding a way to access the Emergence Cave on day 1, as that would allow unlocking Purple Pikmin to collect the Spherical Atlas to unlock the Awakening Wood early. In January 2021, "HSS0136" discovered that by using the Cutscene Timer Storage glitch, the player could switch to Louie on day 1 before defeating the Dwarf Red Bulborb in the landing site, and then "依代 九朔_Vtuber" found that it was possible to use that same Dwarf Red Bulborb to clip up a ledge, allowing the Emergence Cave to be accessed on day 1. This made it possible to complete the game in 5 days. Using the new strategy, "TRR" completed a tool-assisted demonstration of the route on February 2nd, 2021, but the extreme difficulty of the clip up the ledge made the run difficult to do perform in real time. On March 4th, 2021, "HSS0136" became the first person to complete a full 5-day run, combining it with a low Pikmin count of 102, and with no Yellow Pikmin.
- Day 2 of a 6-day completion playthrough. Trivial segments are omitted (such as day 1 and caves), and the rest of the days can be found in the video descriptions.
- YouTube video demonstrating some glitches and tricks on how to perform a 7 day run on New Play Control! Pikmin 2
- A low day run of Pikmin 2 in 8 days on archive.org, published on November 18th, 2004, retrieved on March 21st, 2018
- YouTube video of the scales glitch being used to obtain Blue Pikmin
- YouTube video of the first 7 day run
- Twitter video showing Pikmin carrying objects quickly on Twitter, published on March 24th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- Twitter video explaining how to perform the carrying charge glitch on Twitter, published on March 24th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- Video by Mokaygee, showing the "charged" Pikmin vibrating at high speeds while trying to carry the Decorative Goo on Discord, published on March 24th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- Video by Mokaygee, showing the carrier Pikmin rubbing against the gate, without getting electrocuted on , published on March 24th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- YouTube video showing how Pikmin carrying the Decorative Goo can jolt around when a carrier is added or removed, published on March 24th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- YouTube video of the Pikmin carrying the Decorative Goo outside of the Blue Pikmin den, published on March 25th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- Video showing how 17 charges are enough, in a TAS on Nicovideo, published on March 27th, 2018, retrieved on May 21st, 2018
- YouTube video of the Awakening Wood being completed in a single day
- YouTube video demonstrating clipping up a ledge with a Dwarf Red Bulborb (at 1:31:23), published on January 31st, 2021, retrieved on March 1st, 2021
- YouTube video demonstrating day 1 of a 5 day run, published on February 2nd, 2021, retrieved on March 1st, 2021
- YouTube video of the first complete 5 day run, published on March 4th, 2021, retrieved on March 4th, 2021
This article was a featured article from April 18th to May 13th, 2008.