This article or section is about an upcoming or recently released game.
|Scientific name||Pikminidae habiglacius|
|Attack strength||Below average(?)|
The following article or section is in need of assistance from someone who plays Pikmin 4.
Ice Pikmin are a type of Pikmin found in Pikmin 4. Their most defining characteristics are their cyan, blocky bodies, seemingly made of ice chunks, their complete immunity to all types of freezing, and their ability to freeze enemies and bodies of water solid. However, they have noticeably lower attack power in battle and additionally burn to death faster when lit aflame by enemies or hazards, lasting roughly 4 seconds instead of 6. They leave small snow and water vapor particles around them as they move, and their buds and flowers are yellow.
Traits and abilities
- See more: Ice.
Ice Pikmin do not do very much damage in combat. However, when attacking enemies, or when eaten by them, Ice Pikmin will progressively freeze them, as represented by a ring-shaped gauge around the enemy's health wheel. Once the gauge is full, the enemy freezes entirely and can no longer act, though they do take reduced damage while frozen. Defeating a frozen enemy will make it shatter into chunks of ice without leaving a corpse, instead producing drops of nectar or ultra-spicy spray. Enemies that are frozen in midair will fall to the floor and shatter immediately. If not defeated after 6 seconds, a frozen enemy will begin shaking and eventually break out of the ice, knocking any attached Pikmin to the ground. This freezing ability is highly similar to the ultra-bitter spray in Pikmin 2, though involving ice instead of stone, and not being instantaneous or able to hit multiple targets at once.
Ice Pikmin can also be thrown into bodies of water or puddles of mud, making them the third type after Blue Pikmin and Bulbmin to be able to physically interact with water without suffering any harm; however, they lack the gills that Blue Pikmin possess and are only able to float in the water, meaning they can neither breathe under nor swim/explore the water as Blue Pikmin can. They are also susceptible to water-based attacks or other water hazards such as sprinklers.
If enough Ice Pikmin are thrown into a given body of water or mud, they will freeze it solid, allowing safe passage for other Pikmin types on the frozen surface. The water/mud will stay frozen for as long as the required number of Ice Pikmin stay rooted within. When there are no longer enough Ice Pikmin to keep it frozen, the water/mud will thaw out after a few seconds. How many Ice Pikmin are required to freeze a given body of water/mud can vary, mainly based on the size of the body in question, anywhere from 5 to 100.
In addition, Ice Pikmin can resist icy hazards and attacks, and may grapple cold enemies without being frozen solid. They may also persist in cold environments without any help from the captain or Oatchi.
Ice Pikmin that get trapped in bubbles will freeze the bubble and then quickly pop it.
Ice Pikmin are typically first discovered in the Last-Frost Cavern, where they are seen fighting a Snowy Blowhog that shoots ice. In their introduction cutscene, they spin around and slide on their lower bodies, meaning they are at least slightly slippery. Their Onion is not found until Hero's Hideaway.
“With the frigid air welling up endlessly from inside their icy bodies, they can freeze anything at all! If you throw enough of them in a pond, they'll freeze the surface so solidly that you can walk right across it! They're just like little ice wizards!”
“Pikmin supposedly evolved from plants, yet there are also Pikmin species with bodies made of ice, known as ice Pikmin. How is this possible? The answer to this question lies in the fact that Ice Pikmin are parasitic by nature, and the ice serves as their host. The composition of this type of ice is, predictably, mostly water, but it resembles saline solution with faint concentrations of trace sodium ions, potassium ions, and calcium ions that function as neural transmitters. Interestingly, the ice exhibits no visual signs of melting or dripping when exposed to sunlight. This is due to its low-temperature core, which continuously creates more ice in order to maintain a consistent size.”
|Pikmin 4 technical information (?)|
|Running speed||140 leaf, 170 bud, 200 flower, 220 spicy|
|Digging speed||≈1× the norm|
- See more: Pikmin family#Naming.
- Common name: Ice Pikmin.
- Japanese nickname: 氷ピクミン?, lit.: "Ice Pikmin".
- Japanese name: コオリヤドリピクミン?, lit.: "Ice-Dwelling Pikmin".
- Scientific name: Pikminidae habiglacius. Habiglacius is a combination of habitāre and glacius. Habitare is Latin for "to inhabit", while glacius is similar to glaciēs, meaning "ice".
- Internal names: Unknown.
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
|French||Pikmin glace||Ice Pikmin|
|Italian||Pikmin gelato||Ice Pikmin|
|Spanish||Pikmin gélido||Icy Pikmin|
|Portuguese||Pikmin gelo||Ice Pikmin|
- Ice Pikmin are the first type of Pikmin since the introduction of White Pikmin to be immune to an elemental hazard, and the first type with the ability to alter the environment.
- White Pikmin and Ice Pikmin are the only types of Pikmin to use their specific resistant elements in combat, with White Pikmin poisoning enemies when eaten and Ice Pikmin freezing them after a certain amount of hits or being eaten as well.
- Similar to Rock Pikmin, Ice Pikmin are referred to as parasitic. It is implied that they both belong to the same subset of Pikmin, known as "Hermikmin", which store their organs inside blocky, solid surfaces. However, it would be inaccurate to label either of them as parasites, as they simply use an inanimate object as a vessel—similar to their subset's namesake, the hermit crab—and do not rely on other organisms.
- Not counting the Pikmin in Pikmin Bloom, Ice Pikmin are the first Pikmin whose flower color does not match the possible colors of Chaenostoma cordatum (white, lavender, or violet).
- This type of Pikmin is the most recommended for overworld areas in the Pikmin 4. They are recommended in all but Giant's Hearth, for a total of 5 of the game's 6 areas.
|Types||Red Pikmin • Yellow Pikmin • Blue Pikmin • Purple Pikmin • White Pikmin|
Rock Pikmin • Winged Pikmin • Ice Pikmin • Bulbmin • Glow Pikmin
|Biology||Candypop Bud • Idle • Maturity • Onion • Flarlic • Pellet|
Pikmin extinction • Trip • Sprout • Seedling • Soul • Squad
|Abilities||Carry • Dig • Dodge • Fight • Hide|
|Controls||Charge • Dismiss • Swarm • Pluck • Throw • Whistle|
|Other||Decor Pikmin • Leafling • Mushroom Pikmin • Pikpik carrot|