- For fruits in Pikmin Bloom, see Fruit (Pikmin Bloom).
Fruits are the main collectible item in Pikmin 3. There are 66 fruits scattered around 4 of the 5 areas of the game, and collecting them is necessary to complete the game. They are the reason for Alph, Brittany, and Charlie's journey to PNF-404, as the collection of seeds from fruits is necessary to solve the worldwide hunger crisis on their home planet of Koppai.
Fruits are found in specific locations of specific areas, usually accompanied by some sort of challenge which must be completed to access them. Some fruits are split into parts, where all parts must be recovered before the fruit is recognized as collected. On top of working towards the goal of kick-starting cultivation on Koppai, the fruits are directly useful to the explorers, as they provide bottles of juice, one of which is consumed every day. If the player runs out of juice, the game is over.
In total, there are 66 fruits, belonging to 30 different types, with some of them having appeared as treasures in Pikmin 2, and all fruits later reappear as treasures in Pikmin 4, bearing the same name. There is a grand total of 98 days' worth of juice, including the three bottles the explorers keep at the start as provisions. Day 99 can be played, but the Koppaites will have no juice at the end, causing a game over. In the Ultra-Spicy difficulty in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, there is only 49 bottles worth of juice, as the amount of juice provided from each fruit is halved. Interestingly, by highlighting day 1 on the day selection menu, it'll show that at the start of that day, the explorers had 7 bottles of juice. Given that at the end of the day, there are only three bottles on the inventory, this means that when the Drake crash-landed, four of the provisions got lost.
In addition, special golden variants of some fruits can be found in the Mission Mode, Bingo Battle, and Side Stories of Pikmin 3 or Dandori Battles of Pikmin 4. They are collected for Pokos or points instead of juice, and are worth several times the amount of their non-golden counterparts.
- Pikmin 3
- Golden Grenade: a golden Cupid's Grenade, often several are found in groups or dropped by enemies.
- Golden Sunseed: a golden Sunseed Berry, more valuable but less common than Golden Grenades.
- Pikmin 4
- Golden Sniffer: a golden Tremendous Sniffer, only spawns once per match and often in places that Oatchi and Moss cannot reach.
The collection of fruits serves more than just completing the overall goal: fruit collected is juiced at the end of the day to provide rations for the explorers. The juice is stored in bottles, and a bottle is only closed and made available if it's filled to the top. If needed, the leaders will mix juice from different fruits to fill up a bottle. After all of the fruits of the day have been juiced, the crew gets the oldest bottle and consumes it, regardless of how many people there are to feed with it. As such, the amount of juice the player has will determine the number of days left they can explore. If a day ends and there are no more bottles of juice, the player is taken to the game over screen, although they are allowed to retry from a previous day.
Different fruits provide different amounts of juice, with the lowest possible being half a cup, the maximum being 3, and the average being 1.4. The bottles have some Koppaite text on them. On the glass, there is the text ("FJ"), which could mean "fruit juice". On the frame, the word ("survival") can be read.
When two different juices are placed on the same bottle, the resulting juice's color will end up as a blend between the two. This is purely aesthetic and affects only the color seen on the bottle. To determine the final color, the game averages the hue and value components of both the existing and the new juice. This works fine for most cases, but can have some oddities; in the case where the player collects a Juicy Gaggle and a Zest Bomb and their juices are combined, this results in the color #00FFE5, which is a vibrant blue. Although this color blend is correct, it does not look very natural; indeed, in the real world, combining raspberry and lime juice results in a grayish-brown mix.
That said, there is an exception for the first fruit of a saved game. When the player collects the first fruit, a cutscene plays showing said fruit being juiced. For unknown reasons, this cutscene affects the coloring calculations. If this fruit did not fill up a bottle, then when the player collects a second fruit, the resulting juice color will be more biased towards the first fruit collected. This can be seen easily with the aforementioned Juicy Gaggle and Zest Bomb – if the player collects one of these as their first fruit, the resulting "blue" juice will end up being greener or bluer than normal.
- Main article: KopPad.
"Piktamin U" is a vitamin that the Koppaites claim is in some fruits. Its name is a portmanteau of Pikmin and vitamin, and the "U" in the vitamin's name is a reference to the Wii U. Even the Golden Sunseed and Golden Grenade are said in Mission Mode tips to contain large amounts of Piktamin U, despite their composition.
Treasures as fruits
- Cupid's Grenade: same as the Pikmin 3 fruit. It weighs 3 instead of 1.
- Sunseed Berry: same as the Pikmin 3 fruit. It weighs 5 instead of 3.
- Combustion Berry: a larger strawberry.
- Seed of Greed: a chestnut; botanically a fruit.
- Disguised Delicacy: same as the Pikmin 3 fruit. However, it is only one slice and weighs 15 instead of 5.
- Insect Condo: same as the Pikmin 3 fruit. It weighs 15 instead of 10.
- Citrus Lump: same as the Pikmin 3 fruit. It weighs 15 instead of 5.
Additionally, some treasures in other series are botanically fruits, but not considered as such for culinary purposes. None return in Pikmin 3, though the Love Nugget returned in Pikmin 4.
- Love Nugget: a tomato.
- Infernal Vegetable: a bell pepper.
- Armored Nut: an acorn.
- Corpulent Nut: a larger acorn.
- Sunseed Berry: a strawberry which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Cupid's Grenade: a cherry which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Searing Acidshock: a Japanese apricot which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Velvety Dreamdrop: a loquat which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Astringent Clump: a grapefruit which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Wayward Moon: a muskmelon which now weighs 50 instead of 20.
- Lesser Mock Bottom: a Japanese plum which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Mock Bottom: a peach which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Dawn Pustules: white muscat grapes which now weigh 15 instead of 20, or 1 per part.
- Dusk Pustules: purple grapes which now weigh 15 instead of 20, or 1 per part.
- Crimson Banquet: a watermelon which has now weighs 100 instead of 42, or 1, 5, 5, 8 and 15 in individual pieces.
- Juicy Gaggle: a raspberry which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Zest Bomb: a lime which now weighs 7 instead of 5.
- Delectable Bouquet: a fig which now weighs 10 instead of 8.
- Portable Sunset: a Japanese persimmon which now weighs 10 instead of 8.
- Tremendous Sniffer: a pear which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Crunchy Deluge: an Asian pear which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Disguised Delicacy: a kiwifruit which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3. (For a piece)
- Blonde Impostor: a golden kiwifruit which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3. (For a piece)
- Citrus Lump: a mandarin orange which now weighs 7 instead of 5.
- Face Wrinkler: a lemon which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Pocked Airhead: a dekopon which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Insect Condo: an apple which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Dapper Blob: a mangosteen which now weighs 5 instead of 3.
- Scaly Custard: an avocado which now weighs 10 instead of 8.
- Seed Hive: a papaya which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Stellar Extrusion: a starfruit which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3. (For a piece)
- Heroine's Tear: a mango which now weighs 12 instead of 10.
- Slapstick Crescent: a banana which has the same weight as in Pikmin 3.
- Fire-Breathing Feast: a dragon fruit/pitaya which now weighs 20 instead of 15.
- Crush Nugget: a cherry tomato
- Crew-Cut Gourd: a zucchini
- Mysterious Carriage: a pumpkin
- Snack Bean: a peanut
- Foolish Fruit: an eggplant
- Bearing Fruit: Collecting a fruit in Story Mode.
- Fruitful Endeavor: Collecting 20 fruits in Story Mode.
- Fruit Force: Collecting 30 fruits in Story Mode.
- Fruit Ballad: Collecting all 66 fruits in Story Mode.
- Efficiency Expert: Having 30 days' worth of juice reserve.
Bearing Fruit. The badge shows a Sunseed Berry.
Fruitful Endeavor. The badge shows a Sunseed Berry and a Slapstick Crescent.
At the end of the day, Brittany recaps and juices the collected fruits, and analyzes new ones.
Every fruit from the Tropical Wilds.
- According to Brittany's notes, Alph is allergic to both the Heroine's Tear and the Scaly Custard, although the latter is only stated in the European version.
- Including Mission Mode and Bingo Battle, the Cupid's Grenade is the most common normal fruit in Pikmin 3, appearing 20 times. The most common golden fruit is the Golden Grenade, appearing 23 times.
- All the fruits in Pikmin 3 appear to be fresh and undamaged, which is odd, considering some of them are buried, underwater, not growing on any plant (except a few), and even ingested by creatures. This is likely to make them more easily recognizable.
- Next to the Sunseed Berry in the Garden of Hope along the path to the Rock Onion, an unripe strawberry on a stem can be seen to the right of the ripe fruit. While this fruit never grows, it implies that more fruit can grow on PNF-404 over time.
- The Fruit Files for Dawn Pustules and Dusk Pustules state 20 Pikmin are needed to carry them. While there are 20 grapes to carry in each, just one Pikmin can hypothetically handle the entire task by carrying one at a time.
Names in other languages
|German||Nahrungsquelle||Source of nourishment|
|From ピクミン (Pikmin) and ビタミン (vitamin)|
|From 皮克敏 (Pikmin) and 維他命 (vitamin)|
|From 皮克敏 (Pikmin) and 维他命 (vitamin)|
|French||Pictamine U||From "Pikmin" and "vitamine" (vitamin)|
|German||Pikamin U||From "Pikmin" and "Vitamin" (vitamin)|
|Italian||Pikamina U||From "Pikmin" and "vitamina" (vitamin)|
|From 피크민 (Pikmin) and 비타민 (vitamin)|
|Spanish||Piktamina U||From "Pikmin" and "vitamina" (vitamin)|
- YouTube video demonstrating the different outcomes for blue juice, published on September 21st, 2020, retrieved on September 23rd, 2020
- “Golden Sunseeds are packed with Piktamin U! One of these gives you × 200!” – Loading screen tip in Mission Mode
- “Golden Grenades are packed with Piktamin U! One of these gives you × 100!” – Loading screen tip in Mission Mode
This article was a featured article from October 1st, 2015 to December 1st, 2015.