|Age||Adulthood (over 50 years old)|
|Known related characters||Wife|
|Height||1.9 cm (0.75 inches)|
|Voice actor||Kazumi Totaka (Pikmin 2, Pikmin 3 Deluxe)|
|First game||Pikmin 2|
|Latest game||Pikmin 4 (cameo)|
The President (社長?) is the owner or co-owner of Hocotate Freight, and a playable character in Pikmin 2. He also plays a minor role in Pikmin 3 Deluxe during the Olimar's Comeback side stories. In Pikmin 4, he is depicted in Olimar's logs and Louie's logs.
Although the President was not seen until Pikmin 2, he was alluded to by Olimar in his daily journal entries in the first game. The only known family member is his wife, who occasionally sends messages to him.
In Pikmin, Olimar references him in various entries for ship parts and daily logs, in which he is simply referred to as "boss".
He runs into financial trouble after Louie, a new employee, shipping a supply of the very valuable Golden Pikpik carrots, is reportedly attacked by a ravenous space bunny who is said to have devoured the entire cargo of carrots. The President takes out a large loan to reimburse the loss of the golden Pikpik carrots, and has no way of repaying the enormous debt. He sells off the only company asset, Captain Olimar's ship, the S.S. Dolphin, in Olimar's absence, but it only makes a small dent in the enormous loan, as × 10,100 are still owed.
This, occurring after the events of Pikmin, surprises Captain Olimar who just returned to Hocotate. He is so surprised by the news, in fact, that he drops a souvenir he brought back from his adventure for his son. The souvenir, a bottle cap, is collected by the ship, which then evaluates the item as a treasure and worth × 100, reducing the debt to an even 10,000. The President then orders Olimar and Louie to recover more treasure so that the debt is repaid.
During their absence, the President sends periodic letters to the duo. He eventually discovers that the loan came from the All-Devouring Black Hole Loan Sharks instead of Happy Hocotate Savings & Loan, and goes into hiding from the loan company's threats, temporarily living under a bridge, and eating grass to survive. Eventually, he gets caught, and is threatened with death.
During the events of Pikmin 2's story, it is revealed that the President is over 50 years old. Assuming The President started working at the company at least after he was 10, he's probably over 60 years old. Additionally, Hey! Pikmin reveals that The President is older than Olimar, who is somewhere in his adulthood.
In Pikmin 3
At an unknown point after the events of Pikmin 2, the President squandered his newfound fortune on a failed business venture, consequently ordering Olimar and Louie to collect more treasure from PNF-404 to pay off Hocotate Freight's debts once again. He does not appear in person, having supposedly gone on vacation.
In Pikmin 3 Deluxe
In Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the President plays a minor role in the Side Stories mode. In it, following Olimar's rescue from the Plasm Wraith, he and Louie inform the President that they abandoned the Hocotate ship. Furiously, the President demands that they go back to PNF-404 to retrieve it. While not appearing directly, his correspondence provides hints for the player in the day select and loading screens, and will also comment on the player's final score at the end of each level.
Traits and abilities
The President displays many of the same abilities of Olimar and Louie. His spacesuit consists of the suit he wore while on Hocotate (or one that looks identical), a helmet, and white gloves. His life-support backpack is also yellow, and his antenna bears the same blue light as Louie's. His whistle sounds more like a car horn than a regular whistle.
The President is the main source of mail in Pikmin 2 before the debt has been paid off, his news getting worse as he finds out that the lending agency he actually used was the All-Devouring Black Hole Loan Sharks, as opposed to Happy Hocotate Savings and Loan, and goes into hiding.
After the debt is erased, Louie is left behind on the planet, and the President goes to help Olimar find him (albeit with the intent of collecting the planet's remaining treasure). When switching to him while playing after that, he calls himself "Chacho", from ル・チャチョー?, which is said to be his real name in Japanese materials, and is a play on 社長? (lit.: "company president"). He becomes a playable character from then on, and permanently takes Louie's place as a Pikmin leader. His wife says in some pieces of mail that she is "the REAL boss" of the company, which is confirmed by the President's bio on the Pikmin Garden website.
In Pikmin 3, he is seen in various different Data Files that explain controls and other mechanics. Oddly, he has a yellow suit in the files, where he has a black suit with a yellow backpack in Pikmin 2. He is also referenced in some of Olimar's logs, such as comparing a similar looking snowman in the Distant Tundra, in which the nose is an Iron Ball which can be pushed out of place. Likewise, in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, he is referenced in Olimar's Log Vol. 2, with one actually being a message sent by him complaining about Olimar's lack of updates. He also cameos in Bingo Battle as the "Lucky Marble".
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Pikmin Garden bio
趣味 お金もうけ夢 ホコタテ運送を宇宙一の会社にすること”
“President of Hocotate Freight
Home planet: Hocotate
President of Hocotate Freight. He loves money and works his employees hard, but he somehow has a hard to dislike personality. In his youth, he was a great adventurer who traveled throughout the universe.
Related persons: wife (great president of Hocotate Freight)
Hobbies: making moneyDreams: making Hocotate Freight the greatest company in the universe”
Names in other languages
|From 社長? (lit.: "president")|
|From Japanese name||Used in the Pikmin Garden website.|
|From 사장 (president)||Used in the Pikmin Garden website.|
Artwork of the President in his spacesuit.
The President and Louie in the intro cutscene of Pikmin 2.
The President as seen on the Exploration Notes. Note that this is the only depiction of him where he is colored yellow.
- According to the official Nintendo website, the real name of the president is Le Chacho.
- The President is one of three leaders with facial hair, the others being Captain Charlie and the Pikmin 4 player character if the player chooses to give them a moustache.
- If the player takes a long time to repay the last part of the debt in Pikmin 2, the President will get caught by debt collectors, though this does not cause anything else to happen.
- When switching to him in Pikmin 2, The President will say his name, like Olimar and Louie. However, unlike them, his Japanese name is not the same as his English name.
- In Olimar's voyage log he mentions his boss was in charge of the Pilot's Union. It is not known if he is referring to the President.
- “You know, Olimar, I've been in this business for over 50 years, and I've never heard of space bunnies in that shipping lane. I have some doubts about Louie's accident...” – The President in a piece of mail
- Development staff interview for Pikmin 2 on Wayback Machine
- Credits sequence for Pikmin 3 Deluxe on Pikipedia
- “Today, I tried building a small room at the top of a tree. It reminded me of my younger days, when I lived in a little shed. Those memories help make this bearable.” – The President in a letter
- “Louie... When I was about your age, I made my name thunder through the universe as a great explorer. Model yourself after me, son, and you'll go places. Persevere!” – The President in a letter
- “Hello... I am still on the lam from debt collectors. For the time being, I've decided to live under the bridge, but if they catch me, I don't know what they'll do to me...” – The President in a letter
- “Today, a group from the government offices paid me a visit. They kicked me out from under the bridge as if I were trash. The animals left... I have nowhere left to turn...” – The President in a letter
- “I found some tasty grass today. It was the first time in a while that I could eat until I was full. I've become one heck of a grass and root chef... Maybe I'll write a book.” – The President in a letter
- “I have a regrettable message. I have been caught. If I don't pay off the company debt right away, I'm to be buried in Hocotate Swamp. It's bleak here... Hurry!” – The President in a letter
- “I hope that when I'm our president's age, I'm not like him at all.” – Captain Olimar in his notes on the Grown-Up Dynamo
- “Your notification report was wrong again. How many times do I have to correct you? It's because of behavior like this that I, the REAL boss, have to work so hard.” – The President's wife in a letter
- “社長の本名は…、「ル・チャチョー」。。。?, lit.: "The president's real name is... Le Chacho."” – tidbit in the official website
- Japanese "Pikmin Garden" website crew member list on Nintendo, retrieved on June 22nd, 2023
- “When I am surrounded by legions of Pikmin, I always picture the face of my boss, the head of Pilot Union. He was always so sharp-tongued with his orders, but I imagine he must have felt much the way that I do now. It's funny, how a change in perspective can bring with it a deeper understanding of others.” – Captain Olimar in his voyage log
|Leaders||Captain Olimar • Louie • The President • Alph • Brittany • Charlie • Pikmin 4 player character|
|Rescue Corps||Oatchi • Collin • Shepherd • Russ • Dingo • Yonny • Bernard|
|Ships||S.S. Dolphin • Hocotate ship • S.S. Drake • S.S. Dolphin II • SPERO • S.S. Beagle • S.S. Shepherd|
|Other||Castaway • Leafling • Minor characters • Moss • Pikmin|