Violet Candypop Bud
|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Flora puniceus|
|Caves||Emergence Cave, Subterranean Complex, Frontier Cavern, Hole of Beasts, Bulblax Kingdom, Snagret Hole, Citadel of Spiders, Glutton's Kitchen, Shower Room, Submerged Castle, Cavern of Chaos|
|Challenge Mode levels||Novice Training|
|2-Player Battle levels||None|
|Pikmin produced||5 Purple Pikmin|
Violet Candypop Buds (ムラサキポンガシグサ?, lit.: "Purple Puffed Grain Weed") are purple Candypop Buds in Pikmin 2. They behave the same as all other Candypop Buds, except when non-Purple Pikmin are thrown in, they will change into Purple Pikmin. If Purple Pikmin are thrown in, they will be reverted to the leaf maturity. These plants are the only way to obtain Purple Pikmin.
The following is a list of all the locations of Violet Candypop Buds in each game. In Pikmin 2, if a player collects five Purple Pikmin from each plant encountered as they go along, without repeating caves, they will be able to nearly reach 100. Growing 100 Purple Pikmin is required to collect the Doomsday Apparatus. However, if a player wishes to build their number of Purple Pikmin later, choosing the right cave will greatly speed up the process. The Subterranean Complex is recommended if the player first needs more Pikmin to convert, as Queen Candypop Buds are present. However, if a player doesn't need or want to grow more Pikmin, such as in a 101 Pikmin run, the Bulblax Kingdom would be the fastest option. To note that many Violet Candypop Buds disappear after the player's total amount of Purple Pikmin has reached 20, as explained here. Using Bulbmin is also convenient for growing Purple Pikmin, such as in the Submerged Castle, where Purple Pikmin are needed to defeat the boss – the Waterwraith.
- Story mode
- Emergence Cave: Two on sublevel 2 (if the player has less than 20 Purples).
- Subterranean Complex: Three on sublevel 8 (Queen Candypop Buds available)
- Frontier Cavern: One on sublevel 1 (if the player has less than 20 Purples), one on sublevel 4 (Bulbmin available), and one on sublevel 5 (Bulbmin available).
- Hole of Beasts: Two on sublevel 2 (if the player has less than 20 Purples), and one on sublevel 4.
- Bulblax Kingdom: Two on sublevel 4, and one on sublevel 6.
- Snagret Hole: One on sublevel 3.
- Citadel of Spiders: One on sublevel 2 (if the player has less than 20 Purples).
- Glutton's Kitchen: One on sublevel 2 (if the player has less than 20 Purples), and one on sublevel 5 (Queen Candypop Bud available).
- Shower Room: One on sublevel 2 (if the player has less than 20 Purples), and one on sublevel 5 (Queen Candypop Bud available).
- Submerged Castle: Two on sublevel 5 (Bulbmin available).
- Cavern of Chaos: One on sublevel 5 (Queen Candypop Bud available).
- Challenge Mode
- Novice Training: Three on sublevel 1.
Pikmin 2 Nintendo Player's Guide
- Size: Length: 65mm, as per the e-card
- Pikmin 2 Piklopedia number: #49
The Violet Candypop Bud's e-card, #55.
- See more: Candypop Bud#Naming.
- Common name: Violet Candypop Bud. Violet is a shade of purple.
- Japanese nickname: ムラサキポンガシグサ?, lit.: "Purple Puffed Grain Weed".
- Japanese name: ムラサキポンガシグサ?. It is the same as the Japanese nickname.
- Scientific name: Flora puniceus. Puniceus may refer to Aster puniceus (now classified as as Symphyotrichum puniceum), a purple plant.
- Internal names: Unknown.
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
Murasaki Pongashi Gusa
|Purple Puffed Grain Weed|
|French (NoA)||Fleur cracheuse mauve||Mauve spitting flower|
|French (NoE)||Fleur Cracheuse Pourpre||Purple Spitting Flower|
|German||Violette Königinblume||Violet Queen Flower|
|Spanish (NoA)||Brote rebotador violeta||Violet bouncing bud|