The Forest Navel
|The Forest Navel|
|Ship parts||9 (list)|
|Pikmin discovered||Blue Pikmin|
|Requirements||Collect 5 ship parts|
|Music||The Forest Navel|
The Forest Navel (樹海のヘソ?, lit.: "Forest Navel") is the third area in the first Pikmin game. The entire area is underground and is accessed by a hole in a vast clearing of the forest. According to Captain Olimar, from high altitude it looks like a belly button, hence its name. One of the distinguishing features of this cave is the neighboring lakes of water at different altitudes, which are based on the real world structures called rimstone dams. This area is where Olimar meets Blue Pikmin for the first time. Nine pieces of his ship, the Dolphin, can be found in the area, as well as many new enemies. It is the only Pikmin area not to be remade in Pikmin 2, but remade in Pikmin 3 as downloadable content – it is known as Forgotten Cove.
In the center lies the landing site, which is surrounded by Pellet Posies and several places to obtain nectar. To the west is where Blue Pikmin are originally found. This part consists of several small pools of water, all the way to the north of the map. To the west of that is a narrow path covered with fire geysers. To the south is a sandy beach where Fiery Blowhogs can be found. There are also some bridges that should be constructed so that Pikmin can get back to the S.S. Dolphin. To the southwest lies a big lake with Wollywogs. To the southeast is a dark area with fire geysers and Common Glowcaps where the Puffstool can be found. And finally, to the east is the arena where Beady Long Legs is fought.
- Fiery Blowhog x 5
- Breadbug x 1
- Wollywog x 4
- Puffstool x 1
- Honeywisp x 5
- Male Sheargrub x 7
- Shearwig x 11
- Iridescent Flint Beetle x 2
- Beady Long Legs x 1
- Pellet Posies x 17 (the 5 blue Posies near the blue Onion do not replenish when torn down)
Challenge Mode breakdown
|Red 1 pellets||2||5||10|
|Red 5 pellets||5||4||20|
|Red 10 pellets||10||3||30|
|Red 20 pellets||20||3||60|
|Yellow 1 pellets||2||5||10|
|Yellow 5 pellets||5||6||30|
|Yellow 10 pellets||10||5||50|
|Yellow 20 pellets||20||2||40|
|Blue 1 pellets||2||8||16|
|Blue 5 pellets||5||6||30|
|Blue 10 pellets||10||4||40|
|Blue 20 pellets||20||2||40|
- Number 1 Ionium Jet: This part is located at the bottom of a series of pools of water.
- Gravity Jumper: At the far end of the beach filled with Fiery Blowhogs is a cliff with two bridges on either side. This part is in the middle of the two bridges.
- Automatic Gear: This part is atop a high ledge near where Blue Pikmin are discovered. This cliff is too high for even Yellow Pikmin to be thrown, so they must climb over a climbing stick on an opposite cliff.
- Space Float: This part is inside of a Breadbug that prowls the area. The nest of the Breadbug is located near the Gravity Jumper.
- Anti-Dioxin Filter: This part is located deep into the water beside the Fiery Blowhog beach. It is guarded by two Wollywogs.
- Libra: In one corner of the Fiery Blowhog beach is a gate. Past the gate and the fire geysers is a bridge, which can be built over the abyss to reach the ledge with the part atop it.
- Analog Computer: Beyond the Libra, past more fire geysers, is a pool of water containing this part.
- Omega Stabilizer: Near the cliff with the Gravity Jumper is a path leading to an arena guarded by mandiblards, a Wollywog and fire geysers. This part is inside of a Puffstool in the arena.
- Guard Satellite: Near the Omega Stabilizer, going up pathways, are several gates: two reinforced, and one regular. Inside one reinforced gate is an arena, inside which is the Beady Long Legs. The Beady Long Legs has the part.
There is a rare glitch that can happen in in this level. When the player defeats an enemy (usually the Wollywog), one or more Pikmin will vanish with no spirit shown. When this happens, sometimes the first Pikmin-counter gauge (on the bottom of the screen) will show more than the total number of Pikmin in the area. For example: 98/97/305. The Pikmin gauge should stay like that until sunset. This happens in other areas, but in The Forest Navel it is more common. This glitch can also occur when battling other enemies, and apparently even when there are no enemies around. This glitch can also happen in the Awakening Wood in Pikmin 2.
There is also a glitch that will cause Olimar to fall into the abyss by where the Libra is. In Challenge Mode (Pikmin), there are 3 large pellets in the very back area where the Analog Computer is in story mode. However, the path back to the Onions is too narrow for all 3 pellets to be carried back at once. If Olimar is standing between the pellets while they are being carried, he may get pushed off the edge, along with the pellet and possibly the Pikmin carrying it. Olimar will not die or respawn when he falls into the pit; in fact, he will not even fall at all. Instead, he will "float" over the pit as if there was invisible ground. Olimar can walk very far into the darkness, but it may be hard to tell where he is going, because the screen will not follow him. It's also possible to do it in Story Mode, by attracting shearwigs to the bridge and having them eat it.
To see a video of this glitch, click here.
If Olimar falls into the pit by any other means, he will simply respawn after a few seconds back in the same spot he was before he fell. The only other known way to fall into the abyss is to lure the Shearwigs by the Automatic Gear all the way to the island where the Libra is, which will cause them to start chewing the bridge.
There is a supposed glitch that can cause the Beady Long Legs to escape its arena.
The large dirt area that contains Fiery Blowhogs.
The location of the Gravity Jumper.
The large lake, with a Ramune bottle in it.
The entrance to the Puffstool area.
The entrance to the location where Blue Pikmin are first found.
The area where the Blue Pikmin Onion is first found.
The northernmost section of the area, where the Analog Computer can be found.
The Beady Long Legs arena.
Preview image on the area selection menu.
The radar pattern for The Forest Navel.
- There is a seemingly useless geyser near the bomb-rock location by the Gravity Jumper. If the player makes the Pikmin activate it and have Olimar use it, it will launch him up far into the air and make him land on the water. This has no relevance to getting any parts, nor does it aid Olimar in any way, meaning it could be an erroneous leftover from an older version of the map.
- The map of The Forest Navel very vaguely resembles a Bulborb or Bulbear. It is unknown whether or not this is intentional.
- All ship parts whose names begin with "A" are in The Forest Navel.
- There is a Ramune bottle on the lake in this area. Ramune bottles also appear in shapetst, and one bottle is the main focus of the second Pikmin Short Movie, Treasure in a Bottle.
Names in other languages
|French (NoA)||Le Nombril de la forêt (area selection screen)
Le Nombril de la Forêt (loading screen)
|The Forest navel|
The Forest Navel
|French (NoE)||Le Nombril de la Forêt||The Navel of the Forest|
|German||Zentrum des Waldes||Center of the Forest|
|Italian||Ombelico della Foresta||Navel of the Forest|
|Spanish (NoA)||El Ombligo del Bosque||The Navel of the Forest|
|Spanish (NoE)||El Ombligo del Bosque||The Navel of the Forest|
|The Forest Navel|
Click an object
Click an area on the image