Decorated Cannon Beetle
|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Granitus decorum|
|Areas||Valley of Repose, Wistful Wild|
|Caves||Frontier Cavern, Hole of Heroes|
|Challenge Mode stages||Brawny Abyss, Sniper Room|
|2-Player Battle stages||Brawl Yard|
|Attacks||Launches magnetic boulders|
Decorated Cannon Beetles (ミヤビフタクチ?, lit.: "Elegant Two-Mouth") are enemies in Pikmin 2. They have an appearance similar to Armored Cannon Beetle Larvae, but are red instead of green, and have orange eyes. Also, this particular species is never found buried in the ground like Armored Cannon Beetle Larvae. They, too, spit out stones, but their rocks home in on the currently active leader due to the magnetic field which envelops the boulders. The rocks are surprisingly frail, in that one can be destroyed by throwing a Purple Pikmin.
|7||15||8||× 4||850||2.55 HP/s|
Pikmin 2 Nintendo Player's Guide
Much like the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva, Decorated Cannon Beetles will wander aimlessly in a small area while left alone. Unlike their green counterparts, they will never be found buried in the ground. When approached, the larva will spit a large rock that crushes Pikmin, killing them instantly. These boulders move slowly compared to those shot by the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva, but they home in on nearby leaders. The rocks can be destroyed if they are lead into a wall, another enemy, and the impact of a purple Pikmin is even enough to break one. If the rock collides with another creature, it will deal a large amount of damage to them, enough to kill most small enemies. Certain creatures, however, are protected from the damage, such as Anode Beetles.
When attacked, the Decorated Cannon Beetle has only one defense: a bucking motion that will send all attacking Pikmin flying out in front of it, briefly incapacitating them and possibly deflowering them, and knock any nearby leader to the ground. This is very similar to defensive attack of the Fiery and Watery Blowhogs.
The following article or section contains guides.
The best way to defeat a Beetle is to use its own boulders against itself: since the rocks follow the leader, they can be manipulated into hitting the same Beetle that shot them. However, it is impossible to get a rock out of most lower water-filled areas. As a note, the rocks it shoots cannot be petrified, but they will not hurt the leader if he lies down. The boulders also act quite well against other enemies as well, killing small ones instantly and larger ones in one or two hits. Damage is determined by the speed of the stone and where the enemy is hit: hitting an enemy in the head will do more damage. If there is not enough room to do this, you should resort to using purple Pikmin to stun and quickly defeat the creature. Take a small group with you to avoid large amounts of death from the boulders. If the creature does get a chance to spit a rock, guide your Pikmin such that they are always on the opposite side of the leader that the boulder is approaching from, and lure it towards a nearby wall.
- For information on the rocks it spits, see Armored Cannon Larva technical information.
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Global properties (List)|
|s001||wallReflection||Unknown (wall bounce speed multiplier?)||0.5|
|s004||bounceFactor||Unknown (bounce when it hits the ground?)||0.3|
|fp01||マップとの当り||Unknown (related to slopes)||45|
|fp02||ダメージスケールXZ||Horizontal damage scale||0.35|
|fp03||ダメージスケールY||Vertical damage scale||0.25|
|fp04||ダメージフレーム||Damage scale duration||0.35|
|fp14||探索距離||Unknown (exploration radius?)||0|
|fp15||探索角度||Unknown (exploration angle?)||0|
|fp16||振り払い率||Successful shake rate||1|
|fp20||攻撃可能範囲||Unknown (shock attack max range?)||180|
|fp21||攻撃可能角度||Unknown (shock attack max angle?)||0|
|fp22||攻撃ヒット範囲||Unknown (attack hit range?)||25|
|fp23||攻撃ヒット角度||Unknown (attack hit angle?)||0|
|fp25||視界高||Unknown (height visibility?)||100|
|fp26||探索高||Unknown (exploration height?)||0|
|fp27||ライフの高さ||HP wheel height||50|
|fp29||警戒時間||Unknown (warning time?)||15|
|fp33||マップとのあたりポリゴンの選定||Collision processing radius||40|
|fp34||ピクミンとのあたり||Pikmin damage radius||15|
|fp36||ヒップドロップダメージ||Purple Pikmin drop damage||50|
|fp37||地震気絶確立||Purple Pikmin stun chance||0.3 (30%)|
|fp38||地震気絶時間||Purple Pikmin stun time||5|
|ip01||振り払い打撃Ａ||Shake mode 1 – hit count||3|
|ip02||振り払い張付１||Shake mode 1 – Pikmin requirement||2|
|ip03||振り払い打撃Ｂ||Shake mode 2 – hit count||3|
|ip04||振り払い張付２||Shake mode 2 – Pikmin requirement||5|
|ip05||振り払い打撃Ｃ||Shake mode 3 – hit count||3|
|ip06||振り払い張付３||Shake mode 3 – Pikmin requirement||10|
|ip07||振り払い打撃Ｄ||Shake mode 4 – hit count||3|
- Size: Body length: 100mm, as per the e-card
- Pikmin 2 Piklopedia number: #16
- See more: Lithopod family#Naming.
- Common name: Decorated Cannon Beetle. This creature's name differs from the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva's with the word "Decorated", which refers to its shiny red body. For reasons unknown, the word "Larva" is absent from its name when compared to the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva, despite it being a larva as well .
- Japanese nickname: ミヤビフタクチ?. It translates to "Elegant Two-Mouth", similar to the Armored Cannon Beetle's Japanese name.
- Japanese name: ミヤビイシツツミ?, lit.: "Elegant Stone Wrapper".
- Scientific name: Granitus decorum. Decorum is Latin for "decorated".
- Internal names: Internally, this enemy is called
rkabuto, which is the same as the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva's name, but starting with "r", for "red".
- Prerelease: In the GameCube Interactive Multi-Game Demo Disc Version 18, this beast's scientific name gains chukkulinae as the species name, and the usual decorum name is moved to subspecies, making its early scientific name Granitus chukkulinae decorum.
Names in other languages
Miyabi Futa Kuchi
|French||Scaracanon Paré||Decorated Cannon Beetle|
|Italian||Scarabeino corazzato ornato||Armored Adorned Cannon Beetle|
|Spanish (NoA)||Escarabajo tirador decorado||Decorated shooter beetle|
- On the Piklopedia, this enemy cannot be destroyed with its own projectile. If pikpik carrots are thrown such that the Beetle's rock chases after them, curves, and hits its launcher, it will break without damaging the beast.
- In the end of day sequence at the Valley of Repose, a Decorated Cannon Beetle often appears. Sometimes it will shoot rocks (which occasionally strike and injure/kill other enemies), inhale, and walk much faster than normal.
- If the game is paused just as the creature makes its first dying sound, some strange noises will be heard, that get lower and lower, lasting for more than 10 seconds. This sound is the same death sound as the Ravenous Whiskerpillar's, but slowed down and normally cut off early. The same will happen with an Armored Cannon Beetle Larva.
- The Decorated Cannon Beetle's boulders act much like the red shells from the Mario Kart series, in that both home in on targets. In addition, both the creature and shells share the same red coloration. This same similarity applies to the Armored Cannon Beetle Larva and green shells.
- Proto:Pikmin 2/Piklopedia Entries on The Cutting Room Floor