|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Lepidoptera pluckieus|
|Areas||Awakening Wood, Perplexing Pool, Wistful Wild|
|Challenge Mode stages||None|
|2-Player Battle stages||None|
The Ravenous Whiskerpillar (ハナゲイモ?, lit.: "Nose Hair Caterpillar") is an enemy in Pikmin 2. These enemies are not harmful to the Pikmin, but are dangerous to the Burgeoning Spiderwort plants. They will eat the berries on the plants, which are necessary to make sprays. They can be found in the Awakening Wood, the Perplexing Pool and the Wistful Wild; each time, they are near two or more Burgeoning Spiderwort plants. When confronted on a Burgeoning Spiderwort, they will drop off the plant and burrow into the ground, giving the player a chance to attack it. Strangely enough, when killed, they don't seem to be dead; carrying them will make them squirm and emit more of their hissing, and a soul does not appear. Just before they are pulled into the Onion, they struggle and hiss even more rapidly. The in-game Piklopedia states that they are a larval form of another creature, but it says that mature specimens have not been found yet. Interestingly, even though it is the only enemy that does not appear in any underground areas, it has a treasure value of 1 Poko according to the Piklopedia.
Pikmin 2 Nintendo Player's Guide
The following article or section contains guides.
If it's on a Burgeoning Spiderwort, send a couple of Pikmin up there to bring it down, then swarm it with the rest when it falls. Otherwise, just swarm it.
If it's on a Burgeoning Spiderwort, then wait for it to eat all the berries and kill it when it hops off of the plant. If on the ground, just punch it until it's dead. If the Rocket Fist upgrade has been unlocked, the third punch can hit the Whiskerpillar only when it's on the very bottom part of the berries.
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Global properties (List)|
|s001||wallReflection||Unknown (wall bounce speed multiplier?)||0.2|
|s004||bounceFactor||Unknown (bounce when it hits the ground?)||0.1|
|fp01||マップとの当り||Unknown (related to slopes)||12.5|
|fp02||ダメージスケールXZ||Horizontal damage scale||0.2|
|fp03||ダメージスケールY||Vertical damage scale||0.25|
|fp04||ダメージフレーム||Damage scale duration||0.35|
|fp14||探索距離||Unknown (exploration radius?)||0|
|fp15||探索角度||Unknown (exploration angle?)||0|
|fp16||振り払い率||Successful shake rate||0|
|fp20||攻撃可能範囲||Unknown (shock attack max range?)||0|
|fp21||攻撃可能角度||Unknown (shock attack max angle?)||0|
|fp22||攻撃ヒット範囲||Unknown (attack hit range?)||0|
|fp23||攻撃ヒット角度||Unknown (attack hit angle?)||0|
|fp25||視界高||Unknown (height visibility?)||0|
|fp26||探索高||Unknown (exploration height?)||0|
|fp27||ライフの高さ||HP wheel height||50|
|fp29||警戒時間||Unknown (warning time?)||0|
|fp33||マップとのあたりポリゴンの選定||Collision processing radius||25|
|fp34||ピクミンとのあたり||Pikmin damage radius||10|
|fp36||ヒップドロップダメージ||Purple Pikmin drop damage||50|
|fp37||地震気絶確立||Purple Pikmin stun chance||0.3 (30%)|
|fp38||地震気絶時間||Purple Pikmin stun time||5|
|ip01||振り払い打撃Ａ||Shake mode 1 – hit count||0|
|ip02||振り払い張付１||Shake mode 1 – Pikmin requirement||0|
|ip03||振り払い打撃Ｂ||Shake mode 2 – hit count||0|
|ip04||振り払い張付２||Shake mode 2 – Pikmin requirement||0|
|ip05||振り払い打撃Ｃ||Shake mode 3 – hit count||0|
|ip06||振り払い張付３||Shake mode 3 – Pikmin requirement||0|
|ip07||振り払い打撃Ｄ||Shake mode 4 – hit count||0|
|fp01||草登り速度||Spiderwort climbing speed||2|
|fp02||種周回速度||Unknown (movement speed on top of the plant?)||0.3|
|fp11||実食い時間||Time spent eating a berry||10|
|fp90||Translate補正||Unknown (translation correction?)||0.75|
|fp91||Rotate補正||Unknown (rotation correction?)||0.075|
- Size: Body length: 36.5mm, as per the e-card
- Pikmin 2 Piklopedia number: #27
- See more: Whiskerpillar family#Naming.
- Common name: "Ravenous" means "starving", and "Whiskerpillar" is a combination of "whisker" and "caterpillar". Indeed, the creature is always hungry for berries, and looks like a regular real world caterpillar, but with whiskers.
- Japanese nickname: ハナゲイモ?. ハナゲ? is Japanese for "nose hair", referring to its whisker-like hairs, and イモ? is likely part of the word イモムシ?, which means "hornworm" (the caterpillar of a hawk moth).
- Japanese name: ハナゲムシ?, lit.: "Nose Hair Bug".
- Scientific name: Lepidoptera pluckieus. Lepidoptera (being used here as a genus), is the real world order of insects that include moths and butterflies, and pluckieus being similar to the English word "pluck", perhaps related to how the berries removed from the flower could be considered "plucked".
- Internal names: Internally, it is called
imomushi, or いもむし?, which means "caterpillar".
- Prerelease: In an unused early version of the game's script, this enemy is called "Fuzzy Whiskerpillar".
Names in other languages
|Nose Hair Caterpillar|
|French||Verbrisse Vorace||Ravenous Whiskerpillar|
|Italian||Anellide Vorace||Voracious Anellid|
|Spanish (NoA)||Voraz oruga mostachona||Voracious whiskered caterpillar|
Ravenous Whiskerpillars in the Piklopedia.
The Ravenous Whiskerpillar's e-card, #28 (5th yellow card).
- An enemy similar to the Ravenous Whiskerpillar was meant to appear in Pikmin 3, according to some unused files.
- Louie's recipe implies that he killed the specimen itself, as the Whiskerpillar does not die when defeated by the Pikmin.
- Pikmin 2/Early English Script on The Cutting Room Floor