|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Taraxacum rovinia|
|Areas||Awakening Wood, Wistful Wild|
|Caves||Snagret Hole, Cavern of Chaos, Hole of Heroes|
|Challenge Mode levels||Rumbling Grotto, Breeding Ground|
|2-Player Battle levels||None|
The Creeping Chrysanthemum (びっくり菊?, lit.: "Surprising Chrysanthemum") is an enemy in Pikmin 2. When dormant, it greatly resembles the large yellow flowers known as the Margaret used for level scenery. It can be told apart from the normal flowers, as it has one less flower, no leaves on the "stem", a slightly visible pattern on the stem, and the large flowers have the Chrysanthemum's eyes visible.
When Pikmin or the leaders get close, it will spring out of the ground, revealing its root-arms, its bulbous body, and its gigantic mouth that emerges from its tallest flower. It moves moderately slowly, and will return to its original spot if left alone for a while. It replants itself by standing above the spot where it originally came from and sucking itself into the ground until only the "flowers" remain. This enemy cannot be petrified while it is in the ground.
The Chrysanthemum is also a collectible trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
|10||20||12||× 7||2500||7.5 HP/s|
Its large mouth will pick up the Pikmin to eat them, but if it fails to capture any, it will slam its head into its body and fall to the ground, struggling to get back up. This presents an opportunity for the player to attack the Chrysanthemum. Its weak point is its body, which can be hit at all times. It is generally weak against medium-sized groups of Pikmin. The best way to defeat it is to simply swarm it, being careful not to let it eat any Pikmin. Another way is to daze it with Purple Pikmin then swarm to kill it. Yet another way is to quickly dart forward and attack, and when it tries to eat Pikmin, retreat. It will hit itself, knocking itself down. Use Purple Pikmin to quickly kill it when it is struggling to regain balance. Another good method of defeating it is to have one leader dismissed without any Pikmin and the other leader close by with Pikmin. Then, have the leader without any Pikmin wake up the creature and switch leaders as soon as it wakes up and start swarming or throwing Pikmin at the beast until it's dead.
After waking it, attack it until it does its recoil move, avoid it, then attack again. It's best to attack the Chrysanthemum from behind to minimize risk to the attacking leader. Alternatively, allowing the Chrysanthemum to bite and stun itself will allow for some extra punching time at the cost of increased risk to the leader.
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Global properties (List)|
|s001||wallReflection||Unknown (wall bounce speed multiplier?)||0.5|
|s004||bounceFactor||Unknown (bounce when it hits the ground?)||0.3|
|fp01||マップとの当り||Unknown (related to slopes)||40|
|fp02||ダメージスケールXZ||Horizontal damage scale||0.3|
|fp03||ダメージスケールY||Vertical damage scale||0.3|
|fp04||ダメージフレーム||Damage scale duration||0.35|
|fp14||探索距離||Unknown (exploration radius?)||500|
|fp15||探索角度||Unknown (exploration angle?)||120|
|fp16||振り払い率||Successful shake rate||1|
|fp20||攻撃可能範囲||Unknown (shock attack max range?)||75|
|fp21||攻撃可能角度||Unknown (shock attack max angle?)||25|
|fp22||攻撃ヒット範囲||Unknown (attack hit range?)||80|
|fp23||攻撃ヒット角度||Unknown (attack hit angle?)||30|
|fp25||視界高||Unknown (height visibility?)||50|
|fp26||探索高||Unknown (exploration height?)||100|
|fp27||ライフの高さ||HP wheel height||90|
|fp29||警戒時間||Unknown (warning time?)||15|
|fp33||マップとのあたりポリゴンの選定||Collision processing radius||50|
|fp34||ピクミンとのあたり||Pikmin damage radius||30|
|fp36||ヒップドロップダメージ||Purple Pikmin drop damage||50|
|fp37||地震気絶確立||Purple Pikmin stun chance||0.3 (30%)|
|fp38||地震気絶時間||Purple Pikmin stun time||5|
|ip01||振り払い打撃Ａ||Shake mode 1 – hit count||6|
|ip02||振り払い張付１||Shake mode 1 – Pikmin requirement||5|
|ip03||振り払い打撃Ｂ||Shake mode 2 – hit count||12|
|ip04||振り払い張付２||Shake mode 2 – Pikmin requirement||10|
|ip05||振り払い打撃Ｃ||Shake mode 3 – hit count||17|
|ip06||振り払い張付３||Shake mode 3 – Pikmin requirement||20|
|ip07||振り払い打撃Ｄ||Shake mode 4 – hit count||22|
|fp01||足元範囲||Unknown (foot range? – seemingly unused)||30|
|fp02||白ピクミン毒||White Pikmin poison damage||2500|
- Size: Height: 135mm, as per the e-card
- Pikmin 2 Piklopedia number: #52
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
This enemy appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Common name: "Chrysanthemum" is the family name for the enemy and the Margaret, known in the real world as a chrysanthemum. "Creeping" refers to its startling hiding and emerging behavior.
- Japanese nickname: びっくり菊?. It translates to something closer to "Surprising Chrysanthemum", given the surprise caused when it reveals itself to not be a simple plant.
- Japanese name: キクヅモリ?. Likely from 菊作り?, lit.: "chrysanthemum growing" and 森?, lit.: "forest".
- Scientific name: Taraxacum rovinia. Taraxacum is the real world genus for the Dandelion. Rovinia may be derived from the verb "rove".
- Internal names: Its internal name,
hana, simply means 花? (lit.: "flower").
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||びっくり菊 / ビックリ菊?
|French||Chrysanthème Rampant||Creeping Chrysanthemum|
|German||Kriechende Chrysantheme||Creeping Chrysanthemum|
|Italian||Crisantemo Strisciante||Slithering Chrysanthemum|
A Creeping Chrysanthemum in the Piklopedia.
A real world chrysanthemum.
The creature's e-card, #58 (10th red card).
- The Creeping Crysanthemum shares a genus name with the Dandelion even though they are in separate families; in real life, this is impossible, as different species cannot be in the same genus and different families. This is likely a mistake.
- This enemy, having a red top and a big green belly, resembles Petey Piranha from the Mario series, especially when filled with water in Super Mario Sunshine.
- さまざまな生物［けっこう危険な生物］ on the official Japanese Pikmin 2 website, retrieved on December 10th, 2022