- For the tool in Pikmin Bloom, see detector.
|Series||Explorer's Friend Series|
|Maximum carriers||45 Pikmin|
|Location||Hole of Beasts|
|Challenge Mode levels||Collector's Room, Secret Testing Range|
The Prototype Detector (おたからセンサープロトタイプ?, lit.: "Treasure Sensor Prototype") is a treasure in Pikmin 2. It is a toy called a "Love Tester", produced by Nintendo in the 1970s. It is found on the last sublevel (5) of the Hole of Beasts, and is held by this cave's boss, the Empress Bulblax. Retrieving this treasure unlocks the Treasure Gauge as an upgrade. Like some other treasures, if the player defeats the Empress Bulblax, but does not have enough Pikmin to carry the Prototype Detector, which requires the strength of 35 Pikmin, it will change weight to match the player's army.
“How bizarre. This device is emitting black light. I must have been ingested by that creature.
What an absolutely repulsive life-form. Our return to Hocotate cannot come soon enough.
This contraption seems to react when it approaches treasure. I will connect it to my radar.
Processing...complete. The Treasure Gauge is now fully operational!It will now appear on your monitor. The needle will move right as you approach treasure.”
- The Exploration Kit ability that collecting this treasure gives the player, the Treasure Gauge, was originally going to be called the "Pikpik Radar".
- This treasure's weight changes depending on the amount of Pikmin within the player's squad, from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 35.
Names in other languages
Otakara Sensar Purototaipu
|Treasure Sensor Prototype|
|French||Prototype de Détection||Prototype Detector|
|Spanish||Detector prototipo||Prototype detector|
- ^ Pikmin 2/Early English Script on The Cutting Room Floor
- ^ YouTube video showing the Prototype Detector carried with a single Pikmin
This article was a featured article from March 1st, 2015 to June 1st, 2015.