|Appears in||Pikmin 3|
|Scientific name||Sulucina vulcanis|
|Areas||Tropical Wilds, Distant Tundra|
|Mission Mode Collect Treasure! levels||Tropical Forest, Thirsty Desert, Tropical Forest Remix|
|Mission Mode Battle Enemies! levels||Twilight Hollow, Shaded Garden, Tropical Wilds Remix, Distant Tundra Remix|
|Side Story levels||Land, Sea, and Sky, The Ship Restored|
|Bingo Battle levels||Rusted Labyrinth, Corroded Maze|
The Pyroclasmic Slooch (カジオコシ?, lit.: "Fire Hazard Starter") is an enemy in Pikmin 3. It is a slug-like creature that leaves behind a dangerous trail of fire. They are black in appearance, with stripes of yellow-reddish gradient looping around their body in a pattern resembling that of flowing lava. They have two antennae near the top of their cone-shaped bodies. The Pyroclasmic Slooch is also covered in a combustible slime which it leaves behind as it moves. When killed, the Slooch shrinks considerably and loses its bright red stripes. It will also cease to burn, allowing all types of Pikmin to carry it.
|3||6 (normally)||4|| × 20
“Structural flaw: low speed
“Structural flaw: low speed
Pikmin 3 website
Pikmin 3 Prima Guide
The Pyroclasmic Slooch's only threatening quality is its fire. It has very few hit points, moves at a sluggish pace, and its tongue attack is relatively slow, predictable, and can get only a few Pikmin at a time. Red Pikmin are the only type of Pikmin that can be used to consistently damage it when it sports its coat of fire. If a Slooch is lead into water, however, it can easily be attacked by any type, as its flame goes out. Though it is not too threatening when it is confronted directly, the Slooch's trail of fire can became a dangerous hazard for any non-Red Pikmin carrying items anywhere, as they will not attempt to avoid it. After being defeated, the creature's body will shrink and the trail of fire will linger behind it for a few seconds before fading.
The following article or section contains guides.
The Slooch is easy prey for Red Pikmin. Due to the creature's low speed and incredibly weak defense, you can take it out with ease with only a few Red Pikmin. It may try to shake them off, but it will likely not succeed in this provided you have at least five Pikmin on the creature, and if you swarm it with a group of 10 or more, it will likely not even be able to begin this animation. Provided you have Red Pikmin with you, its best to defeat any Pyroclasmic Slooch the first time you see it, as overlooking it may result in it catching a few Pikmin as you pass by or its fire trail later harming Pikmin on their way back to the Onion.
Other types of Pikmin can actually attack the creature if they latch on to some points of its body. Rock Pikmin will also cause impact damage if thrown at it, however they must be called back before burning to death.
The leaders can actually damage the Slooch, however, you must position yourself just right; the punch range is short, but getting too close will result in a damaging burn, provided you don't have the Scorch Guard. If done correctly, you can defeat a Pyroclasmic Slooch relatively quickly with only leaders, due to its few hit points.
Also, if a Slooch goes in some water (for example, the puddles near the bamboo gate in the Distant Tundra), its fire will go out, allowing all Pikmin types to attack it more easily. It will only return to its fiery state if it touches the flames left behind by other Pyroclasmic Slooches. Touching a fire geyser will not restore its fire.
|Pikmin 3 technical information (?)|
|Rock Pikmin throw hits to kill||10|
|White Pikmin ingestions to kill||1|
|Bomb rock explosions to kill||1|
|Bomb rock ingestions to kill||1|
|Number of direct hits on top to kill||0|
|Damage to leaders||10|
|Mission Mode value||20|
- Common name: Pyroclasmic Slooch. "Pyroclasmic" is a play on pyroclastic flow, a fast moving current of hot gas or rock commonly found in volcanoes. "Slooch" is similar to slug.
- Japanese nickname: カジオコシ?, lit.: "Fire Hazard Starter".
- Japanese name: アオジタカジオコシ?, lit.: "Blue Tongue Fire Hazard Starter".
- Scientific name: Sulucina vulcanis. Vulcanis is derived from Vulcan (or Vulcānus in Latin), the Roman god of fire, in reference to the Pyroclasmic Slooch's own fire.
- Internal names: Internally, its name is
kajiokoshi, which matches the Japanese nickname.
- Prerelease: In prerelease footage, the Pyroclasmic Slooch's name was written as "Pyroplasmic Slooch", which could either be alluding to either plasma, a state of matter defined as a gas of ions, or plasm, a word roughly meaning "living substance".
Names in other languages
|Fire Hazard Starter|
|Italian||Lumaca incendiaria||Incendiary slug|
A Pyroclasmic Slooch at the Distant Tundra.
- The Pyroclasmic Slooch was one of the first new enemies in Pikmin 3 revealed, in Nintendo's E3 2012 presentation.
- In the Distant Tundra, there's a group of Pyroclasmic Slooches in the cave where the Bulbear and fire geysers are found. After discovering the ultra-spicy spray, the middle Pyroclasmic Slooch will sometimes drop a dose of it.
- YouTube video demonstrating how other Pikmin types can attack the creature