Baldy Long Legs
|Appears in||Pikmin 3, Pikmin 4|
|Scientific name||Pseudoarachnia calvitium|
|Areas||Blossoming Arcadia (Olimar's Shipwreck Tale), Giant's Hearth (night), Primordial Thicket|
|Caves||Cavern for a King|
|Mission Mode Collect Treasure! stages||Forgotten Cove|
|Mission Mode Battle Enemies! stages||Tropical Forest, Tropical Wilds Remix, Clockwork Chasm|
|Side Story days||Tundra, The Ship Restored|
|Dandori Challenge stages||None|
|Dandori Battle stages||Final Battle|
|Bingo Battle stages||Sandbox Kingdom, Jigsaw Fortress|
Baldy Long Legs (ハゲダマグモ?, lit.: "Bald Orb Spider") is a hairless variant of the Shaggy Long Legs. Like other arachnorbs, it is quite large, its only method of attack is crushing Pikmin with its large feet, and its circular core is its weak-point. Unlike the Shaggy Long Legs, its joints are black like the rest of the legs instead of a light green.
It is the only enemy in Pikmin 3 that cannot be found naturally in Story Mode, and is exclusive to Mission Mode, Bingo Battle, and Side Stories. However, it can still be added to the Piklopedia by defeating a Shaggy Long Legs. It returns in Pikmin 4, sporting its tropical look, independently of the Shaggy Long Legs (who does not appear at all).
Relation to other arachnorbs
In the original release of Pikmin 3, the relation between the Baldy Long Legs and the Shaggy Long Legs was not known, and since they were both identified with different names when locked-on, they were considered different creatures. However, in Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Olimar's comment in the Piklopedia explains how it is simply the same creature, but without hair. Nevertheless, he notes how, because the hair never grows back, it is considered a different species. The same logs also clarify the difference between the Baldy Long Legs and the Beady Long Legs. This difference is the absence of wax on the Baldy Long Legs's exoskeleton, which allows Pikmin to climb it, unlike the Beady Long Legs. Beyond this, it also has flat footpads, a horizontal separation on the abdomen, and toes. These differences are of course shared with the Shaggy Long Legs.
|(?)||N/A||N/A||N/A|| × 100
“Structural flaw: central orb
“Baldy Long Legs
“If you lie down and look up while this hulking critter is walking over, you'll be treated to an impressive view of its giant round body soaring past like an orbiting planet. Of course, you may get squished flat by one of its massive feet and become a star yourself!”
In Pikmin 4, The Baldy Long Legs appears in the Primordial Thicket guarding The Autumnal Gully base. It may also appear in the Dandori Battle stage Final Battle. One is underground in the Sublevel 14 of Cavern for a King. It can also be found in the night expedition for Abandoned Throne in the Giant's Hearth, and Autumnal Gully in the Primordial Thicket.
The following article or section contains guides.
Like all Arachnorbs, the weak point of the Baldy Long Legs is its abdomen, which is suspended high up in the air by its spindly legs. As it marches around the field, it will crush anything in its path, so be sure to steer clear of its large, trampling feet. Instead, throw Pikmin at its legs to make them climb up. Be sure to throw them at the leg that has just stopped moving, so they can quickly reach the top before the Baldy Long Legs knocks them down. When they reach its head, they will attack it until the creature shakes them off. When it's about to shake, whistle your Pikmin off and wait for it to resume its stomping before you throw more at it.
Another strategy is to throw Pikmin directly at its core. Yellow and Winged Pikmin will reach it most of the time, but other Pikmin can do so too if they're thrown from a tall ledge. This tactic can be used to quickly get rid of it with little to no Pikmin losses, as it will be too busy shaking off Pikmin to attack.
To save time in the Mission Mode stage Tropical Wilds Remix, the player can simply leave 10 Winged Pikmin to kill the creature over time while the player focuses on other tasks. At the Clockwork Chasm in Battle enemies!, the Baldy Long Legs that appears here is easiest to defeat, as the elevated ledge it spawns on allows it to be dispatched with eight bomb rocks, which are plentiful on this stage.
If encountered in a Bingo Battle stage, it is recommended that the players do not fight it together, as the player's Pikmin will be more prone to attacking the other player's Pikmin, rather than the Baldy Long Legs, which will probably result in many casualties and possibly even a Pikmin extinction.
In Pikmin 4, although healthier, the fight is nearly identical to its appearance Pikmin 3. In the main campaign, a full squad of Winged Pikmin can make short work of it when it appears in the Primordial Thicket, even without ultra-spicy sprays. During Olimar's Shipwreck Tale however, the player will need to rely on Yellow Pikmin primarily to damage it, but can otherwise defeat it with little to no issue. The main exception is its appearance during the night expedition, in the both the Giant's Hearth and Primordial Thicket, where, while normal, is far more lethal to the mission as it can destroy Lumiknolls and Tricknolls alike with relative ease. As Glow Pikmin cannot fly like Winged Pikmin, the player should tackle the creature as soon as possible, once enough Pikmin are in tow. A single Glowmob with enough Glow Pikmin is usually enough to kill it without it shaking Pikmin away, but they will usually be among the first among awakening creatures to enter its primal state during the night expeditions.
In The Ship Restored, the final stage of Olimar's Comeback, a golden Baldy Long Legs can be found, alongside a golden Shaggy Long Legs, within the large arena at the bottom of the Formidable Oak. It behaves identically to the normal variety, with the only difference being its golden coloration. It contains the Analog Computer, so defeating it is needed to complete the mission.
This version also has unique battle music, which the other bosses in Side Stories do not have, including the Baldy Long Legs in Tundra. This indicates a sort of final boss nature, as the two golden arachnorbs are the last enemies one can encounter within the mode.
|Pikmin 3 technical information (?)|
|Rock Pikmin throw hits to kill||30|
|White Pikmin ingestions to kill||0|
|Bomb rock explosions to kill||5|
|Bomb rock ingestions to kill||0|
|Number of direct hits on top to kill||0|
|Damage to leaders||10|
|Mission Mode value||100|
- See more: Arachnorb family#Naming.
- Common name: Baldy Long Legs. The name is based off that of the Beady Long Legs, but with "Baldy" pointing out its lack of hair, compared to its original form - the Shaggy Long Legs.
- Japanese nickname: ハゲダマグモ?, lit.: "Bald Orb Spider". Its Japanese common name comes from はげ? (lit.: "bald"), 玉? (lit.: "ball") and くも? (lit.: "spider") making it the bald ball spider.
- Japanese name: ハダカオグシツユハライ?, lit.: "Bare Hair Tsuyuharai". オグシツユハライ? (lit.: "Hair Tsuyuharai") is the Japanese name for the Shaggy Long Legs.
- Scientific name: Pseudoarachnia calvitium. Calvitium is derived from "calvus", which is Latin for "bald". This is, once again, in reference to its lack of hair.
- Internal names: Internally, it is called
hagedamagumo, the same as its Japanese nickname.
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
The following article or section needs help from someone who can translate Korean text.
Hage Dama Gumo
|Bald Orb Spider|
Wúmáo Qiú Zhū
|Furless Orb Spider|
Wúmáo Qiú Zhū
|Furless Orb Spider|
|French||Nunu Longues Jambes
Nunu longues jambes (Pikmin 4)
|Nunu Long Legs
Nunu long legs (Pikmin 4)
|The name comes from "nu" (naked) and "Longues jambes" (Long legs)|
It is also a pun on "Lulu Longues Jambes", the French name for Shaggy Long Legs
|German||Kahles Langbein||Bald Long Legs|
Longopede (Pikmin 4)
Longfoot (Pikmin 4)
|The name is a compound of "lungo" (long) and "piede" (foot)|
|Bald Gourd Spider|
|Spanish||Pelota patas largas calvo||Bald long legs|
|Portuguese||Patalonga-lisa||Smooth longleg||"Patalonga" is a compound of "pata" (leg) and "longa" (long)|
A Baldy Long Legs in the Tropical Wilds Remix Mission Mode stage.
- The arctic variant of the Baldy Long Legs is never seen on its own, instead only being encountered when an arctic Shaggy Long Legs is stripped of its hair. The Baldy Long Legs in Tundra sports the species' "tropical" look despite its cold habitat.
- The Baldy Long Legs will expel a green slime from its abdomen as it dies.
- If the Baldy Long Legs steps on an enemy, it will crush and kill it.
- Uniquely, in Tropical Forest, this creature will follow a route all around the map, rather than spawning and staying within an arena.
- If the chosen Bingo Battle stage's layout has a Baldy Long Legs, it already begins in its starting position, instead of falling from the sky.
- In the Collect Treasure! version of Forgotten Cove, the creature drops a Crimson Banquet. Since the full fruit cannot fit inside the beast's body, the pieces appear smaller than normal when they fall out, and only then grow to their normal size in about half a second.
- When a Baldy Long Legs turns aggressive during night expeditions in Pikmin 4, the bulging sections just above and below the dividing line of the main orb will glow, similar to the eyes of other creatures when riled up. As it does not have visible eyes, it is unknown what exact function this body part (or part of the body) could serve.