|Pikmin 3, Pikmin 4
|Distant Tundra, Formidable Oak, Blossoming Arcadia, Hero's Hideaway
|Below-Grade Discotheque, Plunder Palace
|Mission Mode Collect Treasure! stages
|Shaded Garden Remix, The Rustyard, Forgotten Cove
|Mission Mode Battle Enemies! stages
|Silver Lake, Distant Tundra Remix, Clockwork Chasm
|Side Story days
|River, Tundra, Creature Hunting, First Part Found, Team Monster Hunt, Looking for Louie, Another Part Found, The Ship Restored
|Dandori Challenge stages
|Dandori Battle stages
|Bingo Battle stages
|Rusted Labyrinth, Jigsaw Fortress, Blooming Terrace, Parched Brook, Corroded Maze, Jigsaw Colosseum
|Eat Pikmin, electrocute Pikmin
The Bearded Amprat (ビリー?, lit.: "Billy") is a rodent-like enemy in Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 4. It attacks Pikmin by generating electricity, stunning all Pikmin attacking it (except Yellow Pikmin), and then eating them. It resembles a small white guinea pig with large brown spots on its face and back. Its head is rounded with small eyes in the front and no apparent ears. As its name implies, its face is draped in large amounts of long, straight hair which gives their face a slight resemblance to a skull. It has four small, mouse-like feet which it uses to move around and to grab prey. Unlike the rest of its body, the feet are green with brown tips on the toes, which lack claws. Its body ends in a few small brown spots and a skinny, mouse-like tail.
| × 50
“Structural flaw: soft hide
“This little cutie has a long beard that makes it look a bit curmudgeonly. But if you were to try brushing it, do so with caution! This dear one will... Well, see for yourself. Move in close to get a good look. A truly shocking experience awaits you.”
Pikmin 3 website
Pikmin 3 Prima Guide
“When a Bearded Amprat feels threatened, it rubs its face to build up a static charge. When the Bearded Amprat releases the charge, its whiskers lift up, exposing its sharp teeth. While its teeth are exposed, this enemy uses its front paws to feed nearby Pikmin into its mouth.When you attack a Bearded Amprat, use Yellow Pikmin to overcome the electrical charge. If you're not able to defeat the creature before it releases the charge, call your Pikmin away before they're eaten. Whenever possible, flank the creature to attack from the rear.”
Normally, the creature passively walks around its territory. When Pikmin or a leader come close, however, it will begin to rapidly rub its beard, generating electricity, which causes its hair to flare up and reveal its true face as it charges to try and grab Pikmin and eat them. This hair spikes up when they are attacked and electricity will begin to pulse through their entire body to harm all non-Yellow Pikmin. After a short period of being on the attack, or after the player leaves the creature alone, the Amprat will return to its neutral, harmless state of wandering around.
The following article or section contains guides.
Due to their electricity, in any case, the Bearded Amprat is best fought with Yellow Pikmin. Whether electricity is flowing through one's body or not, Yellows can be thrown onto the body to deal safe damage. However, the creature, when flared up, can still shake the Pikmin off and eat a few at a time, so you must stay alert and whistle them back before this happens. The leaders should keep a good distance from the Amprat while fighting because if a leader is struck, if you have not acquired the space suit upgrades, they will be forced back and immobilized briefly. This leaves the Pikmin vulnerable to any enemies in the area.
Red Pikmin and Rock Pikmin may also be used to defeat the Amprat efficiently, but with a greater risk. While the creature is roaming about, swarm it with at least 12 Red and Rock Pikmin to defeat it before it can react. If the creature does manage to charge up its electrical attack, then you should immediately call back all Pikmin, and move a considerable distance from it, or use nearby plants to hide in. The Amprat should calm down quickly, providing a second chance to attack and defeat it.
|Pikmin 3 technical information (?)
|Rock Pikmin throw hits to kill
|White Pikmin ingestions to kill
|Bomb rock explosions to kill
|Bomb rock ingestions to kill
|Number of direct hits on top to kill
|Damage to leaders
|Mission Mode value
- Common name: Bearded Amprat. The word "Bearded" refers to its long beard-like hairs on its face, and "Amprat" is a portmanteau of "Amp", a measurement unit of electricity, and "rat", a type of real-life rodent which it resembles.
- Japanese nickname: ビリー?, lit.: "Billy". It may be derived from ビリビリ?, an onomatopoeia often used in Japanese to describe the sound of electricity.
- Japanese name: テンジクシビレネズミ?. シビレ? means "numbness", referring to its ability to paralyze Pikmin, while テンジクネズミ? means "guinea pig".
- Scientific name: Porcellus barbavolta. Porcellus is the second word in the species name for guinea pigs, which the Bearded Amprat is similar to. Barba is Latin for "beard", while volta is derived from "Volt", a unit of electric potential.
- Internal names: Its internal name,
billy, matches its Japanese name.
- Prerelease: None.
Names in other languages
Diàn Xū Shǔ
|Electric Beard Rat
Diàn Xū Shǔ
|Electric Beard Rat
|The name is a portmanteau of "zap" and "capibara" (capybara)
|The french onomatopoeia for an electric shock
|The name is a portmanteau of "Volt" and "Hamster"
|"Estaticán" is a portmanteau of "estática" (static) and "can"
"lanudo" means wooly
|The name is a portmanteau of "capivara" (capybara) and "volt" (volt)
Yellow Pikmin attack the Bearded Amprat.
- The Bearded Amprat is one of the few creatures in the Pikmin universe that seems to retain some traits from modern-day mammals, which is noted by Olimar's log entry as being unusual.
- The Bearded Amprat is the only enemy that displays a visible anus, though the mouth of the Sandbelching Meerslug technically serves the same purpose.
- The Bearded Amprat's name is based on an "ampere", which is a unit of electric current.