|Appears in||Pikmin 2|
|Scientific name||Mandarachnia sulfurnid|
|Caves||Frontier Cavern, Hole of Heroes, Dream Den|
|Challenge Mode levels||Dweevil Nest, Hazard Training|
|2-Player Battle levels||None|
The Caustic Dweevil (ルリショイグモ?, lit.: "Lapis Lazuli Carrying Spider") is a member of the Dweevil family, a non-aggressive enemy found in Pikmin 2 that attacks in self-defense. As is typical of Dweevils, it picks up any treasure or enemy corpse it can find, only releasing it when Pikmin attack. The only offensive measure the beast can take is spraying an acidic bodily fluid that functions identically to water, meaning it chokes and drowns all Pikmin types except blue ones and Bulbmin, making those the best choice in battle against it.
|3||6||5[note 1]||× 2||150||No|
- ^ This enemy cannot be delivered to Onions in-game. This information is obtained from the game files.
Caustic Dweevils scurry about randomly and take no note of the presence of any leader or Pikmin if left undisturbed. When provoked one will attempt to defend itself by releasing a pressurized spurt of water below it. Caustic Dweevils are frail creatures and will die quickly if attacked by even a few Pikmin, or by the punches from a leader.
When a treasure or a corpse of another creature is nearby, a Caustic Dweevil will lift it up onto its head and carry it, making it impossible for Pikmin to collect until it is broken free. When a Dweevil has an item in its possession, it will stay at rest, crouching down, appearing as if it is only the item, until it is approached by a leader or Pikmin, at which point it will stand up and run away.
The following article or section contains guides.
Throw any type of Pikmin onto a Caustic Dweevil's small head. Although they can harm non-Blue Pikmin, they are weak and often die before getting a chance to attack at all, and this does not kill Pikmin instantly, allowing them to be whistled to safety by a leader if they do come into contact with the attack. Be aware, however, that depletion of a Dweevil's HP will not stop an oncoming attack, so if one starts its attack animation, be prepared to whistle your Pikmin back. Purple Pikmin are particularly useful in defeating large numbers of smaller Dweevils with ease, since they stun when thrown, halting any enemy attacks, usually until death.
Alternatively, you can use leaders to defeat the creature in an ultimately safer way. Run up to it and punch it until it begins its attacking animation, leaving plenty of time to run away before it attacks. Run back and continue the assault when the acid stops.
|Pikmin 2 technical information (?)|
|Global properties (List)|
|s001||wallReflection||Unknown (wall bounce speed multiplier?)||0.5|
|s004||bounceFactor||Unknown (bounce when it hits the ground?)||0.3|
|fp01||マップとの当り||Unknown (related to slopes)||30|
|fp02||ダメージスケールXZ||Horizontal damage scale||0.1|
|fp03||ダメージスケールY||Vertical damage scale||0.1|
|fp04||ダメージフレーム||Damage scale duration||0.5|
|fp14||探索距離||Unknown (exploration radius?)||300|
|fp15||探索角度||Unknown (exploration angle?)||90|
|fp16||振り払い率||Successful shake rate||1|
|fp20||攻撃可能範囲||Unknown (shock attack max range?)||25|
|fp21||攻撃可能角度||Unknown (shock attack max angle?)||25|
|fp22||攻撃ヒット範囲||Unknown (attack hit range?)||60|
|fp23||攻撃ヒット角度||Unknown (attack hit angle?)||0|
|fp25||視界高||Unknown (height visibility?)||50|
|fp26||探索高||Unknown (exploration height?)||50|
|fp27||ライフの高さ||HP wheel height||75|
|fp29||警戒時間||Unknown (warning time?)||15|
|fp33||マップとのあたりポリゴンの選定||Collision processing radius||25|
|fp34||ピクミンとのあたり||Pikmin damage radius||5|
|fp36||ヒップドロップダメージ||Purple Pikmin drop damage||50|
|fp37||地震気絶確立||Purple Pikmin stun chance||1 (100%)|
|fp38||地震気絶時間||Purple Pikmin stun time||5|
|ip01||振り払い打撃Ａ||Shake mode 1 – hit count||6|
|ip02||振り払い張付１||Shake mode 1 – Pikmin requirement||5|
|ip03||振り払い打撃Ｂ||Shake mode 2 – hit count||12|
|ip04||振り払い張付２||Shake mode 2 – Pikmin requirement||10|
|ip05||振り払い打撃Ｃ||Shake mode 3 – hit count||17|
|ip06||振り払い張付３||Shake mode 3 – Pikmin requirement||20|
|ip07||振り払い打撃Ｄ||Shake mode 4 – hit count||22|
|fp01||オタカラライフ||Unknown (damage until treasure is knocked off?)||80|
- Size: Leg span: 54mm, as per the e-card
- Pikmin 2 Piklopedia number: #39
- See more: Dweevil family#Naming.
- Common name: Caustic Dweevil. Something that is caustic can corrode living tissue, like acid. The Caustic Dweevil attacks with a water-like acidic liquid, as pointed out by Olimar's notes.
- Japanese nickname: ルリショイグモ?, lit.: "Lapis Lazuli Carrying Spider". Lapis lazuli is a blue stone.
- Japanese name: セオイカナエグモ?, lit.: "Carrying Ding Spider". It is shared with the Fiery, Anode, Munge and Volatile Dweevils.
- Scientific name: Mandarachnia sulfurnid. It uses the word sulfurnid, referring to sulfuric acid.
- Internal names: Internally, it is called
waterotakara, a combination of "water" and "otakara" ("treasure").
- Prerelease: Caustic Dweevils were initially called Acidic Dweevils, according to the early English script left unused inside Pikmin 2's files.
Names in other languages
Ruri Shoi Gumo
|Lapis Lazuli Carrying Spider|
|French||Araknéak Caustique||Caustic Dweevil|
|Italian||Opiliode caustico||Caustic Dweevil|
|Spanish (NoA)||Caustiaraña||Portmanteau of "caustico" (caustic) and "araña" (spider)|
The creature's e-card, #41.
- This is the only dweevil (excluding the Titan Dweevil) to be able to harm leaders even with every upgrade.
- The Caustic Dweevil was planned to be included on the 2-Player Battle Roulette Wheel as an enemy, but was eventually removed. It's paired up with the Fiery Dweevil, and it shares its removal with the Spotty Bulbear and the Antenna Beetle.
- ^ Pikmin 2/Early English Script on The Cutting Room Floor
This article was a featured article from January 26th to May 6th, 2009.